Kim Soo-hyun at the 2014 PaekSang Arts Awards
February 16, 1988 |
Seoul, South Korea
|Alma mater||Chung-Ang University|
|Occupation||Actor, Model, Singer|
|Height||180 cm (5 ft 11 in)|
|Revised Romanization||Gim Su-hyeon|
Kim Soo-hyun (Hangul: 김수현; hanja: 金秀賢; born February 16, 1988) is a South Korean actor, best known for his roles in the television dramas Dream High, Moon Embracing the Sun, and My Love from the Star, as well as the movies The Thieves and Secretly, Greatly.
- 1 Early and personal life
- 2 Career
- 3 Filmography
- 4 Musical theatre
- 5 Discography
- 6 Endorsements
- 7 Ambassadorial roles
- 8 Awards and nominations
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Early and personal life
Kim Soo-hyun was a timid child during his middle school days and no one expected him to enter the entertainment industry. To change his introverted personality, his mother encouraged him to take acting classes before high school and through this Kim's aspiration to pursue an acting career grew. He then enrolled in Chung-Ang University, majoring in Theater and Film Studies and partook in musicals such as A Midsummer Night's Dream and Grease.
2007–2008: Television career beginnings
Kim made his television debut with a supporting role in the 2007 family sitcom Kimchi Cheese Smile and in 2008, landed a lead role in KBS's critically acclaimed youth drama Jungle Fish. Based on a true story, it tackles the serious issues of school cheating, competitive academic standards, and interactive blogging in a fresh way. The drama won a number of awards, including the Peabody Award, a Seoul Drama Festival award as well as an Asia-Pacific Broadcasting Union prize.
2009–2010: Rising popularity
In 2009, Kim acted in the short film Worst Friends by Namkoong Sun, which won the Best Film in Social Drama award at the Mise en Scène Short Film Festival and the well-received two-episode SBS year-end drama special where he acted alongside veteran actor Choi Min-soo.
He further raised his profile through his memorable turns as the younger version of the male lead characters in Will It Snow for Christmas? and Giant, the latter in which won him his first acting award. Upon receiving the award, Kim made his famous “10 years promise” acceptance speech and was quoted saying “Please take care of me by giving me more attention in this ten years, I will become a real actor.”
2011: Dream High and singing career debut
He became a household name in 2011, playing a country bumpkin who turned out to be a musical genius in the teen drama Dream High. As the only young actor in a cast of idols, Kim studied song and dance for three months at JYP Entertainment to pull off the required scenes in the drama. According to the production company, he lived no differently from the other trainees at JYP as he learned singing and dancing for hours every day.
For the drama's soundtrack, he recorded two songs, his solo "Dreaming" as well as the title track "Dream High" with the rest of the cast. He appeared in several music programs and concerts after the drama's completion and even made a cameo in the pilot episode of its second season.
2012: Moon Embracing the Sun and big screen debut
His popularity skyrocketed when he starred in the hit period drama Moon Embracing the Sun, as the young king Lee Hwon. The drama not only ranked number one in its time slot throughout its run but also achieved a peak recorded viewer rating of 42.2 percent thereby earning the "national drama" status. He again contributed his vocals to the soundtrack with the traditional ballad "Only You" which topped digital music charts, and the more modern in composition "Another Way" released as the single "Secret Version".
Due to his charismatic portrayal of King Lee Hwon, Kim created the so-called “Hwon syndrome” and was chosen as the face of 17 products simultaneously. In that year, Kim was able to set a new record for product endorsements which was previously held in 2009 by Olympic figure skater Kim Yuna. His advertisements include a laptop, cameras, suits, cosmetics, sportswear, outdoor goods, a coffeehouse franchise, a restaurant, a bakery, pizza, dessert jellies, beer, fabric softener and a telecommunications company.
He also won several recognitions for the said drama including the hotly debated Best Drama Actor at the 2012 Baeksang Arts Awards as he was the youngest and newest actor among the nominees in the category. Beating out heavyweight veterans such as Han Suk-kyu, Shin Ha-kyun and Cha Seung-won, Kim said "I am very grateful for this moment, but I am ashamed as well. It’s like getting a lot of homework. I’ll keep trying to become a better actor in order to remain worthy of this award."
