List of countries by proven oil reserves
This is a list of countries by proven oil reserves.
Proven reserves are those quantities of petroleum which, by analysis of geological and engineering data, can be estimated, with a high degree of confidence, to be commercially recoverable from a given date forward from known reservoirs and under current economic conditions.
Some statistics on this page are disputed and controversial. Different sources (OPEC, CIA World Factbook, oil companies) give different figures. Some of the differences reflect different types of oil included. Different estimates may or may not include oil shale, mined oil sands or natural gas liquids.
Because proven reserves include oil recoverable under current economic conditions, nations may see large increases in proven reserves when known, but previously uneconomic deposits become economic to develop. In this way, Canada's proven reserves increased suddenly in 2003 when the oil sands of Alberta were seen to be economically viable. Similarly, Venezuela's proven reserves jumped in the late 2000s when the heavy oil of the Orinoco was judged economic.
Reserves amounts are listed in millions of barrels (MMbbl).
Sources sometimes differ on the volume of proven oil reserves. The differences sometimes result from different classes of oil included, and sometimes result from different definitions of proven.
Comparison of proven oil reserves from some widely used sources (billions of barrels, as of 31 Dec. 2014/1 Jan. 2015)
|Source||Canada||Iran||Russia||Saudi Arabia||United States||Venezuela|
|US Central Intelligence Agency||171.0||157.8||103.2||268.3||36.5||298.4|
|US Energy Information Administration||172.5||157.8||80.0||268.3||39.9||298.4|
- List of countries by oil production
- List of countries by oil consumption
- List of countries by natural gas proven reserves
- US Energy Information Administration, International energy statistics, (proven reserves as of 2014).
- "OPEC Share of World Crude Oil Reserves". opec.org. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
- US Energy Information Administration, International energy statistics, (proven reserves as of 2013).
- OPEC Statistical Bulletin, Proven oil reserves (as of 31 Dec. 2013), accessed 29 November 2014.
- "Statistical Review of World Energy June 2014" (PDF). BP. Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 June 2015. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "Oil and gas in Yemen" (PDF). NOREF peacebuilding. Retrieved 25 December 2013.
- "Energy and Minerals in Yemen". US Energy information Administration. Retrieved 24 December 2013.
- Instituto Argentino del Petróleo y el Gas – Reservas comprobadas de petróleo, en miles de m3 (proven reserves as of 2013)
- "Minerals in Afghanistan" (PDF). USGS Minerals gov. Retrieved 24 December 2013.
- "OPEC: World proven crude oil reserves by country, 1960–2011". Opec.org. Retrieved 21 September 2013.
- BP Statistical Review of World Energy, 2015
- OPEC Statistical Bulletin, 2015.
- World Factbook, US Central Intelligence Agency, 2015.
- US Reserves: Curde Oil and Lease Condensate, US EIA.