Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
|Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles|
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles|
by Kevin Eastman
|Theme music composer||
|Opening theme||Matt Mahfafey|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||26 (52 segments)|
|Running time||11 minutes|
Nickelodeon Animation Studio|
Flying Bark Productions
|Distributor||Viacom Media Networks|
|Picture format||HDTV 1080i|
|Audio format||Dolby Digital 5.1|
|Original release||September 17, 2018– present|
|Preceded by||Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012 TV series)|
Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is an American 2D-animated television series based on the fictional superhero team the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The series debuted on September 17, 2018 after a sneak preview aired on July 20. The first 5 episodes of the series were released online the same day. The series was announced by Nickelodeon in a press release on March 2, 2017 and is initially scheduled to run for at least 26 episodes. This re-imagined series will have the Turtles go on new adventures as they seek to unlock the mystical secrets of New York City.
On July 27, 2018, Nickelodeon renewed the series for a second season consisting of 26 episodes prior to the official debut of the first season.
Deep in the sewers of New York City, Leonardo, Raphael, Donatello, and Michelangelo are four mutant turtle brothers in their early teens who go on new adventures where they end up "tapping into mystic ninja powers they never knew existed", while "learning" to work together as a team and navigate the perils of the modern age and hidden realms in order to fulfill their destiny to become a team of heroes".
- Raphael (voiced by Omar Benson Miller) – A common snapping turtle who is the "oldest, physically the biggest and strongest brother". In this show, he is the leader of the Ninja Turtles team. He often acts before he thinks which often gets the other turtles in trouble. Raph originally used two sais, but later wields two tonfa in battle that can amplify his own strength with red energy. In "Mascot Melee," it is revealed that Raphael is allergic to peanut butter.
- Donatello (voiced by Josh Brener) – A softshell turtle who is the "genius of the team". He has a sidekick drone named Sheldon along with many other battle shells that he makes in order to help him in battle because of his species. He wields a high-tech bō (staff) in battle that can transform into a multitude of weapons like drills or a rocket powered hammer.
- Leonardo (voiced by Ben Schwartz) – A red-eared slider who is the "self-proclaimed 'coolest' brother". He is also known to be called the "trickster", and he thinks that his one liners will "fire up the team". Leo originally used two ninjatos, but later wields an ōdachi sword in battle that can open portals.
- Michelangelo (voiced by Brandon Mychal Smith) – A box turtle who is the "youngest jokester, prankster brother". In this show he appers as the preteen. He is an artist, and is also called the "wild card." Mikey originally used a pair of nunchucks, but later wields a kusari-fundo in battle that can become a fire spirit.
- April O'Neil (voiced by Kat Graham) – A human friend of the Ninja Turtles. In this series, April is an African-American girl who wears glasses. When fighting, she also wields a baseball bat.
- Mayhem – April O'Neil's pet mutant dog with teleportation abilities. It is an agent that worked against Baron Draxum.
- Splinter (voiced by Eric Bauza) – A mutant gray rat who is the Ninja Turtles' sensei and adoptive father. He doesn’t start training the turtles seriously until threats about Baron Draxum are discovered.
- Baron Draxum (voiced by John Cena) – A turquoise-skinned Yōkai warrior and alchemist from the "Hidden City" with maroon hair and faun-like legs. He is also known as the "Maker of Mutants." As the self-proclaimed protector of all mutantkind, Baron Draxum seeks to mutate humans into mutants so that he can live up to his title. Draxum has the power to augment his own body by crushing pods in his hands.
- Hunginn and Muninn (voiced by Tim Simons and Sam Richardson) – Two gargoyle-like creatures that are often seen sitting on Baron Draxum's shoulders. Their name and presence as Draxum's constant companions are a play on the Norse saga ravens Huginn and Muninn.
- Guardsmen (voiced by Fred Tatasciore) – The guards that work for Baron Draxum who are experts at armed combat. They can also ride monstrous dogs.
- Oozesquitoes – A swarm of mutant insects that work for Baron Draxum. They store mutagen in them in order to infect anyone they bite which turns them into mutants. The Oozesquitoes are first seen when Baron Draxum tests the mutagen on a delivery guy named Stewart that unknowingly followed Baron Draxum's minions into the Hidden City which led to Baron Draxum using the Oozesquito to turn a delivery person named Stewart into a mutant whitefish. In the Ninja Turtles first encounter with Baron Draxum, the Ninja Turtles unknowingly unleash the Oozesquitoes into New York City.