Kim made his big-screen debut in the star-studded heist film The Thieves, touted by the press as the Korean version of Ocean's Eleven. His character Zampano is the youngest member of a gang of Korean and Chinese thieves who team up to steal a diamond worth 40 billion won locked away in a casino in Macau. After joking that it was easier to immerse in the role and the kissing scenes because his partner was Jun Ji-hyun, Kim then continued to say that he was overwhelmed to be around so many big stars and felt lucky to be part of the film. With over 12.9 million ticket sales, the film became the second highest grossing movie in Korean film history.
2013: Secretly, Greatly
In 2013, Kim was cast along with Park Ki-woong and Lee Hyun-woo, to play the roles of North Korean spies who infiltrated South Korea as a village idiot, a rock musician, and a high school student, respectively in the movie Secretly, Greatly. The film is an adaptation of the popular webtoon series "Covertness" by Hun and upon its release broke several box office records in South Korea. The film was also one of the most successful box office hits of the year having sold out almost 7 million tickets during its run.
2014–present: My Love from the Star and international fame
From 2013 to early 2014, he was the lead actor of the SBS fantasy/romance series My Love from the Star. The drama talks about an alien Do Min-joon who landed on Earth during the Joseon Dynasty and 400 years later falls in love with Cheon Song-yi (his The Thieves co-star Jun Ji-hyun),a top Hallyu star. Throughout the series, Do Min-joon was seen using his super powers, such as the ability to stop time for a minute, teleportation, telekinesis and more, to protect Cheon Song-yi from the main antagonist.
The drama enjoyed immense popularity both locally, with an average viewer rating of 24.02 percent, and internationally, having over two billion hits on the Chinese streaming website iQiyi (爱奇艺), that Kim was not only considered as a Hallyu star but also a blue chip in the advertising industry. In 2014, Kim was reported to set a new record having 35 product endorsements deals, 15 of which were coming from South Korea alone.
For the latter half of the year, Kim was invited to perform at the opening ceremonies of two international sports events. Held on 16 August 2014, Kim along with Chinese pop stars Zhang Liangying and Zhang Jie, as well as Russian singer Molgun Galia, sang the official theme song "Dian Liang Wei Lai" (which means "Illuminate the Future") at the opening ceremony of the 2014 Summer Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing, China. The event was televised live through China’s state broadcaster CCTV and attended by several key dignitaries that include China’s President Xi Jinping, U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the International Olympic Committee’s honorary president Jacques Rogge. Similarly, on 19 September 2014, Kim participated in the opening ceremony of the 2014 Asian Games in Incheon, South Korea as well. He, alongside actor Jang Dong-gun, Korean opera singer Ahn Sook-sun and people from 45 nations, delivered the message of "one Asia" at the second part of the highlight stage. The event was also attended by several state dignitaries including South Korea's President Park Geun-hye and International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach.
|2007||Kimchi Cheese Smile||Kim Soo-hyun||MBC|
|2008||Jungle Fish||Han Jae-ta||KBS|
|2009||Seven Years of Love||Chun-jae||OBS|
|Will It Snow for Christmas?||teen Cha Kang-jin||SBS|
|Father's House||Kang Jae-il|
|2010||Giant||teen Lee Sung-mo||SBS|
