|Origin||Seoul, South Korea|
NU'EST (Hangul: 뉴이스트; short for New Establish Style Tempo) is a South Korean boy band formed by Pledis Entertainment. The group debuted on 15 March 2012, with the digital single "Face". The group consists of five members: JR, Aron, Baekho, Minhyun, and Ren. Minhyun is currently not promoting with the group as he was selected as one of the members of Wanna One after participating in the TV series Produce 101 Season 2. NU'EST has released two studio albums, one Korean and one Japanese, as well as five EPs.
- 1 History
- 2 Sub-group
- 3 Discography
- 4 Filmography
- 5 Concerts and tours
- 6 Awards and nominations
- 7 Music programs wins
- 8 Notes
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Prior to their debut, NU'EST made appearances in their labelmates' music releases. They were backup dancers for After School Blue's "Wonder Boy", and featured in their label's Christmas release "Love Letter". They also released their own music video for "Love Letter" as Pledis Boys. JR appeared in Orange Caramel's "Bangkok City" music video, and was also featured in Uee's solo song "Sok Sok Sok". Baekho appeared in After School's "Play Ur Love" music video, and Minhyun starred in Orange Caramel's "Shanghai Romance" music video.
JR, Minhyun, Aron, and Ren were also featured with After School's Lizzy in a commercial for New Balance. JR and Baekho appeared on the KBS television program Hello Counselor and were revealed by After School's Kahi as two members of the group. This drew attention from viewers and they became a topic of interest online. Minhyun and Ren also gained attention modeling for designer Park Yoon-so's F/W 2012–13 Seoul Fashion Week show, titled 'Big Park'.
2012: Debut with Face and Action
The group began airing their own reality show, Making of a Star: NU'EST Landing Operation, during the promotional period.
They returned with their first EP, Action, on 11 July, and became ambassadors for Korea's Scout Association. During their promotional period and the rest of the year, NU'EST began to expand to the global market, holding events in Japan, Australia, other parts of Asia, and the United States, including performances at KCON. During December, NU'EST began endorsements with McDonald's.
2013–2014: Hello, Sleep Talking, Re:BIRTH and Japanese debut
Baekho and Ren made acting appearances in the drama Jeon Woo-chi alongside label mate Uee in January 2013. The group returned with their second EP, Hello, on 13 February. They held their first exclusive concert, Show Time NU’EST Time, on the same day to commemorate the release. During the promotional period, they were cast for SBS MTV Diary along with their then-label mate Hello Venus. In March, NU'EST celebrated their first anniversary through a concert in Japan, NU′EST Debut 1st Anniversary Live Show Time. On 8 April, Aron became a DJ for Arirang's Music Access.
2015–2016: Japanese promotions, Q Is and Canvas
NU'EST released the digital single "I'm Bad" on 27 February 2015, with a limited edition physical release on 15 March to celebrate their third anniversary. Baekho did not participate in the title track as he was recovering from vocal cord polyps surgery, but he did contribute to the B-side track, "A Scene Without you." On 2 April, Minhyun collaborated with Korean indie artist Fromm on the single "The Aftermath". On 19 April, Aron ended his position as a DJ at Arirang's Music Access. The group held their first solo showcase in North America in Dallas, put together by My Music Taste, on 3 May.
NU'EST released their second Japanese single, "Na.Na.Na", on 20 May. On 14 August, Aron took up a position as a DJ on SBS PopAsia with his own show Aron's Hangout. NU'EST released their first Japanese studio album, Bridge the World, on 18 November, after pre-releasing the tracks "Bridge the World", "Cherry", "Access to You", and "Eternal Rain".
Their fourth EP, Q Is, was released on 17 February 2016 with the lead single "Overcome". They began promotions for the album the following day.
NU'EST released their fifth EP Canvas and the accompanying single "Love Paint (Every Afternoon)" on 29 August 2016. After four years of promotions, the group received their first music show nomination on The Show. On 6 October 2016, the music video for the duet track "Daybreak" from Canvas was released. "Daybreak" was a special unit track, sung by Minhyun and JR.
