Long Valley, New Jersey
|Long Valley, New Jersey|
The Zion Lutheran Church in the center of Long Valley.
|Nickname(s): The valley|
Map of Long Valley CDP in Morris County. Inset: Location of Morris County in New Jersey.
|• Total||4.623 sq mi (11.974 km2)|
|• Land||4.566 sq mi (11.825 km2)|
|• Water||0.057 sq mi (0.148 km2) 1.24%|
|Elevation||554 ft (169 m)|
|Population (Census 2010)|
|• Density||411.5/sq mi (158.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||Eastern (EDT) (UTC-4)|
|Area code(s)||908 - Exchange: 876|
|GNIS feature ID||02390090|
Long Valley is a census-designated place (CDP) and unincorporated community located within Washington Township, in Morris County, New Jersey, United States. Known as German Valley since its foundation during the colonial era, the community was renamed in response to anti-German sentiment during World War I. As of the 2010 United States Census, the CDP's population was 1,879.
Long Valley is located at United States Census Bureau, the CDP had a total area of 4.623 square miles (11.974 km2), of which, 4.566 square miles (11.825 km2) of it is land and 0.057 square miles (0.148 km2) of it (1.24%) is water.(40.78225,-74.776936). According to the
There are several bodies of water, including several man-made lakes used for agriculture and a portion of the Raritan River that are not reflected in the calculation of water area. Much of Long Valley is part of Schooley's Mountain, a tall ridge that contrasts greatly with the rest of the region.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Long Valley has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
1990-2010 2000 2010
At the 2010 United States Census, there were 1,879 people, 675 households, and 533.9 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 411.5 per square mile (158.9/km2). There were 709 housing units at an average density of 155.3 per square mile (60.0/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 94.73% (1,780) White, 0.53% (10) Black or African American, 0.00% (0) Native American, 1.81% (34) Asian, 0.00% (0) Pacific Islander, 1.33% (25) from other races, and 1.60% (30) from two or more races. Hispanics or Latinos of any race were 5.32% (100) of the population.
There were 675 households, of which 37.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 65.8% were married couples living together, 9.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 20.9% were non-families. 15.6% of all households were made up of individuals, and 6.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.77 and the average family size was 3.10.
In the CDP, 25.8% of the population were under the age of 18, 5.9% from 18 to 24, 21.0% from 25 to 44, 34.0% from 45 to 64, and 13.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43.8 years. For every 100 females there were 97.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.5 males.
As of the 2000 United States Census there were 1,818 people, 654 households, and 502 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 148.7/km2 (385.4/mi2). There were 674 housing units at an average density of 55.1/km2 (142.9/mi2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 97.36% White, 0.66% African American, 0.22% Native American, 0.94% Asian, 0.28% from other races, and 0.55% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.27% of the population.
There were 654 households out of which 36.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 67.0% were married couples living together, 7.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.1% were non-families. 16.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.75 and the average family size was 3.15.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 25.3% under the age of 18, 5.1% from 18 to 24, 33.3% from 25 to 44, 27.3% from 45 to 64, and 8.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 101.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.8 males.
The median income for a household was $97,763, and the median income for a family was $104,926. Males had a median income of $76,791 versus $41,759 for females. The per capita income was $37,489. About 1.8% of families and 2.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.0% of those under age 18 and 4.0% of those age 65 or over.
People who were born in, residents of, or otherwise closely associated with Long Valley include:
- Gazetteer of New Jersey Places, United States Census Bureau. Accessed June 13, 2013.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Long Valley Census Designated Place, Geographic Names Information System. Accessed December 23, 2012.
- DP-1 - Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data for Long Valley CDP, New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed December 23, 2012.
- Look Up a ZIP Code for Long Valley, NJ, United States Postal Service. Accessed June 4, 2012.
- American FactFinder, United States Census Bureau. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- US Board on Geographic Names, United States Geological Survey. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- GCT-PH1 - Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place from the 2010 Census Summary File 1 for Morris County, New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed December 23, 2012.
- 2006-2010 American Community Survey Geography for New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed December 23, 2012.
- New Jersey: 2010 - Population and Housing Unit Counts - 2010 Census of Population and Housing (CPH-2-32), United States Census Bureau, August 2012. Accessed December 23, 2012.
- Historical Records, Washington Township. Accessed December 17, 2007.
- US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990, United States Census Bureau. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- Climate Summary for Long Valley, New Jersey
- DP-1 - Profile of General Demographic Characteristics: 2000 from the Census 2000 Summary File 1 (SF 1) 100-Percent Data for Long Valley CDP, New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed December 23, 2012.
- Staff. "MORRIS HISTORY INCLUDES RICH, FAMOUS", Daily Record (Morristown), June 23, 2002. Accessed June 4, 2012. "Film and stage actress Celeste Holm still owns an 18th-century farmhouse in Long Valley that has been in her family for three generations."
- Koestenblatt, Jason. "'Jersey' Mike Rossi Aims For Gold in 2014 OlympicsLong Valley teen on fast track to world competition.", LongValleyPatch, June 14, 2011. Accessed January 22, 2014.
- Washington Township website
- Washington Township Schools website
- West Morris Central High School Website
- Long Valley Village Association website
- Long Valley Life website
- Long Valley Historical Society Website