|2011||Dream High||Song Sam-dong||KBS|
|2012||Moon Embracing the Sun||King Lee Hwon||MBC|
|Dream High 2||Song Sam-dong (cameo, episode 1)||KBS|
|2013–2014||My Love from the Star||Do Min-joon||SBS|
|2008||Cherry Blossom (short film)||Han Hyun-joon|
|2009||Worst Friends (short film)||Kim Joon-ki|
|2013||Secretly, Greatly||Won Ryu-hwan/Bang Dong-gu|
|2014||Miss Granny||young Mr. Park (cameo)|
|2013||Documentary Special: Director Bong Joon-ho||MBC|
|2008||The Taste of Life||KBS||Host||with Hyun Young, Jo Hye-ryun, Jung Ji-young,
Kim Shin-young, Boom and Lee Moo-song
|2009||Sonyeon Sonyeo Gayo Baekso||Mnet||Host||with KARA's Han Seung-yeon|
|2011||Happy Together 3||KBS||Guest||Episode 177 with Dream High casts|
|One Night TV Entertainment||SBS||Guest|
|Guest||Episode 234 with Jung Eun-pyo|
|One Night TV Entertainment||SBS||Guest||with The Thieves casts|
|Running Man||Guest||Episode 102|
|Star N the City||XTM||Guest||Soo-Su Couple in New Zealand
(Bean Pole Outdoor photoshoot with Suzy)
|2013||Entertainment Weekly||KBS||Guest||with Park Ki-woong and Lee Hyun-woo|
|Running Man||SBS||Guest||Episode 147 with Lee Hyun-woo|
||Guest||Episode 11 with Cecilia Cheung and Tao Ching-Ying|
|Bring You To The Stars||Guest||Episode 1|
|2003||A Midsummer Night's Dream||Puck|
|2007||A Broken Heart, Man & Woman||Guest|
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions||Album|
|2011||"Dream High (드림하이)"||23||—||Dream High: Original Sound Track|
(Commercial song recorded for his Spris spring ad along with Eun-jung)
|2012||"The One and Only You (그대 한 사람)"||2||2||Moon Embracing the Sun: Original Sound Track|
|"Another Way (또 다른 길)"||119||38||Another Way: Secret Version|
|"Marine Boy"||—||—||Non-album Single|
(Commercial song recorded for his Tous Les Jours winter ad)
|2014||"In Front of Your House (너의 집 앞)"||3||4||My Love from the Star: Original Sound Track|
|"—" denotes releases that were not released in that region|
On 28 April 2011, Kim and miss A’s Suzy were officially revealed to be the ambassadors of the "16th Goyang Korea Flower Show" in the Gyeonggi Province. The popular flower show was held at the Goyang Flower Exhibition Center at Ilsan Lake Park on April 29 with a participation of approximately 193 local and foreign companies from 20 countries and an exhibit of over 50 million flowers.
On 18 April 2012, the Korea Tourism Organization(KTO) appointed Kim as the Promotional Ambassador for Korean Tourism. According to KTO, "The appointment of Kim Soo-hyun – who has obtained popularity overseas through his dramas, will help strengthen the growth of travel to Korea."
On 19 May 2014, Kim along with Kwon Yuri, Choi Sooyoung and Park Shin-hye joined the 22nd class of CAU LOVE, the official student ambassadors of Chung-Ang University. For their 1-year term, the celebrity ambassadors will join the existing 12 members of CAU LOVE in various activities to better promote their university.
Awards and nominations
||New Star Award||Giant||Won|
||CF Model Award||N/A||Won|
||Best New Actor (TV)||Dream High||Nominated|
|Most Popular Actor (TV)||Nominated|
||Hot Male Drama Star||Nominated|
||Best New Actor||Won|
||New Icon Award||N/A||Won|
||Best Dresser Male Artist||N/A||Won|
||Best New Actor||Dream High||Won|
|Best Couple with Suzy||Won|
||Song of the Month (February) – Dreaming||Won|
||Best Actor (TV)||Moon Embracing the Sun||Won|
|Most Popular Actor (TV)||Nominated|
||20's Drama Star – Male||Won|
|20's Blue Carpet Popularity Award||N/A||Won|
||Outstanding Korean Actor||Moon Embracing the Sun||Nominated|
|People's Choice Award (Korea)||Nominated|
||Grand Prize (Daesang)||Nominated|
