October 2016 Baghdad attacks
|2016 October Baghdad attacks|
|Part of Iraqi Civil War (2014–present)|
|Date||15 October 2016 (AST)|
|Target||Shi'ite Muslims, policemen, Ishaqi Mobilization militia|
|Weapons||Suicide bomb, guns|
|Deaths||79+ (not including at least eight attackers)|
|Perpetrator||Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant|
On 15 October 2016, four attacks in and around Baghdad, Iraq, resulted in the deaths of at least 60 victims and at least seven attackers, while injuring at least 80 more people. The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant are believed to be behind the suicide bombing and two mass shootings.
The first attack occurred when a funeral was being held for a local resident in the al-Shaab district of Baghdad inside a tent. People were taking part in Shi'ite rituals, where they mourn the killing of the Islamic prophet Muhammad's grandson Husayn ibn Ali, which occurred during the 7th century. When they were doing this, a suicide bomber wearing an explosive vest blew himself up in the middle of the gathering, killing at least 44 people and injuring at least 57. ISIS claimed this attack.
The third attack in Ishaq occurred when gunmen stormed the house of the Ishaqi Mobilization militia leader Numan al-Mujamaie, killing his wife and three children, but al-Mujamaie was not present. They later killed themselves with explosive belts when they were pursued by police.
A fourth later attack, a suicide bombing on a tent where Shia Muslims distribute food, killed at least four people and injured at least 12.
The attacks occurred during the preparation for the Battle for Mosul. A failed rebellion occurred in Mosul on the day of the attack, and ISIS reportedly executed 58 people, and later 14 more. The attacks were the deadliest in Baghdad since the 2016 Karrada bombing in July 2016.
- 2016 Karrada bombing
- 9 September 2016 Baghdad bombings
- Muhammad ibn Ali al-Hadi Mausoleum attack
- List of Islamist terrorist attacks
- List of terrorist incidents in July 2016
- Terrorist incidents in Iraq in 2016
- Raheem, Kareem (2016-10-15). "Suicide bombing, shootouts kill around 55 in Iraq: police". Reuters. Retrieved 2016-10-21.
- Kareem Raheem & Ahmed Rasheed (15 October 2016). "Suicide bombing, shootouts kill around 55 in Iraq". Arab News. Retrieved 15 October 2016.
- "Nearly 60 People Killed in Iraq by Islamic State Group Attacks". Tele SUR. 15 October 2016. Retrieved 16 October 2016.
- "Funeral Bombed in Baghdad; 88 Killed in Iraq - Antiwar.com Original by - Antiwar.com". Original.antiwar.com. 2016-10-15. Retrieved 2016-10-21.
- "Suicide bomber strikes Shia Muslim gathering in Baghdad - News from". Al Jazeera. Retrieved 2016-10-21.
- Adel, Loaa (2016-10-16). "Suicide attack targets Hussainiyah march under Jardiyah Bridge in central Baghdad". Iraqi News. Retrieved 2016-10-21.
- Adel, Loaa (2016-10-16). "ISIS massacres families fleeing to Sharqat, kills 12 including women and children". Iraqi News. Retrieved 2016-10-21.
- Adel, Loaa (2016-10-16). "Blast kills, wounds 3 volunteer soldiers near Baqubah". Iraqi News. Retrieved 2016-10-21.
- Adel, Loaa (2016-10-16). "IED explosion kills, wounds 9 civilians in Kirkuk". Iraqi News. Retrieved 2016-10-21.
- Rasheed, Ahmed (2016-10-14). "Exclusive: Islamic State crushes rebellion plot in Mosul as army closes in | Reuters". Mobile.reuters.com. Retrieved 2016-10-21.