2017: Produce 101 Season 2, NU'EST W
Four members (JR, Baekho, Minhyun, and Ren) participated in the reality television series Produce 101 Season 2 during the first half of 2017. During their appearance on the show, previously released albums, including Q Is and Canvas, rose on South Korean album charts, reflecting a sudden surge in popularity of the group. NU'EST's previous releases shot back up on music charts after the final episode of Produce 101 Season 2 aired, and topped the Gaon Chart. The group returned to music shows to promote their single "Hello" (first released in 2013), and ranked number 11 on Inkigayo. Produce 101 Season 2 concluded with one of the four competing members, Minhyun, ranking ninth and becoming a member of the temporary boy group Wanna One. On the final episode, Baekho ranked 13th, JR ranked 14th, and Ren ranked 20th. Due to the nature of the contract between Wanna One members and CJ E&M, Minhyun will promote as a member of Wanna One until December 2018, after which he will return to NU'EST.
Following the conclusion of Produce 101 Season 2, JR and Ren became models for the cosmetics company Labiotte. Subsequently, Baekho and Aron also joined their groupmates in promoting the brand. Ren joined the JTBC variety show Learning the Hard Way, of which he is a fixed member. Aron featured on Raina's single "Loop".
NU'EST continued to promote as a four-member special unit, NU'EST W, until Minhyun returns. The "W" stands for "wait", meaning that the group will wait for Minhyun to return.[A] It also contains a second meaning of them having waited a long time to greet fans again following periods of inactivity. NU'EST W released their debut EP W, Here with the lead single "Where You At" on 10 October 2017. The EP was well received, and they earned their first music show win with "Where You At" on 19 October 2017 on M! Countdown. The following day, NU'EST W won first place on Music Bank. Since its release, sales of W, Here have surpassed 200,000 copies, making NU'EST W the fourth K-pop group to reach 200,000 copies sold in one week, and the only unit group to do so. In October 2017, NU'EST W became models for the outdoor clothing company BLACKYAK's campaign, "Art of the Youth".
2018: Who, You
In anticipation of the release of the album Who, You, Pledis Entertainment launched a one-day ad campaign for NU'EST W in New York City's Times Square to both promote the upcoming album and thank fans. On 25 June 2018, NU'EST W released their second EP, Who, You, and began promoting the lead single titled "Dejavu". Following its release, "Dejavu" topped three major Korean music charts. They first performed "Dejavu" at their album showcase on 25 June 2018.
This section does not cite any sources. (June 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
On 8 October 2013, Pledis Entertainment announced to launch a sub-group formed to target the Chinese market, NU'EST M, consisting of six members: JR, Aron, Baekho, Minhyun, Ren, and one Chinese member from Yuehua Entertainment, Jason. NU'EST M is specially targeted to the Chinese market, and thus will only carry out promotions in China. The group recorded Chinese versions of the lead singles "Face" and "Sleep Talking". In 2014, Pledis Entertainment's contract with Yuehua Entertainment dissolved, so Jason left the group and they changed their promotional name to NU’EST China.
- Re:Birth (2014)
- Bridge the World (2015)
- Making of A Star : Landing Operation (MBC Every 1, 2012)
- MTV Diary (SBS MTV, 2013)
- Nu'est in Love (Mnet, 2013)
- Nu'est's Latin Dream Show (MBC Every1, 2014)
- Nu'est Private life (imbc, 2016)
Concerts and tours
|Year||Concert and Tour|
|2012||NU'EST "The 1st Face to Face"|
|2013||NU'EST Show Time In Seoul|
|NU'EST Debut 1st Anniversary Live Show Time|
|NU'EST L.O.Λ.E. TOUR|
|2014||NU'EST Debut 2nd Anniversary Live Show Time 2|
|NU'EST Japan Tour One L.O.∧.E|
|NU'EST Latinoamerica Tour|
|NU'EST Autumn Live|
|Re:Sponse Europe Tour|
|NU'EST Re:Birth In Thailand|
|2015||NU'EST Live Tour Show Time 3|
|NU'EST First Solo Show In Dallas|
|NU'EST Summer Vacation In Korea|
|NU'EST World Tour Concert RE:VIVE|
|NU'EST Japan Tour "Bridge the World"|
|NU'EST "Bridge the World Live"|
|2016||NU'EST Live Tour Show Time 4|
|2017||NU'EST W "Love & Dream" Fanmeeting at South Korea|
|NU'EST W Fanmeet and Concert at Taiwan|
|NU'EST W Fanmeet and Concert at Hong Kong|
|2018||NU'EST W at KWave 2 Music Festival Malaysia|
|NU'EST W Double U concert at Seoul, South Korea.|
|NU'EST W Double U concert at Bangkok, Thailand.|
|NU'EST W Double U concert at Taipei, Taiwan.|
|NU'EST W Double U Encore Concert at Hong Kong|
|NU'EST W Double U Encore Concert at Thailand|
Awards and nominations
|2018||Song of the Year – July||"If You"||Nominated|
|Album of the Year – 4th Quarter||W, Here||Nominated|
|Song of the Year – October||"Where You At"||Nominated|
|Hot Performance of the Year||NU'EST W||Won|
|2018||Disk Bonsang||W, Here||Won|
|Global Popularity Award||NU'EST W||Nominated|
|2017 Favorite KPOP Star||Nominated|
Music programs wins
|2017||19 October||"Where You At"|
|2017||20 October||"Where You At"|
Show! Music Core
|2017||October 21||"Where You At"|
- Excerpt: ‘W’는 ‘기다리다’라는 뜻을 가진 영문 ‘Wait’에서 따온 것이다. 멤버 민현을 기다리고, 뉴이스트를 기다려준 팬들을 위한 뉴이스트 W 유닛 활동으로 JR, 아론, 백호, 렌 총 4명 멤버가 어떤 새로운 모습을 선보일지에 대한 귀추 또한 주목된다.