||Top 10 Style Icons||N/A||Nominated|
||Minister of Culture, Sports & Tourism Award||N/A||Won|
||Best New Actor||The Thieves||Nominated|
||Best New Actor||Nominated|
|Popular Star Award||Won|
||Excellence Award, Actor||Moon Embracing the Sun||Won|
|Best Drama OST – The One and Only You||Nominated|
||Grand Prize (Daesang)||Nominated|
|Top Excellence Award, Actor in a Miniseries||Won|
|Best Couple Award with Han Ga-in||Nominated|
|Best Couple Award with Jung Eun-pyo||Nominated|
||Model of the Year Award||N/A||Won|
||Most Popular Actor (Film)||The Thieves||Nominated|
||Most Popular Korean TV Artiste||N/A||Nominated|
||Top 10 Style Icons||N/A||Nominated|
||20's Movie Star – Male||Secretly, Greatly||Nominated|
||Men’s Fantasia Award||Won|
||Best New Actor||Won|
||Best New Actor (Film)||Won|
|Most Popular Actor (Film)||Won|
|Best Actor (TV)||My Love from the Star||Nominated|
|Most Popular Actor (TV)||Won|
||Most Popular Korean TV Artiste||N/A||Nominated|
||Outstanding Korean Actor||My Love from the Star||Won|
|People's Choice Award (Korea)||Won|
||Grand Prize (Daesang)||Won|
|Hallyu Hot Star Award||Won|
||Asia Star Award||N/A||Won|
||Top 10 Style Icons||N/A||Won|
||Best Actor in Asia||My Love from the Star||Won|
||Top Excellence Award, Actor in a Miniseries||Won|
|Hallyu Star Award||N/A||Won|
||Prime Minister Award||N/A||Won|
||People's Choice Hallyu Star||N/A||Won|
|People's Choice Actor||N/A||Won|
||Grand Prize (Daesang)||My Love from the Star||Nominated|
|Top Excellence Award, Actor in a Drama Special||Won|
|Netizen Popularity Award||Won|
|Chinese Netizen Popularity Award||Won|
|Top 10 Stars||Won|
|Best Couple Award with Jun Ji-hyun||Won|
||Global Best Actor in TV series||Won|
- K-Pop Stars Gear Up for Pope Francis' Visit with Papal Tributes. CNN. 14 August 2014.
- INTERVIEW: Actor Kim Soo-hyun – Part 1. 10Asia. 15 March 2011.
- INTERVIEW: Actor Kim Soo-hyun – Part 2. 10Asia. 15 March 2011.
- INTERVIEW: Actor Kim Soo-hyun – Part 1. 10Asia. 10 June 2013.
- INTERVIEW: Actor Kim Soo-hyun – Part 2. 10Asia. 10 June 2013.
- What Was Kim Soo Hyun Like as a Student?. Mwave. 27 March 2012.
- "Jungle Fish". The Peabody Awards. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- “Jungle Fish” Wins a Peabody. KBS World. 2 April 2009.
- Special re-edit of Park Bo-young and Kim Soo-hyun’s Jungle Fish. 20 Sept 2010.
- "Friends of the worst (Worst Friends)". Jeonju International Film Festival. Retrieved 29 June 2012.
- "제11회 미쟝센 단편영화제". Mise-en-scène Short Film Festival. Retrieved 29 June 2012.
- "Selected Bookshop – Your-Mind". Your-mind.com. Retrieved 29 June 2012.
- Drama special Father’s House brings in strong praise. Dramabeans. 3 Jan 2010.
- MY NAME IS: Kim Soo-hyun.10Asia. 12 January 2010.
- Kim Soo-hyun in SBS’s Giant. Dramabeans. 19 March 2010.
- Kim Soo Hyun and Kara’s Han Seung Yeon Co-MCs?. Mwave.08 Feb 2012.
- Kim Soo-hyun signs on as Dream High’s lead. Dramabeans. 26 October 2010.
- PREVIEW: KBS TV series "Dream High". 10Asia. 28 December 2010.
- Dream High’s Kim Soo-hyun Was Nervous Amongst Idols. Popseoul. 14 March 2011.
- Kim Soo-hyun to sing "Dream High" song on Mnet this week. 10Asia. 15 March 2011.
- Kim Soo-hyun to revisit ‘Dream High 2’. JoongAng Daily. 25 January 2012.
- King status no guarantee for love for Kim Soo-hyun. 10Asia. 2 January 2012.
- PREVIEW: MBC TV series "The Moon Bearing the Sun". 10Asia. 4 January 2012.
- "Moon" blows away competition, ratings hit 40 percent mark. 10Asia. 24 February 2012.
- Hit drama ends with record ratings. JoongAng Daily. 17 March 2012.
- 'The Moon That Embraces The Sun' breaks 40%, but will not be extended. 24 February 2012.