- Foot Clan – In this series, the Foot Clan work for Baron Draxum as hired mercenaries. They have the power of teleportation through hidden gateways.
- Mutant Silverfish – A bunch of mutant silverfish. If they are attacked, the Mutant Silverfish will split into smaller silverfish that would later aggregate back to its original state.
- Meat Sweats (voiced by Johnny Rotten) – Rupert Swaggart is a former celebrity chef who was turned into a mutant pig upon being stung by an Oozesquito while hitting a failing contestant with a meat during his TV show "Kondescending Kitchen." He wears gray gloves to conceal his arms made of tendrils which he uses to temporary absorb the abilities of other mutants which he hunts to create meals from, like the mutant silverfish's body splitting or the mutant snake's projectile spit. In addition, Meat Swats wields a meat-tenderizing hammer. When he targeted the Turtles to absorb their powers, he got thwarted by the misuses of the equipment that Donatello made him where Meat Sweats was thrown into the front of a moving subway. He later encounters Splinter after he goes on a joyride in the Turtle Tank, becoming the rat's unwilling accomplice in getting him away from the Turtles before forced to release the mutants he captured prior to escape while throwing Splinter out of his truck.
- Albearto (voiced by Tom Kenny) – A living mechanical bear used at children's birthday parties in Albearto's Pizzeria. After a small child short-circuited him, April had Donatello upgrade him where a stage mishap caused Albearto to get electrocuted and come to life.
- Cheery Tomato (voiced by Jill Talley) – An animatronic anthropomorphic tomato at Albearto's Pizzeria brought to life by Alberto.
- President Pepperoni (voiced by Eric Bauza) – An animatronic anthropomorphic pepperoni at Albearto's Pizzeria brought to life by Alberto.
- Warren Stone (voiced by John Michael Higgins) – A semi-successful and narcissistic news anchor who mutated into a small mutant earthworm with an earthworm tail instead of legs after being stung by an Oozesquito. If cut in half, Warren can regenerate. Since his mutation, he declared himself the greatest foe of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
- Hypno-Potamus (voiced by Rhys Darby) – Mezmer-ron is a successful hypnotist who mutated into a hippopotamus after he was stung by a Oozesquito that merged him with his pet hippopotamus Doug. Thinking that Doug went missing, Hypno-Potamus began his plot of stealing signature animals of other magicians which led to his encounter with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. With unlikely help from Warren Stone who did not want anyone else destroying his enemies, the Ninja Turtles defeated Hypno-Potamus.
- Repo Mantis (voiced by Fred Tatasciore) – The vicious, treacherous and greedy owner of a salvage yard called Repo Mantis Salvage who was mutated into a purple mutant mantis after being stung by an Oozesquito.
- Ghostbear (voiced by Jorge Gutierrez) – A human wrestling champion who cheats. Raphael was a fan of him until he learned the truth about his fighting techniques.
- Mutant Cockroach Gang - An unnamed group of mutant cockroaches that posed as mascots.
- Atomic Lass (voiced by Grey Griffin) - An unnamed mutant cockroach dressed as Atomic Lass.
- Joey the Junkyard Dog (voiced by John DiMaggio) - An unnamed mutant cockroach dressed as Joey the Junkyard Dog.
- Robot Vampire (voiced by Grey Griffin) - An unnamed mutant cockroach dressed as Robot Vampire.
- Sergeant Woodpecker (voiced by Eric Bauza) - An unnamed mutant cockroach dressed as Sergeant Woodpecker.
- Baxter Stockboy (voiced by Ramone Hamilton) - An unpaid stockboy and self-proclaimed "internet celebrity" who is loosely based on Baxter Stockman. He built a robot to pass off as the Gumbus to haunt the supermarket that he worked at.
- Mrs. Cuddles (voiced by Eliza Jane Schneider) - A plush rabbit and kiddies show character come to life who feeds on people's fear of her to become bigger and stronger.
- Big Mama (voiced by Lena Headey) – A Jorōgumo who can change between her human form and her spider form.
- Todd Capybara (voiced by Thurop Van Orman) – A friendly mutant capybara and selfless charitable caretaker of Cuddles Cakes Puppy Rescue on Long Island. In exchange for Todd giving up his RV, Michelangelo and Donatello build a new type of residence for Todd and his rescue puppies.
- Señor Hueso (voiced by Eric Bauza) - A skeleton who uses his own left arm for a cane. He is the doorman of the pizza parlor called World's Greatest Pizza in New York's mystical Undercity. Señor Hueso's name is Spanish for "Mr. Bone."
On March 2, 2017, Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was announced as a new re-imagining of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise. Cyma Zarghami, president of the Nickelodeon Group, stated in a press release:
"The Turtles is a property that has reinvention in its DNA, which keeps it fresh and relevant to every new generation while satisfying the demand from its adult fans. 'Turtles' has been an incredibly important franchise for us since we reignited it five years ago, and we’re excited for the new series to take the characters in a different direction with more humor, a younger and lighter feel and all-new dimensions to explore."
The series logotype was revealed to public in mid-October 2017. On November 2, 2017, Nickelodeon announced the official voice actor cast for the main characters on the turtles' side. In addition to these news, voice actor Rob Paulsen, who previously voiced Raphael in the 1987–1996 TV series as well as Donatello in the 2012–2017 TV series, will now serve as the voice director for this TV series. John Cena was later cast as the villain Baron Draxum. Besides voice directing, Rob Paulsen will also be providing voice work alongside fellow voice actor Maurice LaMarche.
On February 1, 2018, major main-characters art designs were announced and revealed by Nickelodeon. This occurred during a Facebook event, which was broadcast live that day. On March 23, 2018, the first trailer for the series was released by Nickelodeon. In mid-May 2018, it was announced that each episode will consist of two 11-minute carts. Each of them will tell self-contained, standalone stories with hints of a larger plot. On June 26, 2018, the series intro theme song was released by Nickelodeon. On July 20, 2018, the show aired as a sneak peak after the 2018 Kids' Choice Sports Awards.  On September 17, 2018, the show premiered on Nickelodeon.
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||US viewers|
|1||1||"Mystic Mayhem"||Brendan Clogher & Sebastian Montes||Ian Busch, Russ Carney,|
Ron Corcillo, & Jesse Gordon
|July 20, 2018||0.60|
|The Turtles discover that they are not the only weirdest things in New York when they encounter two villains from the Hidden City pursuing a dog-like agent. They have their first encounter with Baron Draxum, who is making mutants with the help of his Oozesquitos.|
|2a||2a||"Origami Tsunami"||Jamie Vickers||Russ Carney & Ron Corcillo||September 25, 2018||0.86|
Longing for the excitements of hero life, Leo talks the team into tracking down the paper thief duo currently stalking the city. In doing so, the Turtles run into the Foot Clan, who use their mystic ability to create origami warriors from the stolen paper.
|2b||2b||"Donnie's Gifts"||Sebastian Montes||Russ Carney & Ron Corcillo||September 17, 2018||0.65|
|Donnie creates new gear for his brothers in order for them to overcome their bad habits. However, the gear only becomes a nuisance as they fight mutated chef dubbed Meat Sweats, who plans to cook the turtles in order to gain their powers.|
|3a||3a||"War and Pizza"||Brendan Clogher||Ian Busch||September 17, 2018||0.65|
|In order to save April's job as a party captain at Albearto's Pizzeria, Donnie upgrades the main animatronic of Albearto, only for it to go out of control.|
|3b||3b||"Newsworthy"||Sebastian Montes||Jesse Gordon||September 27, 2018||0.98|
|To prove himself as the greatest enemy of the Turtles, former news anchor-turned-mutant earthworm Warren Stone gets in the way of the Turtles as they track down Hypno-Potamus, who is abducting the animal partners of other magicians.|
|4a||4a||"Repo Mantis"||Jamie Vickers||Russ Carney & Ron Corcillo||September 20, 2018||1.02|
|Mikey and Donnie try to get a Jupiter Jim moon buggy vehicle from a repo yard, where they run afoul of its owner Repo Mantis. In exchange for the prop vehicle, Mikey and Donnie are hired as repo men and are sent to repossess an RV on Long Island. However, the deal deteriorates when they meet the RV's possessor, a kind mutant named Todd Capybara, and his puppies.|
|4b||4b||"Down With the Sickness"||Jamie Vickers||Jesse Gordon||September 18, 2018||0.97|
|Splinter has come down with the rat flu, and the Turtles must deal with its 7 different stages involving fever, "wild rat man," "Captain Cuddle Cake," ninja supreme, karaoke love songs, and fan fiction. The Turtles hope that Splinter will make to the final stage called "Must Say Yes" so that they can ask him for whatever they want.|
|5a||5a||"The Fast and the Furriest"||Brendan Clogher||Russ Carney & Ron Corcillo||September 24, 2018||0.90|
When Donnie's newly-built Turtle Tank goes missing, he and the Turtles must find it. While going after some usual suspects, they are unaware that the Turtle Tank was taken by Splinter, who is additionally invited to "dinner" with Meat Sweats.