- "뉴이스트 프로필" (in Korean). Naver.
- "애프터스쿨 보이즈, 5인조 연말데뷔..팀명 미정" (in Korean). Star News. Retrieved 12 June 2017.
- "애프터스쿨 보이즈, 5인조 연말데뷔..팀명 미정" (in Korean). starnews. Retrieved 12 June 2017.
- "뉴 이스트-민현-렌,'패션쇼 모델 됐어요'" (in Korean). Osen. Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- "뉴이스트(NU'EST), 타이틀곡 'FACE' 티저 공개와 동시에 관심 폭발" (in Korean). Sports Chosun.
- "뉴이스트, 리얼리티 통해 매력 발산…'女心' 사수 작전" (in Korean). Sports Donga.
- "뉴이스트 "또래 현실 노래, 우린 10대 대변인"" (in Korean). KBS News.
- "NU'EST Becomes Honorary Ambassadors for the Korea Scout Association". enewsWorld. 19 July 2012.
- "NU'EST Heads to Thailand, Australia and Singapore for First Overseas Activities". enewsWorld. 6 August 2012.
- "뉴이스트, 패스트푸드 광고 모델 발탁.."새로운 경험"" (in Korean). Osen. Retrieved 12 June 2017.
- "뉴이스트 백호-렌, '전우치' 감초역활 톡톡" (in Korean). Asia Kyungje.
- "뉴이스트, 신곡 '여보세요' 재킷 공개… '소년에서 남자로'" (in Korean). Asia Kyungje.
- "NU'EST to Hold Its First Exclusive Concert in February". enewsWorld. 24 January 2013.
- "NU′EST Celebrates First Anniversary with a Concert in Japan". enewsWorld. 16 March 2013.
- "헬로비너스, SBS MTV '다이어리' 걸그룹 최초 출연" (in Korean). E Today.
- "뉴이스트 아론, 데뷔 후 첫 라디오 DJ 도전장" (in Korean). Osen. Retrieved 12 June 2017.
- "뉴이스트, 잠자는 숲속의 미녀? 잠꼬대하는 가요계의 악동!" (in Korean). Ten Asia.
- "'음악중심' 400회, 걸스데이 뛰어 넘을 보이스데이 결성" (in Korean). Ten Asia.
- "뉴이스트, 정규 1집 음원 하이라이트 공개..새로운 성장 들린다" (in Korean). Ten Asia.
- "뉴이스트, 일본 첫 투어 성공적 마무리…11월 일본 데뷔싱글 발매" (in Korean). Ten Asia.
- "뉴이스트(NU'EST), 감성 자극 티저 공개 'I'm Bad'" (in Korean). Ten Asia.
- "NU'EST Announce First U.S. Concert". Billboard. 23 April 2015.
- "NU'EST Talks To KPopStarz Japan: Part 1 [EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW]" (in Korean). Kpop Starz.
- "NU'EST's Aron to host his own SBS Pop Asia radio show". SBS.
- "【撮り下ろし＆独占インタビュー】NU'EST① 1stアルバム『Bridge the World』をリリース！「僕たちの音楽で世界に橋をかけよう！」" (in Japanese). kpopstarz. Retrieved 12 June 2017.
