|City of license||Edmonton, Alberta|
|Broadcast area||Edmonton Capital Region|
|Branding||TSN Radio 1260|
|Slogan||The Evolution of Sports Radio
Home of the Hockey Experts
|Frequency||1050 kHz (AM)|
|First air date||April 17, 1927 as CHMA|
|Callsign meaning||Rice and Nielsen|
Fox Sports Radio/Premiere Radio Networks
CBS Sports Radio
Programmed by TSN (Bell Media – 80% / ESPN – 20%)
(Astral Media Radio G.P.)
|Sister stations||CFBR-FM, CFMG-FM, CFRN-DT|
CFRN is a Canadian Class A, 50,000 watt (directional at night) radio station in Edmonton, Alberta. Owned by Bell Media and broadcasting on 1260 AM, the station airs an all-sports format, branded as TSN Radio 1260. The station's studios are located at 18520 Stony Plain Road in Edmonton, where it shares studio space with its sister station, CTV O&O CFRN-TV. Both stations continued to share space after the radio and TV operations were sold to different owners in the 1980s, but were united in 2013 by Bell's acquisition of Astral Media.
CKHJ in Fredericton, New Brunswick, is the only other commercial radio station in Canada which broadcasts on 1260 AM; it broadcasts 10,000 watts day and night, with a directional (three-tower) antenna. The other two Canadian stations on 1260 AM (CBPM & CBPU) are weather stations, which are owned by The Meteorological Service of Canada. Both of those weather stations broadcast with a power of 30 watts.
In 1927, the station originally launched as CHMA at 580 AM. In the 1930s, CHMA became CFTP.
During the 1930s, the station changed its calls from CFTP to its current call sign, CFRN. Later that decade, the station moved to its current frequency, 1260 AM.
In 1936, the station moved from 1260 to 960 AM. In 1941, CFRN moved back to 1260 AM.
On July 1, 1998, CFRN flipped from adult standards to oldies, debuting Standard Radio's new oldies network, with CISL in Vancouver, delivered via Anik satellite. The new oldies network replaced the former Satellite Radio Network service.
Switch to sports radio
In 2002, CFRN flipped to sports radio as The Team 1260, as an affiliate of CHUM Radio's The Team network. However, the network folded shortly afterwords. CFRN would maintain its branding as The Team as a locally-programmed format, while adding syndicated programs such as Prime Time Sports and The Jim Rome Show. In 2007, Standard Radio was acquired by Astral Media. In turn, Astral Media was acquired by Bell Media on July 5, 2013—the acquisition re-united CFRN with its sister television station, and with The Team's former owned-and-operated stations.
- Nielson and Fraser in the Morning - featuring Dustin Nielson and Wil Fraser; Monday to Friday from 6:00 AM to 10:00 AM.
- The Lowdown with Lowetide - Hosted by Allan Mitchell Aka Lowetide, Weekdays from 10:00 AM to Noon
- The Jason Gregor Show - Hosted by Jason Gregor, weekdays from 2:00 PM to 6:00 PM (this show formerly had the 9 to Midnight time slot). Jason has regular weekly co-hosts including TSN reporter Ryan Rishaug, and journalist Robin Brownlee.
- The Jason Strudwick Show - Hosted by former NHLer Jason Strudwick, weeknights from 9:00 PM to Midnight.
Weekly or bi-weekly
- Krush Sports Performance Show - Hosted by Jeff Krushell, Craig Moonen; weekly
- The Pipeline Show - Hockey program hosted by Global Edmonton's Dean Millard and columnist Guy Flaming; weekly
Former shows and games
- The Mark Spector Show - Hosted by Mark Spector
- Cracker-Cats Show - Hosted by Al Coates
- Sports-Xtra - Hosted by Tony Fiorello and Ron Rimer
- Edmonton Cracker-Cats live play-by-play - Games were carried on the Team 1260 during the first two years of the franchise. Al Coates handled the play by play
- Total Sports - Hosted by Bob Stauffer; featuring the 'Total Sports Dream Team' of co-hosts
- What's Going On - Hosted by Jason Jones, Corey Graham and Nadine Woudstra
- Sports Talk - Hosted by John Short
- More on Sports - featuring play-by-play veteran Bryn Griffiths and Jake Daniels (the "voice of the fan").
- Way Offside - Hosted by Jake Daniels
TSN Radio 1260 is the flagship station for the following teams' radio broadcasts:
- FC Edmonton (NASL soccer)
- Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL hockey)
- Edmonton Rush (NLL lacrosse)
- Spruce Grove Saints AJHL hockey (select games)
- University of Alberta Golden Bears football and hockey games (select games)
The station will also air national programming from the TSN Radio network.
- Official website
- CFRN history at Canadian Communications Foundation
- Query the REC's Canadian station database for CFRN