List of countries by incarceration rate
This list is initially sorted alphabetically. Click the sorting cell below the incarceration rate header to sort by rate. The table can be sorted in ascending or descending order. The row number column on the left sorts independently from the columns to the right of it.
In the table below see "United Kingdom" to find the rates for Scotland, Northern Ireland, England and Wales. There is no rate here for the UK as a whole. South Korea is listed under Republic of (South) Korea. For info on North Korea see notes below.
China. The rate of 118 is for sentenced prisoners in 2015 in Ministry of Justice prisons only. International Centre for Prison Studies: "1 649 804 [prisoners] at mid-2015 (via Asian and Pacific Conference of Correctional Administrators - sentenced prisoners in Ministry of Justice prisons only, excluding pre-trial detainees and those held in administrative detention). The Deputy Procurator-General of the Supreme People's Procuratorate reported in 2009 that, in addition to the sentenced prisoners, more than 650,000 were held in detention centres In China. If this was still correct in mid-2015 the total prison population in China was at least 2,300,000. ... 118 [rate] based on an estimated national population of 1.4 billion at mid-2015 (from United Nations figures) - sentenced prisoners in Ministry of Justice prisons only. (A total prison population of 2,300,000 would raise the prison population rate to 164 per 100,000.)" See also: Re-education through labor and Laogai.
North Korea. Little information exists regarding North Korea's incarceration rate. The U.S. Committee for Human Rights in North Korea estimates 150,000 to 200,000 incarcerated based on testimony of defectors from the state police bureau, which roughly equals 600-800 people incarcerated per 100,000. For more info see Prisons in North Korea.
Seychelles also incarcerates some Somali pirates. Subtracting the Somali pirate inmates still leaves the Seychelles with the highest incarceration rate in the world. The incarceration rate was 799 per 100,000 population in 2014. The population of the Seychelles in 2014 was around 92,000. From a May 2013 BBC article: "Here, 66 Somalis are awaiting trial for piracy or, if already convicted, await deportation to serve their sentences back home. ... Here in Seychelles, another 17 were recently flown home to a UN-funded jail in the relatively secure region of Puntland in Somalia, to serve sentences that mostly range between 10 and 20 years - 59 have already been tried and sent back." From a March 2016 article: "There are currently 22 Somalis incarcerated at the Seychelles main detention facility, the Montagne Posée prison. This includes the last group of five that are being prosecuted. Seventeen convicts are awaiting transfer to continue serving their sentences in their homeland."
United Kingdom. Main chart source only provides rates for the constituent parts of the UK. In the above chart see Scotland, Northern Ireland, England and Wales. They are all listed separately under "United Kingdom" in the table.
United States. Incarceration rate (per 100,000 population of all ages) is for inmates held in adult facilities. In addition, there were 54,148 juveniles in juvenile detention in 2013. For more juvenile detention info and numbers see youth incarceration in the United States.
See notes at the bottom of a U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) source table: "Total includes all inmates held in local jails, state or federal prisons, or privately operated facilities. It does not include inmates held in U.S. territories (appendix table 3) or military facilities (appendix table 3), U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement [ICE] detention centers, in jails in Indian country (appendix table 3), or in juvenile facilities."
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to
- List of prisons
- List of countries by execution rate
- List of countries by intentional homicide rate
- List of U.S. states by homicide rate
- United States incarceration rate
- Category:Penal systems by country
- Category:Criminal justice statistics
- Highest to Lowest. World Prison Brief (WPF). International Centre for Prison Studies. Use dropdown menu to choose lists of countries by region, or the whole world. Use menu to select highest-to-lowest lists of prison population totals, prison population rates, percentage of pre-trial detainees / remand prisoners, percentage of female prisoners, percentage of foreign prisoners, and occupancy rate. Column headings in WPF tables can be clicked to reorder columns lowest to highest, or alphabetically. For detailed information for each country see the WPF main page and click on the map links and/or the sidebar links to get to the region and country desired. Data for the whole Wikipedia list was last retrieved on 1 Oct 2016. Some numbers may be adjusted here later according to later info, or other references. Please update the table here. For a quick method to fully update the table see the relevant section ("conversion examples") of Commons:Convert tables and charts to wiki code or image files.
- China. By International Centre for Prison Studies.
- The Hidden Gulag: The Lives and Voices of "Those Who are Sent to the Mountains", 2nd ed. By David Hawk. Published April 10th 2012 by Committee for Human Rights in North Korea. ISBN 0615623670.
- Seychelles. World Prison Brief. International Centre for Prison Studies.
- Seychelles population. Countrymeters.
- Seychelles cells: The Somali pirates 'jailed in paradise'. By Anthony Denselow. 19 May 2013. BBC.
- Last Somali pirates held in Seychelles to face charges, judge rules. By Sharon Uranie. Seychelles News Agency. March 4, 2016.
- Sickmund, M., Sladky, T.J., Kang, W., & Puzzanchera, C.. "Easy Access to the Census of Juveniles in Residential Placement". Click "National Crosstabs" at the top, and then choose the census years. Click "Show table" to get the total number of juvenile inmates for those years. Or go here for all the years. Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
- United States of America. By International Centre for Prison Studies.
- Correctional Populations in the United States, 2013 (NCJ 248479). Published December 2014 by U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS). By Lauren E. Glaze and Danielle Kaeble, BJS statisticians. See PDF. See page 1 "highlights" section for the "1 in ..." numbers. See table 1 on page 2 for adult numbers. See table 5 on page 6 for male and female numbers. See appendix table 5 on page 13, for "Estimated number of persons supervised by adult correctional systems, by correctional status, 2000–2013." See appendix table 2: "Inmates held in custody in state or federal prisons or in local jails, 2000 and 2012–2013". For state numbers see appendix table 1 and its CSV file (cpus13at01.csv). It is part of this zip file.
- U.S. Territories. By U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics.
- U.S. Military. By U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics.
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement. By U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics.
- Jails in Indian Country. By U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics.
- Research & Publications | International Centre for Prison Studies. The latest "World Prison Population List" in PDF form can be found here.
- Persons Detained Statistics of incarceration ("detained") from the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime
- Prison population per capita. Edutube. World map. Move cursor over countries to see incarceration rates. Click the full-screen icon in the bottom-left of the map to launch it in a full-screen window. Then click anywhere on the map and use your mouse scroll wheel to zoom in or out. Drag the map to move it in any direction.
- Data Analysis Tools - Corrections Statistical Analysis Tool (CSAT) - Prisoners. United States Bureau of Justice Statistics.
- Number of inmates in Ukraine rises for first time in 7 years. 26 March 2009. Kyiv Post.