Northern Areas Council
|Northern Areas Council
Location of the Northern Areas Council
|• Density||1.5850/km2 (4.105/sq mi)|
|Area||3,070 km2 (1,185.3 sq mi)|
|Mayor||Denis Clark |
|Region||Yorke and Mid North |
|Website||Northern Areas Council|
Northern Areas Council is a local government area in the Yorke and Mid North region of South Australia. The council seat and main council offices are at Jamestown, while the council also maintains district offices at Gladstone and Spalding.
Most of the region was first settled in the early 1840s, only a few years after the settlement of Adelaide. Several explorers had passed through the area on their way to more remote places, including Edward John Eyre and John Horrocks.
The Northern Areas Council came into effect on 3 May 1997, when the District Council of Rocky River, the District Council of Spalding and the District Council of Jamestown merged. Rocky River and Jamestown had themselves been previously been subject to a number of amalgamations, and had a large number of predecessor municipalities; in contrast, the Spalding council had a much different history, as prior to the merger, it had been an independent municipality predating the landmark District Councils Act 1887.
The district encompasses a number of towns and localities, including Andrews, Beetaloo Valley, Belalie East, Belalie North, Broughton River Valley, Bundaleer Gardens, Bundaleer North, Caltowie, Caltowie North, Caltowie West, Euromina, Georgetown, Gladstone, Gulnare, Hacklins Corner, Hornsdale, Jamestown, Laura, Mannanarie, Mayfield, Narridy, Spalding, Washpool, West Bundaleer and Yacka, and part of Appila, Canowie Belt, Huddleston, Stone Hut, Tarcowie and Yatina.
|Jamestown ||Denis Clark||Mayor|
|Merv Robinson||Deputy Mayor|
|Rocky River ||Geoff Lange|
|Spalding ||Ben Browne|
|Yackamoorundie ||Jim Walden|
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (30 March 2010). "Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2008–09". Retrieved 4 June 2010.
- "Councillors". Northern Areas Council. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- "Yorke and Mid North SA Government region" (PDF). The Government of South Australia. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "Contact Council". Northern Areas Council. Retrieved 15 April 2016.
- "Laura". Northern Areas Council. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- "Jamestown". Northern Areas Council. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- "The District Councils Act 1887 No. 419". Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- "Location SA Map Viewer". Government of South Australia. Retrieved 16 February 2016.