|5b||5b||"Mascot Melee"||Sebastian Montes||Ian Busch||September 26, 2018||0.92|
|While looking for a new robe for Splinter, the Turtles traverse through Times Square, where they fight the mascots lurking there who get jealous of Raphael's "Turtlepotamus" meme. When they take the money that Raphael has made, the other Turtles suit up and take action against the mascot - until they discover the true identity of the mascots as mutant cockroaches.|
|6a||6a||"Shell in a Cell"||Sebastian Montes||Dale Malinowski||September 19, 2018||0.83|
|Leo unseats Raph's wrestling idol Ghostbear from his title as the champion of the world after accidentally falling on him from the rafters. Raph soon becomes irked by Leo's cockiness and decides to wrestle him himself. When Ghostbear joins the fight, Raph learns that Ghostbear doesn't play by the rules.|
|6b||6b||"Minotaur Maze"||Brendan Clogher||Jesse Gordon||October 6, 2018||1.02|
After the Turtles stumble across a pizza restaurant in the mystical Undercity while following a Fire Yōkai, Leonardo drags his brothers into a pizza-shaped Maze of Death to obtain the ultimate prize....a free helping to the titular parlor's "world's greatest pizza". But in order to claim it, they will have to contend with the pizza's guardian in the form of the Minotaur who is the maze's assistant manager.
|8a||8a||"The Longest Fight"||Sebastian Montes||Ian Busch||October 6, 2018||1.02|
|The Turtles have a hard time watching their skateboarding idol Sydney Allen on the "Extreme Skateboarding Finals" and stopping a burglary at Gilbert's Department Store conducted by the Foot Clan at the same time.|
|9a||9a||"The Gumbus"||Sebastian Montes||Russ Carney & Ron Corcillo||October 13, 2018||1.09|
|Leo, Mikey and April investigate a mysterious specter haunting a themed supermarket called Stock 'n Shop, which leads to their encounter with Baxter Stockboy.|
|9b||9b||"Mrs. Cuddles"||Abe Audish & Jamie Vickers||Ian Busch||October 20, 2018||TBD|
|April and the brothers make Raph face his greatest fear: an adorable kids' TV show rabbit named Mrs. Cuddles. However, things aren't so funny anymore when Mrs. Cuddles suddenly comes to life and begins hunting the Turtle family to feed on their fears.|
The series premiered on Nickelodeon in the United States on September 17, 2018. The series premiered as a sneak preview on YTV in Canada on July 27 the same year and was premiered officially on September 21 that year, In the UK, The show airs on Nicktoons and Channel 5.
The series has been met with polarized reviews, with many criticizing the changes to the turtles and the direction of the series. IMDb has scored the new series with a 5.7/10 but many have praised the series for introducing new villains and giving the turtles a fresh approach from the previous series in the franchise with more light humour and comedy as well as action.
On February 16, 2018, the first toys based on the series were presented during the New York City Toy Fair. The first Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles toys are expected to be released on October 1, 2018, but are starting to leak out on store shelves on September 20, 2018. 
In August 2018, the American fast food chain Sonic Drive-In released a set of kids meal toys based on the series, which are available in their Wacky Pack meals.
During the months leading up to the series' launch, Viacom and Nintendo collaborated to market Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles via a special limited-time online multiplayer event for the 2017 video game Splatoon 2, in which Inklings can participate in a Splatfest tournament, battling over which of the four brothers is the best. Donatello won overall, beating Mikey in the first round, and Raphael (who had in turn beat Leonardo) in the finals.
- Justin Wren (1 January 2018). "Rob Paulsen Reveals Release Date for Rise of the TMNT". Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- "Nickelodeon Reimagines the Iconic Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in All-New Animated Series, Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles". Business Wire. Nickelodeon Group. Retrieved 13 March 2017.
