World Humanist Congress
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
The World Humanist Congress is a triennial international congress convened by Humanists International, the world union of humanist organisations. Each congress is hosted by a national member organisation of Humanists International in a different part of the world, in conjunction with the elected board of Humanists International. It is the largest event in the world specifically gathering humanists and humanist organisations, attracting more than 1,000 delegates from 60 countries.
The most recent World Humanist Congress was held from 7–11 August 2014, in Oxford, England, in association with member organisation Humanists UK. The 2017 was scheduled to be held in São Paulo, Brazil and hosted by the Secular Humanist League of Brazil (LiHS) but was cancelled due to visa restrictions created by the Trump travel ban that year. The following Congress in Miami, United States,in association with the American Humanist Association also had to be cancelled as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.
List of World Humanist Congress events
- 2020 - Miami, United states
- 2017 - replaced with a special conference on populism in London, England
- 2014 - Oxford, England
- 2011 - Oslo, Norway
- 2008 - Washington, USA
- 2005 - Paris, France
- 2002 - Noordweijkerhout, Netherlands
- 1999 - Mumbai, India
- 1996 - Mexico City, Mexico
- 1992 - Amsterdam, Netherlands
- 1990 - Brussels, Belgium
- 1988 - Buffalo, USA
- 1986 - Oslo, Norway
- 1982 - Hannover, Germany
- 1978 - London, England
- 1974 - Amsterdam, Netherlands
- 1970 - Boston, USA
- 1966 - Paris, France
- 1962 - Oslo, Norway
- 1957 - London, England
- 1952 - Amsterdam, Netherlands
- "Taslima Nasreen draws hugely successful World Humanist Congress to a close". Humanists UK. Retrieved 2019-10-09.
- "Successful start to the World Humanist Congress". Humanists UK. Retrieved 2019-10-09.
- "Cancellation of World Humanist Congress 2017 – and new plans for August". International Humanist and Ethical Union. 10 February 2017. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- "2020 World Humanist Congress". 2020 World Humanist Congress. Retrieved 2019-10-09.