Erich Freiherr von Seckendorff
|Erich Erwin Heinrich August Veit Freiherr von Seckendorff|
21 June 1897|
|Died||23 September 1944
|Buried at||Obernzenn, Germany|
|Allegiance|| German Empire (to 1918)
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||1914–1944|
|Commands held||Panzer-Brigade 113|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Erich Erwin Heinrich August Veit Freiherr von Seckendorff[a] (21 June 1897 – 23 September 1944) was a highly decorated Generalmajor in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Erich Freiherr von Seckendorff died on 23 September 1944 in Lagarde, France. He was posthumously promoted to Generalmajor.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1914)
- 2nd Class
- 1st Class
- Honour Cross of the World War 1914/1918
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class
- 1st Class
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 4 September 1940 as Oberstleutnant and commander of Kradschützen-Battalion 6
- a Regarding personal names: Freiherr is a former title (translated as Baron), which is now legally a part of the last name. The feminine forms are Freifrau and Freiin.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 322.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.