|Mayor of Gdańsk|
|Assumed office |
26 October 1998
|Preceded by||Tomasz Posadzki|
|Born||2 November 1965|
|Political party||Civic Platform|
He studied law at the University of Gdańsk, where he also became a prominent student movement member. He was one of the organizers of the 1988 strike and became the headperson of the strike committee. Between 1990 and 1993, he served as a vice-rector at his alma mater.
In 1990 Adamowicz was elected a member of the City Council in Gdańsk and held this post until 1998, when he was elected the Mayor of Gdańsk. On 10 November 2002 he was re-elected and gained 72% of votes.
He was awarded with the Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice Golden Cross by Pope John Paul II and with the Cross of Merit by the President Aleksander Kwaśniewski. In 2014, he also became the recipient of the Cross of Freedom and Solidarity to honour his contributions to the democratic opposition in Poland during the Communist Period.
- Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice Golden Cross (Vatican, 2001)
- Medal of Merit of the Lions Club International (2005)
- Silver Medal for Merit to Culture – Gloria Artis (Poland, 2005)
- Knight's Cross of the Order of Polonia Restituta (Poland, 2010)
- Knight of the Legion of Honour (France, 2012)
- Order of Civil Merit (Spain, 2013)
- Order of the Cross of Terra Mariana (Estonia, 2014)
- Cross of Freedom and Solidarity (Poland, 2014)
- Friszke, Andrzej (2006). Solidarność podziemna 1981-1989. Instytut Studiów Politycznych Polskiej Akademii Nauk. p. 261. ISBN 978-83-88490-45-3.
- "Padły bastiony Sojuszu" (fee required). Gazeta Wyborcza. 12 November 2002. Retrieved 5 November 2009.
- "M.P. 2010 nr 98 poz. 1144". Retrieved 2018-11-02.
- "Paweł Adamowicz Kawalerem Orderu Legii Honorowej". Retrieved 2018-11-02.
- "Teenetemärkide kavalerid". Retrieved 2018-11-02.
- (in Polish) Paweł Adamowicz' website
|This biographical article about a Polish politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article about a Polish academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|