List of countries by proven oil reserves
This is a list of countries by proven oil reserves.
Proved preserves are those quantities of petroleum which, by analysis of geological and engineering data, can be estimated, with a high degree of confidence, to be commercially recoverable from a given date forward from known reservoirs and under current economic conditions.
Some statistics on this page are disputed and controversial. Different sources (OPEC, CIA World Factbook, oil companies) give different figures, and there are different types of oil, ranging from cheap and easy to recover oils to shale oil or oil sands, which are more expensive and difficult to recover. For example, in the list below, Australia's total amount of oil does not include shale oil.
Because proven reserves include oil recoverable under current economic conditions, nations may see large increases in proved reserves when known, but previously uneconomic deposits become economic to develop. In this way, Canada's proven reserves increased suddenly in 2003 when the oil sands of Alberta were seen to be economically viable. Similarly, Venezuela's proven reserves jumped in the late 2000s when the heavy oil of the Orinoco was judged economic.
Reserves amounts are listed in millions of barrels (MMbbl).
- "Climate". Greenpeace Australia Pacific. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
- US Energy Information Administration, International energy statistics, (proved reserves as of 2014).
- "OPEC Share of World Crude Oil Reserves". opec.org. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
- US Energy Information Administration, International energy statistics, (proved reserves as of 2013).
- OPEC Statistical Bulletin, Proven oil reserves (as of 31 Dec. 2013), accessed 29 November 2014.
- "Statistical Review of World Energy June 2014" (PDF). BP. Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 June 2015. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "Oil and gas in Yemen" (PDF). NOREF peacebuilding. Retrieved 25 December 2013.
- "Energy and Minerals in Yemen". US Energy information Administration. Retrieved 24 December 2013.
- Instituto Argentino del Petróleo y el Gas – Reservas comprobadas de petróleo, en miles de m3 (proved reserves as of 2013)
- "Minerals in Afghanistan" (PDF). USGS Minerals gov. Retrieved 24 December 2013.
- "OPEC: World proven crude oil reserves by country, 1960–2011". Opec.org. Retrieved 21 September 2013.