- "뉴이스트 '여왕의 기사', 본격 '카툰돌'의 서막" (in Korean). Ten Asia.
- "뉴이스트 "작사, 작곡 참여..우리의 색깔이 묻어난다"" (in Korean). Ten Asia.
- "뉴이스트 JR&민현, 유닛곡 프리뷰 이미지 공개" (in Korean). Ten Asia.
- "뉴이스트 측 "'프로듀스 101' 출연 확정"" (in Korean). Ten Asia. Retrieved 24 June 2017.
- "NU'EST get massive popularity spike and re-enter Korean music charts". SBS PopAsia. Retrieved 2017-07-30.
- "'차트 역주행' 뉴이스트, 프로듀스 101 시즌2 통한 제 2의 전성기" (in Korean). sporbiz. Retrieved 12 June 2017.
- "'차트 역주행' 뉴이스트, 꽃길 예약". TenAsia (in Korean). Retrieved 5 July 2017.
- "뉴이스트(NU'EST), '여보세요'로 '인기가요' 11위 등극…'명실상부한 역주행 곡'". topstarnews (in Korean). Retrieved 6 July 2017.
- "YMC '프듀101' 시즌2 멤버들 계약 확정.."시즌1과 비슷"(공식)" (in Korean). Retrieved 16 June 2017.
- "[SS이슈]'프로듀스 101' 아이돌 시장 지각변동 이끌까" (in Korean). Retrieved 17 June 2017.
- "뉴이스트 김종현-최민기, 화장품 모델 발탁 "깨끗한 이미지"". 뉴스엔. Retrieved 16 November 2017.
- "박준형·소유·소진·정기고·최민기, JTBC2 '사서고생' 출연". OSEN. Retrieved 16 November 2017.
- "오캬 레이나, 31일 솔로 컴백…뉴이스트 아론 피쳐링". 일간스포츠. Retrieved 16 November 2017.
- Seon, Mi-kyeong (19 June 2017). 뉴이스트 측 "4인 휴식→컴백 준비, 황민현 활동 지원" (in Korean). Osen. Retrieved 5 July 2017.
- Lee, So-dam (18 July 2017). [공식입장] 4인조 뉴이스트, 유닛 '뉴이스트 W'로 전격출격 (in Korean). Osen. Retrieved 18 July 2017.
- "뉴이스트 W, 타이틀곡은 'WHERE YOU AT'..자작곡+솔로곡까지" (in Korean). Osen. 26 September 2017. Retrieved 26 September 2017.
- "'Old rookie' NU'EST W finally conquers Mnet ranking". Kpop Herald. 20 October 2017.
- ""2045일 만의 1위" 뉴이스트W, 연습생 도전→1위가수". 헤럴드POP. Retrieved 16 November 2017.
- "'뉴이스트 W'와 함께한 아트 오브 더 유스(Art of the Youth) 캠페인". 서울경제. Retrieved 16 November 2017.
- "뉴이스트W, '화유기' OST 포문..JR은 랩메이킹 참여". OSEN. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "[HD영상] 뉴이스트 W "뉴욕 타임스퀘어 역조공, 팬도 우리도 감동" :: THE STAR". thestar.chosun.com. Retrieved 2018-06-27.
- ""팬들 행복이 목표"..뉴이스트W, 역대급 컴백 자신하는 이유". Osen. Retrieved 25 June 2018.
- "'컴백' 뉴이스트W의 엣지 있는 라틴팝 '데자부'". 스타뉴스. Retrieved 25 June 2018.
- "뉴이스트 W, 타이틀곡 'Dejavu' 3개 차트 1위+전곡 차트 상위권 진입 '대세 입증'" (in Korean). Retrieved 2018-06-27.
- "[영상] 뉴이스트W '데자부(Dejavu)'로 컴백…첫 무대 공개". 뉴스1 (in Korean). 2018-06-25. Retrieved 2018-06-27.
- ""업그레이드된 섹시미"…'주간아' 뉴이스트W, 신곡 무대 최초공개" (in Korean). Retrieved 2018-06-27.
- "Shiranai, Futari (2015)". IMDb. Retrieved 29 March 2018.
- "[2018 아시아모델어워즈] 뉴이스트W, 인기 스타상·아시아 특별상 수상 '2관왕 차지'". MBN (in Korean). May 6, 2018. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to NU'EST.|