World Humanist Congress
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The World Humanist Congress is an international congress held every three years on behalf of the International Humanist and Ethical Union (IHEU). Each congress is held in a different part of the world and is organised by a host member organisation in conjunction with the IHEU executive committee.
The most recent congress was held on August 7–11, 2014, in Oxford, England, in association with member organization the British Humanist Association (BHA). The next congress was to be held in 2017 in São Paulo, Brazil, in association with member organization the Secular Humanist League of Brazil (LiHS) but changes in the Brazilian economy and a travel ban in the United States which would have impacted humanists from seven Muslim-majority countries caused the event to be cancelled. In place of a World Humanist Congress, the BHA will assist IHEU with organising an international general assembly in London.
IHEU Congresses aim at:
- Bringing together members of IHEU’s Member Organisations and individual supporters to discuss matters of concern, to learn and to draw inspiration from each other.
- Focusing global humanist attention on selected issues, so that an IHEU position on the issue can be formulated.
- Showcasing the role and aims of IHEU, promoting knowledge and understanding of IHEU among other NGOs in the region.
- Creating increased visibility for IHEU and humanism in the media – thereby achieving a generally raised profile for Humanism and humanist concerns in the region.
- Helping build a network of international contacts among Congress participants.
- Creating opportunities for IHEU-kindred organisations to participate in our activities and meetings, on a reciprocal basis.
- 2014 - Oxford, England
- 2011 - Oslo, Norway
- 2008 - Washington, USA
- 2005 - Paris, France
- 2002 - Noordweijkerhout, Netherlands
- 1999 - Mumbai, India
- 1996 - Mexico City, Mexico
- 1992 - Amsterdam, Netherlands
- 1990 - Brussels, Belgium
- 1988 - Buffalo, USA
- 1986 - Oslo, Norway
- 1982 - Hannover, Germany
- 1978 - London, England
- 1974 - Amsterdam, Netherlands
- 1970 - Boston, USA
- 1966 - Paris, France
- 1962 - Oslo, Norway
- 1957 - London, England
- 1952 - Amsterdam, Netherlands
- "Cancellation of World Humanist Congress 2017 – and new plans for August". International Humanist and Ethical Union. 10 February 2017. Retrieved 10 February 2017.