Global Infrastructure Partners
|Headquarters||New York City, United States
Stamford, Connecticut, United States
|Key people||Adebayo Ogunlesi (Managing Partner and Chairman) |
|AUM||approx. US$15 billion (2012)|
Global Infrastructure Partners (GIP) is a multinational private equity firm headquartered in New York City, United States which specialises in infrastructure investments in the energy, transport and water/waste sectors. It employs approximately 50 investment professionals. The firm's offices are located in New York, Colorado Springs and London with an affiliate in Australia and operational headquarters in Stamford, Connecticut.
Global Infrastructure Partners was established in May 2006. Two of GIP's founding investors in its first fund, GIP1, were Credit Suisse and General Electric. Each of these investors committed approximately 9% of the US$5.64 billion of GIP1's total committed capital.
The firm's first investment was announced in October 2006, a 50:50 joint venture between GIP and American International Group (AIG), to acquire London City Airport from Dermot Desmond for an undisclosed sum. GIP subsequently acquired AIG's stake in the airport in September 2008.
In October 2009 the firm acquired Gatwick Airport, the second largest airport in the United Kingdom by passenger traffic, for £1.5 billion from BAA.In 2012 the firm agreed to acquire Edinburgh Airport from BAA for £807 million 
Their first fund, GIP1, completed its fund raising in May 2008. . The fund became fully invested during 2012. In October 2012 GIP's second fund, GIP2, completed fund raising with US$8.25 billion in investor capital commitments, making it the largest independent infrastructure fund in the world to date.
As of October 2012 Global Infrastructure Partners had aggregate assets under management of approximately US$15 billion, largely concentrated in OECD countries. The Fund's portfolio includes 12 investments in the following assets:
- "Company Overview of Global Infrastructure Partners". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved 15 October 2012.
- "What We Do". Global Infrastructure Partners. Retrieved 16 October 2012.
- "Ogunlesi to head Credit Suisse-GE infrastructure fund". Financial News. 26 July 2006. Retrieved 15 October 2012.
- "American-led group buys London City Airport - Business - International Herald Tribune". The New York Times. 11 October 2006. Retrieved 15 October 2012.
- "Desmond lands €1.1bn for London City Airport". Independent. 12 October 2006. Retrieved 15 October 2012.
- "AIG sells stake in City Airport". London Evening Standard. 30 September 2008. Retrieved 15 October 2012.
- "Gatwick airport sold for £1.5bn". The Telegraph. 21 October 2009. Retrieved 15 October 2012.
- "BAA agrees Gatwick airport sale". BBC News. 21 October 2009. Retrieved 15 October 2012.
- "Edinburgh Airport sold to Global Infrastructure Partners for £807m". BBC News. 23 April 2012. Retrieved 15 October 2012.
- "Edinburgh Airport changes hands to Global Infrastructure Partners". BBC News. 1 June 2012. Retrieved 15 October 2012.
- "Global Infrastructure Partners raises record $8.25 billion". Reuters. 3 October 2012. Retrieved 15 October 2012.
- "Investments". Global Infrastructure Partners. Retrieved 16 October 2012.