List of Jordanian submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
Jordan is one of one hundred countries that have submitted films for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film. Their first submission was sent in Fall 2008. The award is handed out annually by the United States Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to a feature-length motion picture produced outside the United States that contains primarily non-English dialogue.
As of 2016[update] Jordan have submitted three films for Oscar consideration, with one of them being nominated.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has invited the film industries of various countries to submit their best film for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film since 1956. The Foreign Language Film Award Committee oversees the process and reviews all the submitted films. Following this, they vote via secret ballot to determine the five nominees for the award. Below is a list of the films that have been submitted by Jordan for review by the Academy for the award by year and the respective Academy Awards ceremony.
|Film title used in nomination||Original title||Director||Result|
|Captain Abu Raed||كابتن أبو رائد||Amin Matalqa||Not Nominated|
|Theeb||ذيب||Naji Abu Nowar||Nominated|
|3000 Nights||3000 ليلة||Mai Masri||Not Nominated|
Captain Abu Raed, the first feature film to be made in Jordan in fifty years, tells the story of an airport janitor who is mistaken as a pilot by a group of orphan children. It was directed by Los Angeles-based director, Amin Matalqa who studied filmmaking in the United States. Although the film was lauded by many Oscar pundits as a favorite, it ultimately failed to make the 9-film shortlist.
- List of Academy Award winners and nominees for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Academy Award-winning foreign language films
- Cinema of Jordan
- "Rule Thirteen: Special Rules for the Foreign Language Film Award". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 22 August 2013. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "History of the Academy Awards - Page 2". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 22 June 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-08.
- Ritman, Alex (8 September 2015). "Oscars: Jordan Selects 'Theeb' for Foreign-Language Category". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 8 September 2015.
- Ford, Rebecca (14 January 2016). "Oscar Nominations: The Complete List". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 14 January 2016.
- Ritman, Alex (27 September 2016). "Oscars: Jordan Selects '3000 Nights' for Foreign-Language Category". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- Matalqa, Amin. "Bringing Captain Abu Raed to Life". Moving Pictures Magazine. Archived from the original on 11 April 2009. Retrieved 2008-10-28.