This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A whoopee cap is a style of headwear popular among youths in the mid 20th century in the United States. It was often made from a man's felt fedora hat with the brim trimmed with a scalloped cut and turned up. In the 1920s and 1930s, such caps usually indicated the wearer was a mechanic. It is also referred to as a Jughead hat, palookaville cap, devils cap, clubhouse hat, dink cap, rat cap, or Kingpin.
Television and film
- The character Goober Pyle in The Andy Griffith Show wears this.
- In the 1974 film Death Wish, Jeff Goldblum wore one in his screen debut as the truly deviant 'Freak #1'.
- Leo Gorcey wore a similar beanie playing opposite James Cagney in the 1938 film, Angels with Dirty Faces.
- Sylvester “Porky” Brockway, Jeff Miller’s friend on the television show Lassie, wore this kind of hat.
- The character Skuzz in The Berenstain Bears wears one in the 2003 show as well as in the books.
- The character Frank Taylor (played by Humphrey Bogart) in the 1937 film Black Legion wears this.
- The character Jughead Jones (portrayed by Cole Sprouse) is always seen wearing one in the 2017 CW TV show "Riverdale".
- The character Hermie Brandt in the Twilight Zone episode "The Incredible World of Horace Ford" is wearing a whoopee cap. A character who serves as a sinister reminder of Horace Ford's past, Hermie is clad in typical 1920s clothing.
- The character Scott Leadready ii wears a Whoopie cap in the show Teacher's Pet
- Archie Comics character Jughead Jones wears this cap, which remains one of his trademarks even decades after it has gone out of style.
- Harvey Comics character Melvin Wisenheimer, friend of Little Audrey, wears one.
- The Encyclopedia Brown novels have the primary antagonist, Bugs Meany, don this cap.
- They popped up in several popular songs of the day, including "The Whoopee Hat Brigade", which was recorded by many different bands.
- In A. E. Hotchner's Memoir, especially King of the Hill, he refers to it as a 'feltie'. He made it from his father's old fedora, decorated it with buttons he collects and puts it on whenever he leaves the house.
- One of the hats for Scout in Team Fortress 2 is a Whoopee Cap, decorated with fictional brands from the game.
- Jughead and Friends Digest Magazine. Archie Comic Publications, Inc. February 2008.