Saifuddin during a visit to Udaipur as state guest
|Born||23 Ramadan 1365 AH
20 August 1946
|Occupation||Claimant of 53rd Da'i al-Mutlaq of the Dawoodi Bohras|
|Spouse(s)||Jawharat-u-Sharaf Bai Saheba daughter of Late Syedi Yusuf Najmuddin|
|Children||Three sons: Jafar us Sadiq Bhai Saheb, Taha Bhai Saheb, Husain Bhai Saheb and two daughters|
|Parents||Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin(52nd Da'i al-Mutlaq of the Dawoodi Bohras) and Amatullah Aaisaheba|
Mufaddal Saifuddin (Arabic: مفضل سيف الدين; Abu Jafar-us-Sadiq Mufaddal Saifuddin) is the claimant of 53rd Da'i al-Mutlaq of the Dawoodi Bohras. There are various reports that Mufaddal has taken over the administration as 53rd Dai and all the media refers him as 53rd Dai. Most of Bohras sweared allegance to Mufaddal Saifuddin. The Dawoodi Bohras are a sub group within the Mustaali, Ismaili Shia branch of Islam. Mufaddal Saifuddin is also one of the four Omara (Rectors) of Al Jamea tus Saifiyah.
Saifuddin was born on 23 Ramadan 1365 AH (20 August 1946 CE), on the night of Laylat al-Qadr in Surat, Gujarat. As a child, during the era of Syedna Taher Saifuddin, he began the recitation of the Quran in Saifee Villa, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
Mufaddal Saifuddin was made Amirul Hajj[clarification needed] in 1390 AH (1970 CE). After hajj, he travelled to Karbala, Shaam, Misr and Yemen. During his trip to Yemen, he laid the foundations for the construction of Syedna Hatim's Roza.[clarification needed] After that journey Syedna Mohammad Burhanuddin entitled him with Aqeeq-ul-Yemen.[clarification needed]
Awards and accomplishments
- Name Aaliqadr Mufaddal (Arabic: عالي قدر مفضل) by Syedna Taher Saifuddin given at birth in 1365 AH (1946 CE).
- Laqab of Saifuddin given on 27 Zilqaa’dil Haraam[clarification needed] 1385 AH on the milaad (birthday anniversary) of Syedna Taher Saifuddin.
- Title of Seqato Daawate Taiyebiyah given on 27 Zilqaa’dil Haraam[clarification needed] 1385 H on the Milaad (Birthday Anniversary) of Syedna Taher Saifuddin.
- Title of Aqeeq-ul-Yemen by Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin given in 1391 AH (1971 CE) on his return from Yemen.
Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin conferred Nass on Aaliqadr Mufaddal Saifuddin on 3 Rajab 1432 AH (4 June 2011 CE) in London in front of six witness. Then on 19 Rajab 1432 AH (20 June 2011 CE) nass was again made public witnessed by thousands of people in Raudat Tahera.
It was also told by Shezada Qaid Johar bhaisaheb and Shezada Malek-ul-Ashtar (after 3 Rajab 1432 AH/4 June 2011 CE) that Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin (in 1426 AH/ 2005 CE) had already revealed them that Mufaddal Saifuddin were his successor and also told them that not to disclose that unless the right time comes or after his death. There is written proof of Nass in diary of year 1388 AH detailed below make the succession explicit ally clear.
Indian Union Foreign Minister Salman Khurshid on 28 Rabi' al-thani 1435 AH (28 February 2014 CE) arrived to offer condolences to Mufaddal Saifuddin at his residence Saifee Mahal, Mumbai. It is reported that he presented a letter of good wishes from Indian Congress President Sonia Gandhi as Syedna left for his first trip abroad, to Iraq, after accession to the office of Da'i al-Mutlaq. The Minister then accompanied Syedna to the airport. As per Dawoodi Bohra this is honour given by Indian government to Dawoodi Bohra head for his first trip abroad and it is official acceptance of the post.
Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin suffered a stroke in a London hospital in 2011, after which Mufaddal Saifuddin was proclaimed as the successor in a London Hospital followed by a ceremony in Mumbai, while the Syedna was still recovering. It was reported that at home the Dawoodi Bohra community welcomed the name of Mufaddal as a successor.
There are photocopies of the diary written by Ibrahim Al-Yamani attributing certain passages to Syedna Mohammad Burhanuddin, reviewed(added Abdul Qadir) and concluded by Muhammad Burhanuddin himself in his writing regarding nass:
"Date 11th, a Tuesday eve in the month of Zilqadatil Haraam 1388AH... "I am giving consideration to the investiture of the mansoos after me – thereby freeing my heart (of this). This night I am conferring nass upon the apple of my eye, my radiant, beloved son, Mufaddal Bhai Saifuddin...
I keep you as witnesses: Al-Shaikh Ibrahim, Al-Shaikh Abdulhusain Tambawala, Abdulhusain al-Shaikh Ibrahim Abdulqadir. This matter shall remain secret until it is revealed at its time...
In January 2014 late Syedna passed away, Mufaddal Saifuddin led the last rituals in which hundreds of thousands Bohras joined.
However, Muffadal Saifuddin's succession has not been accepted by Khuzaima Qutbuddin, who claimed the title of the 53rd Dā'ī l-Muṭlaq of the Dawoodi Bohras. Khuzaima Qutbuddin claims that Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin performed nass on him 49 years ago, a ritual during which he appointed him as his successor in private. He never claimed to be the successor of Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin during last three years (after/when Mufaddal Saifuddin was publicly declared as successor by Syedna Mohammed Burhanddin) and he had accepted Mufaddal Saifuddin as the successor of Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin. But after the death of Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin he now claims that the succession was not done in London as Mohammad Burhanuddin suffered from a full stroke at the age of 100 that made it difficult for him to write, speak, or move. Khuzaima Qutbuddin approached the former Chief Justice of India, AM Ahmadi. (Both may not be knowing about written Nass stated above as it was kept secret till then). He in his personal stand, upheld the validity of Khuzaima Qutbuddin as the rightful successor.
"Qutbuddin's family had shared certain historical documents with me, some of which are written in Arabic, in which historical facts about the community and the events since the nass (choosing the successor) conferred by Syedna Burhanuddin on Syedna Qutbuddin in 1965 have been recorded. I examined the documents and believe that Syedna Qutbuddin's stand of the 53rd Dai is principled,"—Ahmadi, The former Chief Justice of India
The video of the succession (nuss) ceremony is available. The original video was uploaded on Youtube by Khuzaima Qutbuddin but was later removed due to copyright issue. In the same video uploaded, at exactly (26:53 to 26:57), followers of Mufaddal Saifuddin claim that Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin says "Mufaddal Bhai ne Nass nu Taaj". Khuzaima Qubuddin refutes that statement, and claims that Syedna Burhanuddin did not perform the Nass publicly.
As per followers of Mufaddal Saifuddin, written proof of diary of year 1388 AH (1968 CE) with witnesses and signature of Mohammad Burhanuddin makes Nass of him absolutely un doubtful. The claim that 'Mohammad Burhanuddin suffered from a full stroke at the age of 100 that made it difficult for him to write, speak, or move' and justification provided by former Indian CJI on 1965 Nass above becomes null and void as diary incident was after 1965 CE and before the stroke incident, and make Nass of Mufaddal explicitly clear.
Tens of thousands followers of Mufaddal Saifuddin, gathered at a public ground in Mumbai to endorse their solidarity and offer their condolences to their new spiritual leader Mufaddal Saifuddin. Their official representative alleges that wrongful claim by Khuzaima has aggrieved and has caused pain to Dawoodi Bohra around the world, as they have witnessed the 52nd Da'i al-Mutlaq publicly conferring – Nass (investiture) in 2011 in Mumbai, and had also explicitly reaffirmed it on many occasions since several years.
Followers of Mufaddal Saifuddin stage a peace march and protest half brother's claim. in many cities. Many Dignitaries met with Mufaddal Saifuddin and offered condolence. The World Muslim Congress also offers condolence in Press release.
