This is a collection of useful resources for researching aviation related articles. With the exception of those listed in the "Other sources" section, these sources should pass WP:RS. If any editor wishes to question the reliability of a particular source, please bring the issue up on the talk page.
Editors can request access to specific articles or books or information on a specific topic at Wikipedia:WikiProject Resource Exchange/Resource Request.
General aviation topics
- Belgian Wings, civil and military aviation in Belgium.
- Aeronautical Information Manual - Canada
- Aviation Glossary - Canada
- Nav Canada Publications, AIP, NOTAM manual, Airport Charts, etc.
- Transport Canada Listing of Accepted Advanced Ultralights
- Sauter, John. Atlas Historique des terrains d'aviation en France 1919-1947 (CD-ROM) (in French). Direction Générale de l'Aviation Civile. ISBN 2-11-095385-3. - An atlas of French airfields from 1919-47.
- Herman Dekker's website (Dutch) a wealth of Dutch aviation topics
- Aeronautical Information Manual - USA
- Joe Baugher's website US military aircraft serial numbers, type histories etc.
- EAA List of Experimental Light-Sport Aircraft (E-LSA)
- EAA List of Special Light-Sport Aircraft (S-LSA)
- ABCD list - Airbus, Boeing, Convair and Douglas aircraft.
- Aviation Week magazine
- AvWeb Weekly aviation news service
- Cross and Cockade International - Early C20th aviation up to 1920.
- Flightglobal - All issues of Flight and Flight International from 1909-2005 available online.
- flightmapper.net - lists flights per airport and airline.
- Ruud Leeuw's website - lots of civil aviation related articles.
- The Incomplete Guide to Airfoil Usage - a listing of airfoils used on aircraft
- Vic Smith's aviation website Accidents from 1919 - 1940s, other useful stuff, useful links.
- Eurocontrol Designators for Aircraft Operating Agencies, Aeronautical Authorities and Services - a reliable source for ICAO airline codes and callsigns
- ICAO Aircraft Type Designators - official ICAO type designator information
- Sailplane Directory
- Speitel, Louise; Hill, Richard G.; FAA Technical Center. "Study of Benefits of Passenger Protective Breathing Equipment from Analysis of Past Accidents" March 1988 - analysis of accidents involving fire 1966-86
Aircraft registration databases
- United Kingdom
- United States
- Global Aircraft Registration and Airlines-Aircraft Operators Database Lookup
- Golden Years of Aviation (Worldwide, 1919-27)
- sr692.com, a complete listing of all Swissair aircraft.
- UK Serials Resource Centre - amateur site for UK military aircraft serials
- Herman Dekker's website (Dutch) - Aircrashes from 1920-83
- The Aviation Herald
- Aviacrash website (Dutch) Accidents involving Dutch-registered airliners.
- The Aviation Safety Network
- The Jet Airliner Crash Data Evaluation Centre
- From Vic Smith's website - Accidents by year and month
Year Month 1919 - - - - - - - Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec 1920 Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec 1921 Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec 1922 Jan Feb Mar - - - - - - - - - 1929 - - - - - - - Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec 1930 Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec 1931 Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec 1932 Jan Feb Mar - - - - - - - - - 1939 - - - - - - - Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec 1940 Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec 1941 Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec 1942 Jan Feb Mar - - - - - - - - -
These bodies are responsible for the investigation of accidents and incidents involving civil aircraft.
- JIAAC (Spanish) Junta de Investigaciones de Accidentes de Aviación Civil
- ATSB - Australian Transport Safety Bureau
- BAV Bundesanstalt für Verkehr
- BCAD - Barbados Civil Aviation Department
- CENIPA - Aeronautical Accidents Investigation and Prevention Center
- TSB - Transportation Safety Board of Canada
- DGAC (Spanish) - Dirección General de Aeronáutica Civil
- UAEAC (Spanish) - Unidad Administrativa Especial de Aeronáutica Civil
- MAK (Russian) - Interstate Aviation Committee. Covers most former Soviet Union states.
