Landhi Korangi Zoo
September 18, 2012 (aquarium)
|Location||Korangi, Landhi Town,
Karachi District, Sindh,
|Land area||4 acres (2 ha)|
Landhi Korangi Zoo (Urdu: لانڈھی کورنگی چڑیا گھر ) established in 1990, is a zoological garden located at Korangi, Landhi Town, Karachi District, Sindh, Pakistan. It is spread over an area of approximately 4 acres (16,000 m2) and contains a fewer variety of animals compared to Karachi Zoo. The zoo operates under the City District Government Karachi and is a member of SAZARC.
In 2006, 4 million Pakistani rupees were allocated to the Landhi Korangi Zoo for bringing new animals particularly a pair of lions. The management of Karachi Zoo also provided two pairs of plains zebra, one male and two female of the red-necked wallaby, one pair of Arabian oryx and two pairs of ostrich.
Landhi Korangi Aquarium
In November 2004, construction plans for an aquarium, that had been on hold since 1992, were approved by nazim of the city. In June 2012, administrator of KMC, Muhammad Hussain Syed, told The Nation that the construction was going on speedily inside the Landhi Korangi Zoo. On September 18, 2012, Ishrat-ul-Ibad Khan, the Governor of Sindh, later inaugurated the Landhi Korangi Aquarium as the biggest aquarium in Pakistan to date.
- Ilyas, Faiza (December 15, 2008). "KARACHI: Harassed leopard forced to live in poor conditions". dawn.com. DAWN News. Retrieved September 13, 2010.
- Dawn Editorial (March 09, 2010). "Cruelty in zoos". dawn.com. DAWN News. Retrieved September 17, 2010.
- "Ibad opens fish aquarium at Korangi Zoo". brecorder.com. Business Recorder. September 18, 2012. Retrieved September 19, 2012.
- Khan, Jamil (April 30, 2005). "Landhi-Korangi Zoo". dawn.com. DAWN News. Retrieved September 13, 2010.
- "Rs 4 million allocated for buying pair of lions for Landhi Korangi Zoo". paktribune.com. Pak Tribune News. June 18, 2006. Retrieved September 13, 2010.
- "KARACHI: Work on Korangi Zoo aquarium to start soon". dawn.com. DAWN News. November 19, 2004. Retrieved September 13, 2010.
- "Pakistan’s biggest aviary to be completed soon". Karachi: The Nation. June 15, 2012. Retrieved December 10, 2012.