Kangaroo Island Council
|Kangaroo Island Council
Location of Kangaroo Island Council
|Population||4,611 (2015 est)|
|• Density||1.04793/km2 (2.7141/sq mi)|
|Area||4,400.1 km2 (1,698.9 sq mi)|
|Mayor||Peter Clements |
|Region||Fleurieu and Kangaroo Island|
|Website||Kangaroo Island Council|
The Kangaroo Island Council is a local government area in South Australia that covers the entirety of Kangaroo Island, 13 km off the coast of the mainland. The council was formed in 1996 by the amalgamation of the District Council of Kingscote and the District Council of Dudley.
- Peter Denholm
- Sharon Kaupilla
- Ken Liu
- Pip Masters
- Graeme Ricketts
- Larry Turner
- Cathie Tydeman
- Joy Willson
|This section does not cite any sources. (December 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The district's economy is based around agriculture, with grazing, crops, viticulture and forestry prevalent. Fishing, and more recently, aquaculture has been established as an economic viability on the island. Tourism is also a major part of the economy, with tourists coming to the island for the unspoilt natural beauty and its history.
Localities within the jurisdiction of the Kangaroo Island Council are as follows: American Beach, American River, Antechamber Bay, Ballast Head, Baudin Beach, Bay of Shoals, Birchmore, Brown Beach, Brownlow KI, Cape Borda, Cassini, Cuttlefish Bay, Cygnet River, De Mole River, D'Estrees Bay, Dudley East, Dudley West, Duncan, Emu Bay, Flinders Chase, Gosse, Haines, Island Beach, Ironstone, Kangaroo Head, Karrata, Kingscote, Kohinoor, MacGillivray, Menzies, Middle River, Muston, Nepean Bay, Newland, North Cape, Parndana, Pelican Lagoon, Penneshaw, Porky Flat, Sapphiretown, Seal Bay, Seddon, Stokes Bay, Stun'Sail Boom, Vivonne Bay, Western River, Willoughby, Willson River, and Wisanger.
- "3218.0 – Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2014–15". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- "Elected Members". Kangaroo Island Council. Retrieved 9 April 2016.
- "Fleurieu and Kangaroo Island SA Government region" (PDF). The Government of South Australia. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "District of Finniss Background Profile". ELECTORAL COMMISSION SA. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "Federal electoral division of Mayo, boundary gazetted 16 December 2011" (PDF). Australian Electoral Commission. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- Kangaroo Island Council. "About Council". Retrieved 2015-12-03.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Kangaroo Island (DC)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 8 April 2016.
- "Search result for " Kangaroo Island (IS)" (Record no SA0033933) with the following layers selected - "Suburbs and Localities" and "Local Government Areas"". Property Location Browser. Government of South Australia. Retrieved 22 May 2016.