- Petski, Denise. "'Rise of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles': Ben Schwartz, Kat Graham Among Voice Cast". Deadline. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved 4 November 2017.
- Petski, Denise (July 27, 2018). "'Rise Of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' Among Five Series Renewed By Nickelodeon – TCA". Deadline. Retrieved July 28, 2018.
- "Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles voice cast announced". Super Hero Hype. 2 November 2017. Retrieved 2 November 2017.
- Justin Wren (2 November 2017). "Information About Rise of the TMNT Reveals Raph is the New Leader". Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Retrieved 8 February 2018.
- Matthew Mueller (1 February 2018). "First Look at Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Revealed". Comicbook. Retrieved 2 February 2018.
- Matthew Mueller (1 February 2018). "First Look at Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Revealed". Comicbook. Retrieved 2 February 2018.
- Newerbot (1 February 2018). "First Look at Nickelodeon's 'Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles'". Big Shiny Robots. Retrieved 3 February 2018.
- Justin Carter (1 February 2018). "Ninja Turtles Get a Major Makeover in First Rise of the TMNT Image". CBR. Retrieved 3 February 2018.
- Justin Wren (6 February 2018). "0 Shellraising Details About Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles". Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Retrieved 8 February 2018.
- James Whitbrook (2 February 2018). "Here are the New Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, as Well As The African American April O'Neil". Kotaku. Retrieved 3 February 2018.
- "John Cena Joins Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles". Newsarama. 11 January 2018. Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- Kimberly Nordyke (11 January 2018). "John Cena to Voice 'Ninja Turtles' Character, Produce Competition Series for Nickelodeon". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- Spencer Perry (6 March 2018). "Meet Baron Draxum, John Cena's Villain from Rise of the TMNT". Coming Soon. Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- Jon Bowman (7 March 2018). "First Look at John Cena's Baron Draxum". Gameinformer. Retrieved 2 April 2018.
- "New York Toy Fair: Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Figures Debut From Playmates". BleedingCool. February 20, 2018. Retrieved March 27, 2018.
- Jamie Lang (13 June 2018). "Nickelodeon's 'Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' Gets Annecy First Look". Variety. Retrieved 15 June 2018.
- Justin Wren (16 October 2017). "First Look at Rise of the TMNT Logo from BLE 2017". Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Retrieved 5 November 2017.
- Justin Wren (12 January 2018). "John Cena will voice new villain in Rise of the TMNT". Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Retrieved 13 January 2018.
- Nick Alive 30 December 2017 – Voice Acting Legend Rob Paulsen Talks About Moving Into Directing for 'Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- Dan Snierson (1 February 2018). "Meet the first African-American April in Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles first look". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 1 February 2018.
- Justin Wren (1 February 2018). "Rise of the TMNT Character Art Officially Revealed". Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Retrieved 3 February 2018.
- Josh Weiss (23 March 2018). "Cowabunga, Watch the first Trailer for Nick's Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles". Syfy Wyre. Retrieved 24 March 2018.
- "Nickelodeon To Premiere 'Rise Of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' During Mid-September 2018; To Launch 'Rise Of The TMNT' Toy Line In The Run Up To Christmas". Nickelodeon. 13 May 2018. Retrieved 14 May 2018.
- Mike Cecchini (26 June 2018). "Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Show Opener Revealed". Den of Geek. Retrieved 26 June 2018.
- "SDCC: Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Gets a New Trailer". CBR. 2018-07-19. Retrieved 2018-08-31.
- Weiss, Josh (2018-07-27). "TCA 2018: Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles renewed for Season 2 before series premiere in the fall". Syfy. Retrieved 2018-08-31.
- Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. www.futoncritic.com
- Dan Gehen (10 April 2018). "New Comic Series Based on Rise of the TMNT". Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Retrieved 11 April 2018.
- Dave Trumbore (16 February 2018). "'Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' Toyline Unveiled Ahead of Toy Fair". Collider. Retrieved 16 February 2018.
- Master Splinter (18 February 2018). "Rise of the TMNT Figures Release Date Announced". White Foot Soldier. Retrieved 24 February 2018.
- Hall, Charlie (26 April 2018). "Splatoon 2's new Splatfest is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles-themed". Polygon. Retrieved 19 May 2018.
- "A tournament-style Splatfest is coming". Splatoon 2 Official Website. Nintendo. Retrieved 19 May 2018.
Quotations related to Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles at Wikiquote