- Kim Soo-hyun sings on ‘Moon Embracing the Sun’ drama. JoongAng Daily. 12 March 2012.
- Kim Soo Hyun Sets Record by Shooting 17 CFs and Surpasses Kim Yuna’s Record. JoongAng Daily. 8 May 2012.
- Kim Soo-hyun becomes king of product endorsements. JoongAng Daily. 13 March 2012.
- Kim Soo-hyun’s win is hotly debated. JoongAng Daily. 28 April 202.
- Kim Soo-hyun joins cast of high-profile movie. 10Asia. 21 March 2011.
- ‘The Thieves’ all-star cast set to steal show. JoongAng Daily. 13 June 2012.
- Soohyun Kim “Easy to focus on kissing the actress”. JoongAng Daily. 14 June 2012.
- 2012 South Korea Yearly Box Office.Box Office Mojo.
- Kim Soo-hyun lands role of North Korean spy in new movie. 10Asia. 30 April 2012.
- Korean Box Office: SECRETLY GREATLY Not-so-Secret in Great Debut. Twitch Film. 9 June 2013.
- 'Secretly Greatly' Blazes Trail at Box Office by Tapping Teen Audience. The Chosun Ilbo. 10 June 2013.
- 2013 South Korea Yearly Box Office.Box Office Mojo.
- Kim Soo Hyun wins 'Male Rookie Award' at the 50th Dae Jong (Grand Bell) Film Awards.1 Nov 2013.
- Kim Soo-hyun named best new movie actor in Baeksang awards.The Korea Herald.27 May 2014.
- "Kim Soo-hyun, Jun Ji-hyun to Pair Up in New Drama". TenAsia. 16 August 2013.
- Korean TV Show Sparks Chicken and Beer Craze in China.The Wall Street Journal.26 February 2014.
- ‘You Who Came From the Stars’ Reaches Over 2 Billion Views in China.Mwave.8 April 2014.
- How Second Generations Hallyu Stars Are Different From The First.17 Feb 2014.
- Kim Soo Hyun Rewrites History with 35 Commercials to His Name.13 June 2014.
- Kim Soo-hyun to sing at Youth Olympics
- Kim Soo-hyun performs at Nanjing Youth Olympic Games opening ceremony.The Korea Herald.
- Hallyu stars to light up Asiad opening ceremony.The Korea Times.
- Asian Games open with spectacular show
- "Gaon Chart". Gaon Chart (in Korean). Retrieved 3 December 2010.
- "Korea K-Pop Hot 100". Billboard. Retrieved 13 March 2013.
- "March 31, 2012 Billboard K-Pop Hot 100". Korea K-Pop Hot 100 (in Korean). Retrieved 24 June 2014.
- "2AM tops the Billboard K-Pop Hot 100 charts with "I Wonder If You Hurt Like Me"". Koreaboo.com (in Korean). Retrieved 24 June 2014.
- "Kim Soo Hyun Billboard Chart History". Billboard Hot 100 (in Korean). Retrieved 24 June 2014.
- Kim Soo Hyun teams up with Clinique for charity. Koreanaddict. 30 May 2011.
- Shin Min Ah and Kim Soo Hyun for SKT 4G LTE.20 September 2011.
- Kim Soo Hyun Renews Contract with Bean Pole Outdoor. 29 January 2013.
- Kim Soo Hyun makes a donation to protect animals.19 November 2012.
- Kim Soo Hyun models for sports brand Prospecs W. DKPopNews. 28 February 2012.
- Kim Soo Hyun Chosen as Dessert Brand "Petitzel" ModelSoompi. 6 March 2012.
- Kim Soo Hyun & Park Tae Hwan Endorse Samsung Series 9 Notebook. Dramahaven. 13 March 2012.
- Kim Soo Hyun and actress Kaya Scodelario promote J.ESTINA. 6 May 2012.
- Lovable Kim Soo Hyun captures fans’ hearts with a new ‘Pigeon’ CF. Ohkpop. 22 August 2012.
- Kim Soo Hyun snags another CF deal with Samsung. Allkpop. 31 May 2012.
- Kim Soo Hyun endorses VIPS restaurant. Hellokpop. 21 July 2012.
- Kim Soo Hyun Renews Contract with Clothing Brand ZioZia. Soompi. 10 July 2013.
