List of Mudaliars
Mudaliar also Mudaliyar, 'Mudali and Moodley is a surname is generally prevalent among Indian Tamils and Sri Lankan Tamils and the Tamil diaspora though it is also used in other parts of South India. It is derived from the honorary title Mudali meaning a person of first rank in the Tamil language which was bestowed upon top-ranking bureaucratic officials and army officers in medieval south India.
The following is a list of notable personalities with the Mudaliar surname.
- 1 Historical personalities
- 2 Modern personalities
- 3 References
- Andaka Kaviviraraghava Mudaliar: A poet of the 16th century
Chieftains and ministers
- Vallal Sadaiyappa Mudaliar: 12th-century Velir chief who was a close friend and a patron of Tamil poet Kambar
- Ariyanatha Mudaliar: Vellala Dalavoy of the Vijayanagar viceroy Viswanatha Nayaka.
Social leaders, activists
- Makaral Karthikeya Mudaliar: Tamil scholar
- Pa. Subramania Mudaliar: Tamil scholar
- Mahavidwan Vasudeva Mudaliar: Tamil scholar
- T. K. Chidambaranatha Mudaliar: A scholar and author of Kambar tharum Ramayanam; hailed from Athur Mopothiyar Gothram of Tenkasi
- Pachaiyappa Mudaliar: Philanthropist after whom the Pachaiyappa's College,Pachiyappa's Trust Board, Chennai was named.*Raja Sir Ramaswamy Mudaliar: Philanthropist who endowed a hospital and dispensary in the Native infirmary
- Arcot Narrainsawmy Mudaliar, Philanthropist who founded the R.B.A.N.M.'s Educational Charities and R.B.A.N.M.'s Chattram and other Charities.
- C. Natesa Mudaliar: One of the founders of Justice Party
- Arcot Ramasamy Mudaliar, Indian lawyer, politician and statesman
- C. N. Annadurai Mudaliar: One of the founders of DMK and former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- C. S. Ratnasabhapathy Mudaliar, Father of Modern Coimbatore
- S. Muthiah Mudaliar,Ex Minister of Education(1928–30).
- C. Muttukumarasami Mudaliyar, Indian politician and hereditary zamindar of Chunampet. Member of the Madras Legislative Council 1904-7
- R. N. Arogyasamy Mudaliar: an Indian civil engineer and politician who served as the Minister of Development in the Madras Presidency from 1926 to 1928
- A. M. Ponnuranga Mudaliar: Former MLA of Sholinghur constituency, INC
- C. Ramaswamy Mudaliar (1905–1997), Indian politician from Indian National Congress. Member of Lok Sabha for Kumbakonam from 1951 to 1957.
- S. J. Ramaswamy Mudali: Former DMK MLA
- A. Ranganatha Mudaliar: Indian politician and theosophist from Bellary, first Commissioner of the Thirumala-Tirupathi devasthanam board from 1935 to 1939.
- S. C. Sadayappa Mudaliar: Former INC MLA
- S. V. Natesa Mudaliar: Former INC MLA from Kanchipuram, Famous for defeating former chief minister C.N Annadurai.
- A. R. Subbiah Mudaliar: Tamil Nadu politician
- C. P. Subbiah Mudaliar: Tamil Nadu politician
- Muniswamy Mudaliar: Fiji Indian politician
- O. V. Alagesa Mudaliar: freedom fighter and Tamil Nadu politician
- V. L. Ethiraj Mudaliar, founder of Ethiraj College for Women, Chennai; first Indian to be appointed as Crown Prosecutor by the British Raj
Civil service and judiciary
- S. Muthiah Mudaliar, High Court lawyer and politician, Justice party
- Arcot Ramasamy Mudaliar, Mayor of Madras (1928–30), Vice Chancellor of University of Kerala (1951–61), leader of the Justice Party politician, member of Winston Churchill's war cabinet, first President of ECOSOC and Founder of WHO, founding Chairman of ICICI Bank, Diwan of Mysore; awarded Padma Vibushan
- Kanakaraya Mudali, Chief dubash and a broker for the French East India Company
Arts and cinema
- Papanasa Mudaliar, Carnatic music composer
- Pammal Sambandha Mudaliar, playwright and director of Tamil drama
- R. Nataraja Mudaliar, pioneer in the production of silent films
- Tharini Mudaliar, Australian actress
Doctors,scientists and academicians
- Guruswami Mudaliar, first Indian to be appointed Professor of Therapeutics at the Madras Medical College, first Dean of Madras Medical college
- A. Lakshmanaswami Mudaliar, first Indian Principal of the Madras Medical College and longest-serving Vice Chancellor of the University of Madras; Chairman of UNESCO; awarded Padma Vibushan for Medicine, 1963
- C. Tadulinga Mudaliar, Indian botanist
- Varadarajan Mudaliar, mobster known as Vardha Bhai; the Tamil movie Nayagan was based on his life story
- Raja Mudaliar, richest trader in Malacca during the early 16th century
- "Irschick, Eugene F. Dialogue and History: Constructing South India, 1795-1895. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1994". Content.cdlib.org. Retrieved 2012-05-09.