Abargil in 2014
February 17, 1980
|Known for||Miss Israel 1998
Miss World 1998
(Miss World Europe)
|Spouse(s)||Šarūnas Jasikevičius (2006–2008)
Oren Halfon (2010–present)
|Height||1.79 m (5 ft 10 1⁄2 in)|
Linor Abargil (Hebrew: לינור אברג'יל, sometimes spelled Linor Aberjil; born February 17, 1980) is an Israeli lawyer, actress, model, and beauty queen who won the Miss World beauty pageant in 1998, shortly after being raped. Since then, she has become a global advocate in the fight against sexual violence. She was crowned by her predecessor Miss World 1997, Diana Hayden.
Just seven weeks before being crowned Miss World, the then 18-year-old Abargil was raped at knifepoint by her travel agent, Uri Shlomo Nur, in Milan. She reported the rape to Italian authorities, who initially released Nur due to lack of evidence. She later reported the rape to Israeli authorities, who issued an arrest warrant for Nur and began extradition proceedings. Nur was eventually tricked into returning to Israel. He was tried for rape, and was convicted, with DNA evidence found in his car serving as the basis for his conviction. He was sentenced to 16 years in prison. Abargil called for other women to follow her example and report their rape to the police.
Abargil married Lithuanian basketball player Šarūnas Jasikevičius in a ceremony near Barcelona, in July 2006. They divorced in 2008. In 2010, Abargil married manager Oren Halfon, and embraced Orthodox Judaism. In 2012, she gave birth to twins (a son and a daughter), and in 2013, she gave birth to a daughter. Abargil also earned an undergraduate law degree from Netanya Academic College and was admitted to the Israeli Bar.
- "Linor cruises to Miss World title". BBC News. November 27, 1998. Retrieved July 12, 2010.
- "Take Back the Night features former Miss World Linor Abargil". Retrieved July 12, 2010.
- "Linor's Story". Brave Miss World. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- Kasriel, Alex (May 21, 2009). "How Miss World made rapist pay". Jewish Chronicle Online. Retrieved July 12, 2010.
- Follain, John (December 21, 2008). "Ex-Miss World to make graphic film of her rape". The Times Online. Retrieved July 12, 2010.
- "Pageant News Bureau (PNB) – Pageant News". Archived from the original on 2007-03-29.
- "The Linor Documentary Project". Archived from the original on December 25, 2008. Retrieved December 22, 2008.
- How Miss World made rapist pay
- ""Brave Miss World": Raped Before Winning '98 Title, Linor Abargil Campaigns Against Sexual Violence". Democracy Now. 2013-02-19.
- "Israel's Celebrity Wedding".
- ""Former Miss World to shoot 'inspirational' documentary about her rape"".
- "לינור אברג'יל". www.ishim.co.il.
- ארזואן, שי (22 May 2013). "קבלו את עורכת הדין - לינור אברג'יל" – via Ynet.
|Awards and achievements|
|Miss World Europe