|Date opened:||5 July 2008 (petrol station)
23 August 2008 (main services)
Wetherby Services is a major service station north of Wetherby on the A1(M) in northern England. The service station fully opened in September 2008. The service station lies just inside North Yorkshire in the parish of Kirk Deighton (the actual town of Wetherby lying on the West Yorkshire side of the border line). The service station is situated on junction 46, the interchange between the A1(M) and the B1224. The service station is operated by Moto Hospitality.
The service station arrangement is single sided. Unlike older service stations which are situated on both sides of the motorway, each having their own amenities, or the amenities being concentrated on one side and a footbridge linking them, Wetherby is all on one site, access can be gained from both sides of the motorway via the flyovers of Junction 46 (A1(M)/ B1224 Sandbeck Approach/ Racecourse Approach Interchange).
The new service station uses the latest 'green technologies' in its construction and running, making it the UK's first carbon neutral service station. The service station will include a 126-bed Days Inn hotel, which will be the first major hotel in the north of the town. The service station will actually fall into North Yorkshire and so technically be under separate jurisdiction to Wetherby. The services opened (except for the hotel) in August 2008, with the hotel opening the following summer.
Facilities include a Marks and Spencer Simply Food (the second branch in Wetherby after the main one in the town centre), a Costa Coffee (also the second in Wetherby after the main one in the town centre), a WH Smiths, a Burger King and a BP filling station.
This new service area has been built due to the re-alignment and upgrading of this section of the A1 to motorway standard, now bypassing several older service areas and petrol stations, the best known being the Selby Fork services.
A Greggs recently opened.
- Wetherby, Motorway Services Online, UK. Accessed 16 February 2009.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20080930080704/http://moto-way.com/page.cfm?Section=7.0. Archived from the original on 30 September 2008. Retrieved 20 September 2008. Missing or empty
- New Moto Station to hold open day in Wetherby, Wetherby News, 29 April 2008.
- Motorway Services | Moto - the UKs largest motorway services provider > Moto Coach, Moto Hospitality, UK. Archived 14 September 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
- Service station 126-room hotel given the go-ahead, Knaresborough Post.
- Moto Wetherby Motorway Service Area, Deighton Road, Kirk Deighton, LS22 5GT, Harrogate Borough Council, UK. Archived 24 September 2008 at the Wayback Machine.