- IACC (Spanish) - Instituto de Aeronáutica Civil de Cuba
- AAII - Air Accidents Investigation Institute
- ANAC (French) Agence Nationale de l'Aviation Civile du Congo
- Bureau Permanent d’Enquêtes d’Accidents et Incidents d’Aviation
- AIB -Accident Investigation Board Denmark
- DIAI (Spanish) - Departamento de Investigación de Accidentes e Incidentes
- DAC (Spanish) - Dirección General de Aviación Civil del Ecuador
- AIB - Accident Investigation Board of Finland
- BEA - Bureau d'Enquêtes et d'Analyses pour la Sécurité de l'Aviation Civile
- BFU - Bundesstelle für Flugunfalluntersuchung
- AAIASB - Air Accident Investigation and Aviation Safety Board
- AAC - Autoridad de Aviación Civil (El Salvador)
- CAD - Civil Aviation Department (Hong Kong)
- KBSZ - Transportation Safety Bureau
- RF - Rannsóknarnefnd flugslysa
- DGCA - Directorate General of Civil Aviation
- NTSC - National Transportation Safety Committee
- CAO - Iran Civil Aviation Organization
- AAIU - Air Accident Investigation Unit
- ANSV - Agenzia Nazionale per la Sicurezza del Volo
- JCAA - Jamaica Civil Aviation Authority
- JTSB - Japan Transport Safety Board
- KCAA - Kenya Civil Aviation Authority
- LCAA - Lebanese Civil Aviation Authority
- Administration for Technical Investigations
- AICC - Accident Investigation Coordination Committee
- BAAI - Bureau of Air Accident Investigation
- SCT - Secretaría de Comunicaciones y Transportes
- CAA - Civil Aviation Administration, Department of Flight Safety
- OVV - Onderzoeksraad voor Veiligheid
- CAAN - Civil Aviation Authority of Nepal
- TAIC - Transport Accident Investigation Commission
- INAC Instituto Nicaragüense de Aeronáutica Civil
- AIB Nigerian Accident Investigation Bureau
- SHT - Statens Havarikommisjon for Transport
- CAA - Civil Aviation Authority of Pakistan
- CIAA (Spanish) - Comisión de Investigación de Accidentes de Aviación
- CAAC (Chinese) - Civil Aviation Administration of China
- CAAP - Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines
- PKBWL - Państwowa Komisja Badania Wypadków Lotniczych
- GPIAA (Portuguese) - Gabinete de Prevenção e Investigação de Acidentes com Aeronaves
- GACA - General Authority of Civil Aviation
- CAAIC - Civil Aviation Accident Investigation Commission
- AAIB - Air Accident Investigation Bureau of Singapore
- - Aviation and Maritime Investigation Authority
- SACAA - South African Civil Aviation Authority
- ARAIB - Aviation and Railway Accident Investigation Board
- CIAIAC (Spanish) - Comisión de Investigación de Accidentes e Incidentes de Aviación Civil
- SHK - Statens Haverikommission
- AAIB - Aircraft Accident Investigation Bureau
- ASC - Aviation Safety Council
- DCA - Department of Civil Aviation (Thailand)
- CAA - Trinidad and Tobago Civil Aviation Authority
- GCAA - General Civil Aviation Authority
- AAIB - Air Accidents Investigation Branch
- NTSB - National Transportation Safety Board
Type certificate data sheets
- Type Certificates - Canada
- Type Certificates - United States
- Supplemental Type Certificates - United States
- Airworthiness Directives - United States
- EASA - Type Certificate Data Sheets - Aircraft
- The Times Archive (subscription required, but may be accessible for UK editors who have a library card via their library's website). A wealth of info to be found, covers dates between 1785 and 1985.
- California Digital Newspaper Collection
These sources may not meet WP:RS, but may provide info including links to RSs that are usable.
- Pprune, the Professional Pilots Rumour Network.
- Archive.org - locate archived old versions of websites, including defunct manufacturers, etc.
- / Kent History Forum, has an aviation section.