Santa Rosa Band of Cahuilla Indians
|Regions with significant populations|
|United States ( California)|
|English, Cahuilla language|
|traditional tribal religion,|
Christianity (Roman Catholicism and Protestantism)
|Related ethnic groups|
The Santa Rosa Indian Reservation, not to be confused with the Santa Rosa Rancheria, is a reservation in Riverside County in the Santa Rosa Mountains, near the town of Anza. It is 11,092 acres (44.89 km2) acres large. It was established in 1907.
The federal government closely supervised Cahuilla after 1891. Government schools were opened for Cahuilla children and Protestant missionaries moved onto their reservation. During the 20th century, the tribe supported itself through cattle grazing and wage labor. Many members of the Santa Rosa band do not live on the reservation. In 1970, only 7 out of 61 enrolled tribal members lived on the reservation. Education and economic diversity has improved for the tribes since the 1970s.
- "California Indians and Their Reservations." San Diego State University Library and Information Access. 2009. Retrieved 1 Nov 2012
- Eargle, 111
- Bean, 584-5
- Pritzker, 120
- "Tribal Governments by Area." Archived 2010-05-05 at the Wayback Machine National Congress of American Indians. (retrieved 19 February 2012)
- Bean, Lowell John. "Cahuilla." Heizer, Robert F., volume ed. Handbook of North American Indians: California, Volume 8. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1978. ISBN 978-0-16-004574-5.
- Eargle, Jr., Dolan H. California Indian Country: The Land and the People. San Francisco: Tree Company Press, 1992. ISBN 0-937401-20-X.
- Pritzker, Barry M. A Native American Encyclopedia: History, Culture, and Peoples. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000. ISBN 978-0-19-513877-1.
- James, Harry Clebourne (1968) . The Cahuilla Indians. Morongo Indian Reservation: Malki Museum Press (Westernlore Press). ASIN B0007HDH7E. LCCN 60010491. OCLC 254156323. LCC E99.K27 J3 ASIN B0007EJ4OM
- Home page Santa Rosa Band
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Santa Rosa Reservation