The utility cover, also known as the utility cap and eight-pointed cover, is the United States Marine Corps cap, worn with their utility uniform. It is an eight-pointed hat, with a visor similar to a baseball cap. It is worn "blocked", that is, creased and peaked, for a sharper appearance. It is also worn by the U.S. Navy units such as Seabees and Beachmasters. It is also worn with the newer Navy Working Uniform as well as the Woodland BDU and Desert DCU uniform. It is also under consideration by the United States Coast Guard's uniform board, and has been publicly wear-tested by former Commandant Adm. Robert J. Papp, Jr.
The utility cover was first issued in World War II, with the Herringbone Twill utility uniform issued in 1943. It was based on a US Army field cap design and a railroad engineer cap. World War II Marines nicknamed it the raider cap from its use by the Marine Raiders. It was made from herringbone twill until 1959, when the material changed to cotton sateen.
It is currently issued in desert and woodland MARPAT camouflage patterns, though older versions came in M81 woodland, six-color desert, three-color desert camouflage patterns and olive drab. All versions except those worn with the Navy Working Uniform, or those worn by Navy Seabees and Beachmasters, have the Marine Corps' Eagle, Globe, and Anchor (EGA) insignia on the front above the bill, the Navy versions having the wearer's rank insignia instead. When the USMC used the BDU from the 1980s to the early 2000s, the EGA was ironed-on via a heat-transfer decal, though now it is embroidered on the MCCUU.
- Boonie hat
- Patrol cap the United States Army and United States Air Force equivalent.
- Marine Corps Combat Utility Uniform
- Side cap
- Uniforms of the Marine Corps from MarineParents.com: A Place to Connect & Share(tm)
- Marine Corps ALMAR ->MCBUL 1020. MARINE CORPS UNIFORM BOARD MEETING NR 190 AND 191
- Marine For Life - Marine Corps Uniforms
- New Navy Working Uniform and Service Uniform Concepts Approved
- "USMC WW II HBT Uniform". www.olive-drab.com. Retrieved 2016-05-09.
- "Field Cap". www.olive-drab.com. Retrieved 2016-05-09.
- p.26 Rottman, Gordon L. US Marine Corps 1941-45 Osprey Publishing, 1995
- p.18 Gilbert, Ed US Marine Corps Raider 1942-43 Osprey Publishing, 2006
- Marine Corps Utility Cap
- Vietnam Marines 1965-73. Osprey Publishing. 1992-11-26. ISBN 9781855322516.
Media related to Utility covers at Wikimedia Commons