- Kim Soo Hyun and Angelababy to Model for Samsonite Red 2014. Soompi.9 December 2013.
- Kim Soo Hyun Becomes First Male Model for LEMONA. BNT News. 24 February 2014.
- Kim Soo-hyun is the new model for The FaceShop. The Star Online. 11 April 2014.
- Kim Soo Hyun Of ‘My Love from Star’ welcomes you to his Museum. The Centrio Times. 26 March 2014.
- Kim Soo Hyun Chosen As The Endorser For Coca Cola China. JpopAsia. 28 March 2014.
- "Hyundai Motor unveils small SUV concept for China, to launch this year". Reuters. Retrieved 20 April 2014.
- "Kim Soo Hyun visited China as a model for footwear company Aokang". TenAsia. Retrieved 23 May 2014.
- Kim Soo Hyun scored endorsement deal for Tencent, Aokang Shoes in China. The Centrio Times. 22 May 2014.
- Kim Soo-hyun, Tang Wei to partner up for ad. The Korea Herald. 27 May 2014.
- Chungho Nais develops world's first water purifying coffeemaker. 24 July 2014.
- Dream High's Kim Soo Hyun and Suzy appointed as ambassadors of "The 16th Goyang Korea Flower Show". 29 April 2011.
- Kim Soo-hyun elected tourism ambassador. 17 April 2012.
- Kim Soo Hyun – The New Face of Korea Tourism Organization. 30 April 2012.
- Kim Soo-hyun is new face of Korea. JoongAng Daily. 19 April 2012.
- Four Celebrities Joins Official CAU Student Ambassador CAU LOVE. 26 May 2014.
- Kim Soo-hyun becomes honorary ambassador of Seoul. 9 October 2014.
- '서울 알리미' 김수현 "의미있는 시간 될 것" 벅찬 소감. 25 October 2014.
- Mnet releases nominees for "Mnet Summer Break 20's Choice Awards". Koreaboo. 17 June 2011.
- 베스트 드레서상 받은 문채원·김수현. Joins MSN. 12 December 2011.
- 日 <스카파! 어워드 2011> 방송계 화제의 인물 '다 모였네'. JPNews. 10 October 2011.
- "Kim Soo-hyun wins Paeksang awards". Korea Times. 27 April 2012.
- "20′s Choice Awards: Who Won at the 20’s Choice Awards?". enewsWorld. 28 June 2012.
- "Winners At The 5th Korea Drama Awards". Manila Bulletin. 5 October 2012.
- "Polls Open for the 2012 Style Icon Awards". 27 September 2012.
- "2012 Korean Popular Culture & Art Awards Recipients + Performances". 23 November 2012.
- "'K-Drama Star Awards' winners + Kim Hyung Jun shares his feelings on winning". 9 December 2012.
- "2012 German Remarkable Korean Awards Winner". 22 December 2012.
- Kim Soo Hyun wins ‘Model of the Year Award’ at the TVCF Advertising Award 2012. Allkpop. 30 January 2013.
- PiFan Opens Its Doors for 10 Days of Fantastic Film. Korean Film News. 19 July 2013.
- "Kim Soo-hyun, Jun Ji-hyun of My Love from Star dominates Baeksang Awards". The Centrio Times. 27 May 2014.
- Singapore Entertainment Awards Results. 24 April 2014.
- "Kim Soo-hyun wins 2 prizes at Seoul Drama Awards". The Korea Herald. 4 September 2014.
- "Kim Soo Hyun receives his daesang from the 2014 Korea Drama Awards in tears". Daily Kpop News. 1 October 2014.
- "'아시아의' 김수현·최민식, 아시아스타어워즈 수상". Naver. 4 October 2014.
- "Kim Soo Hyun Wins Best Actor in Asia at ′Tokyo Drama Awards′". Mwave. 23 October 2014.
- "Kim Soo-hyun, Jun Ji-hyun compete for SBS grand prize". asiaone. 30 December 2014.
- "2014 SBS Drama Awards". Dramabeans. 31 December 2014.
- "Kim Soo Hyun China Popularity award (SBS/Sohu)". 31 December 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kim Soo-hyun .|