SNCF TGV Atlantique
|SNCF TGV "Atlantique"|
|In service||1989 -|
|Refurbished||2005 - 2009|
|Number built||105 trainsets|
|Formation||12 cars (2 power cars, 10 passenger cars)|
|Capacity||485, 459 (After refurbishment)|
|Train length||237.5 m (779 ft 2 in)|
|Width||Motor car 2.81 m (9 ft 3 in)|
Trailer 2.904 m (9 ft 6.3 in)
|Maximum speed||320 km/h (199 mph)|
|Weight||444 t (437 long tons; 489 short tons) (empty)|
|Power output||10,400 kW (13,947 hp) Max, 8,800 kW (11,801 hp) Cont. @ 25 kV AC|
3,880 kW (5,203 hp) @ 1.5 kV DC
|Electric system(s)||25 kV 50 Hz AC|
1500 V DC
|Safety system(s)||TVM-430, KVB|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8+1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
The TGV Atlantique (TGV-A) is a class of high-speed trains used in France by SNCF; they were built by Alstom between 1988 and 1992, and were the second generation of TGV trains, following on from the TGV Sud-Est.
105 bi-current sets, numbered 301-405, were built for the opening of the LGV Atlantique. Entry into service began in 1989. They are 237.5 m (779 ft) long and 2.904 m (9 ft 6.3 in) wide. They weigh 444 t (437 long tons; 489 short tons), and are made up of two power cars and ten carriages with a total of 485 seats. They were built for a maximum speed of 300 km/h (186 mph) with 8,800 kW (11,801 hp) total power under 25 kV.
Modified unit 325 set the world speed record in 1990 on the new LGV before its opening. Modifications, such as improved aerodynamics, larger wheels and improved braking were made to enable test run speeds of over 500 km/h (311 mph). The set was reduced to two power cars and three carriages to improve the power-to-weight ratio, weighing 250 t (246 long tons; 276 short tons).
|Class||Number in service||Year built||Operator||Current units||Notes|
|Series 24000||105||1988 – 1992||SNCF||301-405||Bicurrent|
- List of high speed trains
- AVE Class 100, a high-speed train in Spain based on the design of the TGV Atlantique
- Du Bois, Jean Pierre (June 1988). "SNCF receives first Atlantique TGV train set". RAIL. No. 81. EMAP National Publications. p. 9. ISSN 0953-4563. OCLC 49953699.
- Perren, Brian (21 September – 4 October 1989). "TGV Atlantique". RAIL. No. 105. EMAP National Publications. pp. 35–42. ISSN 0953-4563. OCLC 49953699.
- Perren, Brian (8–21 February 1990). "300 mph! Preparing for the 21st century". RAIL. No. 115. EMAP National Publications. pp. 40–43. ISSN 0953-4563. OCLC 49953699.