Bohras who refuse to accept Muffadal allege harassment, social boycott and threat of divorce. The 'Central Board of Dawoodi Bohra Community' which represent Progressive Dawoodi Bohra, a minority Bohra group alleges that both claims are not reliable and involves dispute over control of wealth.
- Mugdha Variyar (31 January 2014). "Dawoodi Bohra succession issue: former chief justice pledges allegiance to Syedna's uncle". Hindustan Times.
- "Succession Fight". Retrieved 5 March 2014.
- Rizwan Mawani (30 January 2014). "The Intricacies of Succession: Two Claimants Emerge for Dawoodi Bohra Leadership". Huffington Post. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- "The Last Glimpse | Prachi Pinglay-Plumber". Outlookindia.com. Retrieved 2014-03-01.
- Times of India Pune
- Times of india Bhopal
- Name *. "Syedna Aali Qadr Mufaddal Saifuddin - Free Press Journal". Freepressjournal.in. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- "Bohras make anti-Syedna faction’s ex-communication official, stick by Mufaddal Saifuddin | Latest News & Updates at". Dnaindia.com. 2014-01-31. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- "Profile of Syedna Mufaddal Saifuddin". GulfNews.com. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- Vinaya Deshpande (2014-01-18). "Dawoodi Bohra community’s spiritual head passes away". The Hindu. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- "Recovering from double tragedy, Bohras welcome a new leader - The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2014-01-20. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- "Times of India : Dawoodi Bohras expresssolidarity with Dai-al-Mutlaq". Allnews.in. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- Gulshan-e-Ma'alumaat Birth Date Article
- "Profile of Syedna Mufaddal Saifuddin". GulfNews.com. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- DNA - Successor to Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin named
- by syednaqutbuddinfollower (2014-02-28). "Reason #63: Q & A (Part 1) | 53 Reasons NOT To Believe Khuzaima Qutbuddin". Believesyednaqutbuddin.com. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- "Union Foreign Minister Salman Khurshid". Afternoondc.in. Retrieved 2014-03-03.
- "A perilous transition". Mumbai Mirror. 2014-01-24. Retrieved 2014-03-03.
- Dawoodi Bohras welcome nomination of successor
- "Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin (ra) Nass diary entry 1388AH by Miyasaheb Shaikh Ibrahim al-Yamani; a rendering in English | mumineen.org". Akhbar.mumineen.org. 2013-01-24. Retrieved 2014-03-01.
- Reason #34: Doubt Cannot Undermine Conviction (website of registered international Dawoodi Bohra Magazine)
- "Dawat-e-Hadiyah Website Administered by the Office of Khuzaima Qutbuddin, Leader of the Dawoodi Bohra Community". Fatemi Dawat. Retrieved 2014-03-01.
- "Who is new Syedna? Trouble brews as half-brother stakes claim". The Indian Express. 6 February 2014. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- "Echoes of Past Fitnats in Our Zaman -53 Reasons NOT To Believe Khuzaima Qutbuddin".
- http://tune.pk/video/1935471/Raudat-Tahera-19-Rajab-1432H. Missing or empty
- "YouTube". YouTube. Retrieved 2014-03-03.
- "Analysis of Nass Video on Khuzaima Qutbuddin's Website". Retrieved 2014-03-03.
- "50k Dawoodi Bohras gather at Azad Maidan". Afternoondc.in. 2014-01-31. Retrieved 2014-03-01.
- Times of India Surat
- [File:Http://news.oneindia.in/mumbai/modi-meets-newly-appointed-religious-head-of-dawoodi-bohra-community-1384292-pg1.html%7Cthumbnail%7CNarendra Modi]
- World Muslim Congress Press Release
- "Bohras who refuse to denounce Qutbuddin face boycott, threats". Mumbai Mirror. 2014-02-19. Retrieved 2014-03-03.
- "Bohras who refuse to denounce Qutbuddin face boycott threats - Pune Mirror,Pune Mirror". Punemirror.in. 2014-02-19. Retrieved 2014-03-07.