|Subsidiary of Chang'an Motors|
|Headquarters||Jingdezhen, Jiangxi, China|
Making passenger cars and microvans, small trucks and vans for commercial purposes, Changhe has an estimated 200,000 (227,000 to 260,000) units/year production capacity as of 2010. Production capacity figures may consider engines and vehicles as discrete.
Changhe was well established by 1973, the year in which trial production of buses began. Originally only making buses, production of a small passenger vehicle (the Suzuki Carry ST90V) began in 1982 and began a long relationship with the Japanese automaker. Currently, Changhe companies make both Suzuki and Changhe-branded vehicles. In 1995, Suzuki and Changhe joined forces to form a joint venture company, Jiangxi Changhe-Suzuki Automobile Co Ltd. This JV does not make all the Suzuki-branded automobiles sold on the Chinese market as some are produced by the Japanese company's other Chinese joint venture, Changan Suzuki. Imported models are marketed by Suzuki Motor (China) Investment Co Ltd.
Suzuki may currently be unhappy with its Chinese partners. Despite being an early entrant in the Chinese auto market, this Japanese company has lackluster sales in the country. Suzuki's efforts to change the situation by merging its two joint ventures—since Chinese business law does not allow any foreign company more than two—have so far been stymied by its Chinese partners, who instead hope Suzuki will improve their situation. The Chinese State may also not want new foreign-Chinese joint auto-making ventures at this time. An effort to sell the entire Suzuki model range at unified dealerships fell through in 2008. (This may have been tried again in 2010.)
Changhe-Suzuki's first products were various versions of the Suzuki Carry micro-buses and trucks. Current micro-bus products include the Suzuki Wagon R (called the Big Dipper and in Chinese: 北斗星) and the newer Suzuki Landy (Chinese: 浪迪; pinyin: Làngdí). In 2006 Changhe themselves introduced the new microvan CH6390 Freedom (also called Friend), which has Suzuki underpinnings but a Changhe-designed body.
While microbuses continue to be a core product, several recently introduced small cars have expanded the company's product line. These include the subcompact Changhe Ideal, first seen in October 2003, a self-developed car albeit with styling by Bertone and some Suzuki technology. The Suzuki Liana (Chinese: 利亚纳; pinyin: Lìyǎnà) is also offered. While lower end Changhes depend on common, Chinese-built engines also used by a variety of other local brands, Changhe builds the Suzuki K12B and K14B engines for use in higher end versions. These have seen use in a variety of products of Changhe's, including the Suzuki Wagon R, Liana, and Landy, as well as the Changhe Freedom and Ideal.
Changhe exports to some European and South American nations. These exports may be in the form of complete knock-down kits.
Some Changhe models are sold in Brazil and Uruguay under the brand name Effa, and here the Ideal has been renamed the M100. Total Brazilian sales of the Ideal in 2010 were a reported 426 units. In Venezuela, the first Latin American country to receive a Changhe product (2007), the official dealer of the Changhe Ideal was Cinascar, but the Ideal is no longer listed on Cinascar's website. In Peru and/or Colombia, Faga Motors sells various Changhe microvans.
The Ideal is also marketed in the Ukraine.
Changhe is planning on debuting a technical service advice line for its passenger car purchasers, who will call in to receive freely dispensed advice on how to best maintain their vehicles.
- Changhe Ideal
- Changhe Ideal 2
- Changhe Weixing Huoche
- Changhe Junma
- Changhe Ling Wang
- Changhe CH
- Changhe Furuida
- Changhe Fuyun
- Changhe Haixiang
- Changhe Haitun
Changhe locates its production in Jiangxi Province, at Jingdezhen City and Jiujiang City, and in the capital of Anhui province, Hefei. Engines are made at the Jiujiang location, and all three production bases assemble cars.
- Year in review: A memorable 2009 saw China's ascent to top of global vehicle market chinadaily.com.cn, 2010-04-24
- Profile of the Enterprise Changhe Official Site (Archive.org cache)
- Milestone merger reshapes Suzuki chinadaily.com.cn, 2010-03-29 09:26
- Newest development plan for Changhe Auto. globaltimes.cn, May 17, 2010
- Changan Auto Group opens three new R&D centers. globaltime.cn, April 21, 2010
- World of Cars 2006·2007. Warsaw, Poland: Media Connection Sp. z o.o. 2006. p. 228.
- Overseas Network: Asia Suzuki Official Site
- Suzuki announces exhibits for Auto Shanghai 2007 (page 2/2) Suzuki Global News, April 20, 2007
- Suzuki, VW, SAIC likely to create three-way JV in China globaltimes.cn, July/26/2010
- "Suzuki seeks new venture in China". Global Times. 2010-07-08.
- Why the Saab-Hawtai deal is likely to fail chinacartimes.com, May 9, 2011 at 5:23 pm
- Suzuki meets setback in merging its China sales gasgoo.com, November 03, 2008
- Milestone merger reshapes Suzuki Yu Qiao (China Daily), 2010-03-2
- 北斗星 [Big Dipper product page] (in Chinese). China Chang'an Automobile Group. Retrieved 2011-05-30.
- "LANDY浪迪" [Landy product page] (in Chinese). China Chang'an Automobile Group. Retrieved 2011-05-30.
- 利亚纳 [Liana product page] (in Chinese). China Chang'an Automobile Group. Retrieved 2011-05-30.
- Suzuki announces exhibits for Beijing International Automotive Exhibition Suzuki Global News, 23 April 2010
- 福瑞达鸿运版参数表 [Changhe Freedom: Specifications] (in Chinese). China Chang'an Automobile Group. Retrieved 2011-05-29.
- "K14B发动机: 图片展示" [K14B engine: photo gallery] (in Chinese). China Chang'an Automobile Group. Retrieved 2011-05-26.
- OFICINAS effamotors.com.br
- Carros: Impressoes ao dirigir; Changhe Ideal abril.com.br, August 2007
- Especificaciones EFFA Ideal grupoaler.com
- "M100 EFFA". effamotors.com.br. Effa Motors. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- "Chineses cresceram 608% no Brasil em 2010". Carros Chineses. 2011-01-11.
- Garcia, Enrique (2008-05-26). "Cinascar Venezuela supera expectativas" [Cinascar Venezuela surpasses expectations]. AutoBlog en Español (in Spanish). AOL.
- For sales in Peru and/or Colombia, see "NOSOTROS". fagamotors.com. Faga Motors. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- For models sold, see "Modelos: Exlusividad de Faga Motors". fagamotors.com. Faga Motors. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- Gamma MM/CoolCar Martin Motors Official Site
- Avtosalon.com.ua, Changhe Ideal II
- K14B engine Changhe Official Site