2008 in animation
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The year 2008 in animation involved some animation-related events.
- February 18 - Nickelodeon celebrates the revival of show The Fairly OddParents with the TV movie Fairly OddBaby. This has been the first new episode since 2006.
- March 23 - Futurama returns to air on Comedy Central after its cancellation by Fox in 2003, and was revived as direct to video movies, and new episodes would air in 2010.
- September 20 - After 11-years, the Toonami block was officially canceled by Cartoon Network.
- Academy Award for Best Animated Feature: WALL-E
- Animation Kobe Feature Film Award: Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone
- Annecy International Animated Film Festival Cristal du long métrage: Sita Sings the Blues
- Annie Award for Best Animated Feature: Kung Fu Panda
- Asia Pacific Screen Award for Best Animated Feature Film: Waltz with Bashir
- BAFTA Award for Best Animated Film: WALL-E
- Goya Award for Best Animated Film: The Missing Lynx
- Japan Academy Prize for Animation of the Year: Ponyo
- Japan Media Arts Festival Animation Grand Prize: La Maison en Petits Cubes
- Mainichi Film Awards - Animation Grand Award: The Sky Crawlers
Television series debuts
- February 4 - The Mr. Men Show debuts on Cartoon Network (2008–2009).
- April 18 - Ben 10: Alien Force debuts on Cartoon Network (2008–2010).
- November 14 - Batman: The Brave and the Bold, an animated television series based on the DC Comics series, debuts on Cartoon Network (2008–2011).
- November 29 - The Penguins of Madagascar debuts on Nickelodeon (2008–present).
Television series endings
- January 25 - Codename: Kids Next Door on Cartoon Network (2002–2008).
- April 15 - Ben 10 on Cartoon Network (2005–2008).
- July 19 - Avatar: The Last Airbender on Nickelodeon (2005–2008).
- April 14 – Ollie Johnston, American animator (b. 1912)
- September 2 – Bill Melendez, Mexican-American animator, director, producer, and voice actor (b. 1916)
- "これまでの記録（第11回～15回）". Anime Kobe (in Japanese). Retrieved 2012-03-06.