|Nickname(s): Херсонщина (Khersonshchyna)|
|• Governor||Kostyak Mukola Mukhailovuch (Party of Regions)|
|• Chairperson||Peluh Viktor Grugorovuch (Party of Regions)|
|• Total||28,461 km2 (10,989 sq mi)|
|• Rank||Ranked 22nd|
|• Density||40/km2 (100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|ISO 3166 code||UA-65|
|Cities of oblast subordinance||3|
Kherson Oblast (Ukrainian: Херсонська область, translit. Khersons’ka oblast’; also referred to as Khersonshchyna – Ukrainian: Херсонщина) is an oblast (province) in southern Ukraine, just north of Crimea. Its administrative center is Kherson. The area of the region is 29000 km², its population (as of 1 May 2004) is 1.12 million.
Important cities in the oblast include:
The Kherson Oblast is bordered by the Dnipropetrovsk Oblast on the north, the Black Sea and the Crimea on the south, the Mykolayiv Oblast on the west, and the Azov Sea and the Zaporizhzhia Oblast on the east.
The following data incorporates the number of each type of administrative divisions of the Kherson Oblast:
- Administrative Center – 1 (Kherson)
- Raions – 18;
- City raions – 3;
- Settlements – 697, including:
- Selsovets – 260.
The local administration of the oblast' is controlled by the Kherson Oblast Rada. The governor of the oblast' is the Kherson Oblast Rada speaker, appointed by the President of Ukraine.
The population of the oblast is 1,367,685 (2004), which is 2.4% of the total population of Ukraine. It is also ranked 21st by its population. The population density is 43 p/km²
About 61.5% or 745,400 people live in urban areas of the Oblast and 38.5% or 467,600 people live in agricultural centers/villages. Men make up 46.7% or 565,400 people of the population, women make up 53.3% or 644,600 people, and pensioners make up 26.2% or 317,400 people of the Oblast population.
- 0-14 years: 15.1% (male 83,397/female 79,303)
- 15-64 years: 70.5% (male 364,907/female 393,933)
- 65 years and over: 14.4% (male 50,404/female 104,856) (2013 official)
- total: 39.5 years
- male: 36.2 years
- female: 42.7 years (2013 official)
- Legendary tachanka monument
- Kurhan cemetery
- Shovkunek Art museum
- Saint-Yekaterynian Temple
- Portal of Kherson
- Site of Kherson nationalists
- State Administration of Kherson Region – official site (Ukrainian)
- Information Card of the Region – official site of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine