|Birth name||Anthony Santos|
|Also known as||Romeo Santos|
July 21, 1981 |
The Bronx, New York City, New York, United States
Anthony Santos (born July 21, 1981), known professionally as Romeo Santos, is an American singer, songwriter, actor, record producer and former lead vocalist of the American bachata group Aventura. In 2002, the song Obsesión ranked # 1 in Italy for 16 consecutive weeks. After releasing several albums with Aventura, the group went its separate ways. Since then, Romeo has embarked on a solo career which in six years has spawned seven number one songs on the Hot Latin Songs chart and nine number ones on the Tropical Songs chart.
Santos was born on July 21, 1981, in The Bronx, New York City, to a Dominican father and a Puerto Rican mother. He had a humble upbringing, with his father working in construction and his mother staying at home to take care of the family.
Before the success of Aventura, Santos founded a group called "Los Tinellers" ("The Teenagers" written phonetically in a Dominican pronunciation), with his cousin Henry and two friends in the early 1990s. The group released an album called Trampa de Amor, and by the end of the decade, they changed the name of the band to Aventura.
Romeo was the main songwriter and producer of Aventura, an American bachata band from The Bronx, New York and the band's lead singer. Aventura was formed in 1997 by Anthony "Romeo" Santos, Henry Santos, Lenny Santos, and Max Santos, all natives of The Bronx, but having families born in the Dominican Republic.
Aventura made their big break in 1999, with the hopes of breaking bachata music into the mainstream from its traditional base and fuse it with pop music; more specifically hip hop and R&B. In 2004, the song, "Obsesión" achieved huge success in many countries, topping many international charts like the France, Germany and Italy. Aventura released five studio albums in a decade, spawning many top 10 hits like internationally famous "Obsesión", but also "Un Beso", "Los Infieles", "El Perdedor", "Por Un Segundo", "Dile Al Amor" and many others.
Aventura separated in 2011. According to Romeo Santos, the group was "on pause to do individual projects". Romeo Santos and former members of Aventura reunited to close out the second night of Romeo Santos' sold-out Yankee Stadium concerts on July 12, 2014. It was announced on December 1, 2015 that Aventura would have a set of concerts for the last time as a group for the whole month of February at the United Palace Theater in New York City. Their first concert since their split started with a sold out crowd on February 4, 2016 with the final concert ending on February 28, 2016.
In 2007 he performed a Mini Recital in the Musical program: Saturday Passion. In 2009, he was invited to sing for US President Barack Obama at the White House. September 12, 2010 was presented at the MTV Video Music Awards 2010 to deliver a prize.
In April 2011, after his success as a songwriter and the lead singer for Aventura, Romeo announced he was leaving the band to pursue a solo career. On May 9, he released the first single off his debut album Formula, Vol. 1, called "You". The song went to number one on the Hot Latin Songs and Tropical Songs charts. The second single "Promise", featured a collaboration with R&B singer Usher. As with the previous single, "Promise" topped the Hot Latin Songs and Tropical Songs charts.
In 2012, he sold out New York City's famous Madison Square Garden three nights in a row. The performance was then turned into a CD and DVD package and subsequently released as a live album, The King Stays King: Sold Out at Madison Square Garden.
In 2014, he conquered another New York landmark, Yankee Stadium, selling out an entire double-header show. Those concerts made history for Santos, becoming the first Latin artist to headline at the Stadium. The Fania All-Stars last did so, one block south at the old Yankee Stadium on August 24, 1973.
His sophomore album Formula, Vol. 2 was released on February 25, 2014. Featuring collaborations with Drake, Nicki Minaj, Marc Anthony, Carlos Santana, Tego Calderón, and Kevin Hart. Formula, Vol. 2 became the best-selling Latin album of 2014. He released a new single Héroe Favorito in February 2017.
Romeo Santos made his Hollywood debut in the film Furious 7, released April 2015, alongside Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson, and Paul Walker. He was nervous about acting in Furious 7 but the cast made him feel welcomed.
Santos was also the voice of the cartoon character Early Bird in the 2016 film The Angry Birds Movie.
|2015||Furious 7||Armando (Mando)||Cameo role|
|2016||The Angry Birds Movie||The Early Bird|
- Birchmeier, Jason. "Romeo Santos - Biography". Allmusic. Rovi. Retrieved January 23, 2015.
- Cobo, Leila (October 21, 2011). "Romeo Santos Finds His Own 'Formula' After Aventura Success". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved July 22, 2015.
- "Romeo Santos Finds His Own 'Formula' After Aventura Sucres". Billboard. Retrieved April 8, 2015.
- "Heard of Romeo Santos? Will Smith and Usher could change that". tribunedigital-chicagotribune. Retrieved April 8, 2015.
- Carlos Quintana. "Romeo Santos - Biography and Artist Profile". About.com Entertainment. Retrieved April 8, 2015.
- Romeo Santos#Early life and career
- Mallenbaum, Carly (January 8, 2012). "On the Verge: 'Bachata King' Romeo". USA Today. Gannett Co. Inc. Retrieved May 16, 2013.
- Feeney, Michael (July 13, 2014). "Romeo Santos joined by Marc Anthony, former Aventura members at sold-out Yankee Stadium show". New York Daily News. Retrieved July 18, 2014.
- "Billboard Bits: Charlie Sheen Releases 'Winning' Single, Bruno Mars Responds to Tyler Dis". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2011-05-10. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- "Chart Highlights: Pop, Dance/Club Play Songs & More". 2011-05-16. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- "Romeo Santos junto a Usher en "Promise"". Terra Networks (in Spanish). 2011-08-30. Retrieved 2011-09-02.
- "Chart Highlights: Rodney Atkins Takes 'Back Road' To No. 1 On Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2011-09-12. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- "From Corner Delis to Yankee Stadium: Romeo Santos Historic Bronx Gig". Rolling Stone. Rolling Stone. July 11, 2014. Retrieved October 6, 2014.
- "'Fórnula Vol. 2' de Romeo Santos saldrá a la venta el 25 de febrero". Univision (in Spanish). Univision Communications. January 17, 2014. Retrieved January 18, 2014.
- "Romeo Santos, primer lugar en ventas con 'Formula Vol.2'". Univision (in Spanish). Univision Communications. April 7, 2014. Retrieved October 7, 2014.
- ""Rápidos y furiosos 7" adelanta su fecha de estreno". El Comercio (in Spanish). Empresa Editora El Comercio. July 4, 2014. Retrieved October 6, 2014.
- "Fast and Furious 7 Spoilers, Update: 7 Things Fans Need to Know About Paul Walker and Vin Diesel Starrer Movie". International Business Times. International Business Times AU. July 10, 2014. Retrieved October 6, 2014.
- Latin Post Staff (March 30, 2015). "Furious7 Cast News&Trailer:Romeo Santos". Retrieved 12 April 2015.
- Rosen, Jody. "Crossover Dreams of a Bronx Bachatero". New York Times. Arts:Music. June 3, 2009
- Symkus, Ed. "Listen to the Tale of Aventura". The Edge. The Boston Herald.com December 1, 2009
- Salsa con Son "Top 10 Romeo Santos Songs". April 10, 2016