|This article needs to be updated. (July 2013)|
The Palm Jumeirah is an artificial archipelago in United Arab Emirates, created using land reclamation by Nakheel, a company owned by the Dubai government, and designed and developed by Helman Hurley Charvat Peacock/Architects, Inc. It is one of three planned islands called the Palm Islands (Palm Jumeirah, Palm Jebel Ali and Palm Deira) which would have extended into the Persian Gulf, increasing Dubai's shoreline by a total of 520 kilometres (320 mi). The Palm Jumeirah is the smallest and the original of three Palm Islands originally under development by Nakheel. It is located on the Jumeirah coastal area of the emirate of Dubai, in the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
Palm Jumeirah Monorail is a 5.4-kilometre-long (3.4 mi) monorail connecting the Atlantis Hotel to the Gateway Towers at the foot of the island, opened on 6 May 2009. located on Palm Jumeirah island in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. The monorail connects the Palm Jumeirah to the mainland, with a planned further extension to the Red Line of the Dubai Metro. The line opened on 30 April 2009. It is the first monorail in the Middle East.
Construction began with the Palm Jumeirah island in June 2001 and the developers announced handover of the first residential units in 2006.
In October 2007, 75% of the properties were ready to hand over, with 500 families already residing on the island. By the end of 2009, 28 hotels were opened on the Crescent.
Hotels and resorts
The Palm Jumeirah has a number of hotels, resorts, and hotel residences:
- The Fairmont Palm Hotel & Resort
- St. Regis Dubai - The Palm
- Kempinski Hotel & Residences,
- Rixos The Palm Dubai
- Atlantis, The Palm
- Sofitel the Palm Dubai
- The Langham, Palm Jumeirah
- Jumeirah Zabeel Saray
- One & Only The Palm
- Taj Exotica Resort & Spa
- The Residences, Palm Jumeirah
- Waldorf Astoria, Palm Jumeriah
- Kingdom Of Sheba, Palm Jumeirah
- Th8 Hotel Resort & Residence, Palm Jumeirah
- Anantara The Palm Resort & Spa
- Viceroy Palm Jumeirah Dubai
- W Hotel
Retail and Dining Destinations:
- Nakheel Mall
- The Pointe
- Palm Views
- The Boardwalk
- Al Ittihad Park
- Club Vista Mare
- Golden Mile Galleria
- Palm Islands
- The World (archipelago)
- The Universe (Dubai)
- Tourism in Dubai
- Palm Grandeur
- Jumeirah Islands
- The Taj Exotica Hotel & Resort
- Longshore drift
- Nice and Easy, but Fares Not So Fair
- "Middle East's first monorail to start services in Palm Jumeirah by April". Gulf News. 7 August 2008. Retrieved 11 August 2008.
- "Palm monorail tried and tested – The Knowledge News". TimeOutDubai.com. Retrieved 27 August 2010.
- "ME's 1st monorail to begin services in April". MENAFN.com. 8 August 2008. Retrieved 11 August 2008.
- "The Palm Jumeirah". Nakheel. 2006. Retrieved 11 February 2007. External link in
- "Dubai's Palm and World Islands – progress update". AMEInfo. 4 October 2007. Retrieved 28 October 2007.
- "Hotels in Palm Jumeirah, Dubai. Book your hotel now!". Booking.com. Retrieved 2016-01-15.
- "Waldorf Astoria Palm Jumeirah set for January opening in Dubai". GulfNews.com. 2013-12-27. Retrieved 2016-01-15.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Palm Jumeirah.|