Huntington-Whiteley at The Covino and Rich Show, June 2011
|Born||Rosie Alice Huntington-Whiteley
18 April 1987
Plymouth, Devon, England, UK
|Partner(s)||Jason Statham (2010–present)|
|Height||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|Hair colour||Dark Blonde|
|Dress size||32 (EU), 2 (US), 6 (UK)|
|Manager||Elite New York City|
Rosie Alice Huntington-Whiteley (born 18 April 1987) is an English model and actress. She is best known for her work for lingerie retailer Victoria's Secret and Burberry, and also for her role as Carly Spencer in the 2011 film Transformers: Dark of the Moon, the third installment in the Transformers film series.
Early life and family
Huntington-Whiteley was born at the Freedom Fields Hospital, in Plymouth, Devon. Her mother, Fiona (née Jackson), is a fitness instructor, and her father, Charles Andrew Huntington-Whiteley, is a chartered surveyor. Her paternal great-grandfather, Eric Huntington-Whiteley, was from a known English political family, and was the son of politician Sir Herbert Huntington-Whiteley, 1st Baronet; Eric married Rosie's great-grandmother, Enid Kohn, who was from a family of Polish Jews who emigrated to Britain in the 1870s. Rosie's paternal grandmother, Gillian, who was also from a Jewish family, was the daughter of Jacob Franks, a prominent surgeon in Sussex.
Huntington-Whiteley grew up on a farm near Tavistock, Devon. Educated at Tavistock College, she later stated that she was bullied and teased at school for having a double-barrelled name, small breasts and full lips.
Whilst a 15 year old student, she undertook work experience at West End, London-based model agency Profile, before taking her GCSEs. Signed after graduating in summer 2003 aged 16, her first modelling session was for a Levi's jeans commercial. She got her first big break in January 2004 when she travelled to New York for a shoot with Teen Vogue. She later made her catwalk debut alongside Naomi Campbell in New York in Spring 2004, and was then photographed by Bruce Weber for Abercrombie & Fitch.
In early 2006, she was tipped to be "the next Kate Moss" by fashion experts, picked as one of five international models to look out for in the following 12 months. She was signed that year to American lingerie brand Victoria's Secret, making her debut for the brand at the brand's 2006 show in Los Angeles.
Huntington-Whiteley remained unknown outside the fashion industry up until 2008, when she was cast by chief creative director Christopher Bailey, replacing Agyness Deyn for Burberry's autumn/winter campaign with actor Sam Riley. She got her first British Vogue cover on the November 2008 issue, alongside Eden Clark and Jourdan Dunn in a feature celebrating British models. The following year, she was featured as the face of Karen Millen's spring/summer 2009 advertising campaign. Huntington-Whiteley received an Elle Style Award for 2009's "Model of the Year". She starred in a short film for Agent Provocateur playing a woman whose boyfriend forgets Valentine's Day. For fall/winter 2009, she modelled campaigns for Godiva and Miss Sixty. In February 2010, Huntington-Whiteley officially became a Victoria's Secret Angel, modelling for the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show in New York City.
In 2010, she posed nude for the Pirelli Calendar, which was photographed by Terry Richardson. Huntington-Whiteley hit the runway for designers Prada in Milan and Giles Deacon in Paris. For SS10 her advertising campaigns included Monsoon's first underwear line, Thomas Wylde, Full Circle, and VS Online. In March, she collaborated with VOGUE.COM to share her outfit choices daily for the Today I'm Wearing feature. She appeared on the covers of the May 2010 issues of Harper's Bazaar Russia and GQ UK. She was featured on the cover of LOVE Magazine's September issue, styled as a pinup girl. For FW10 she modelled for Burberry as well as the company's first Beauty line ad; her other advertising campaigns included Loewe, Thomas Wylde, and Leon Max. Fashion photographer Rankin devoted a book entirely to her entitled Ten Times Rosie. Rankin thinks Huntington-Whiteley puts diversity back into fashion: "We’ve been looking at very, very skinny, almost masculine girls for a long time. [Rosie] really is the model of the moment. She’s the actress of the moment. She’s definitely going to become something much, much bigger." Celebrity make-up artist Ruby Hammer, who has worked with Huntington-Whiteley for years, described her as the "quintessential" English rose.
In March 2011, she landed her first solo British Vogue cover. In May, she was voted No. 1 in Maxim Magazine's "Hot 100" list. She was also voted No.1 in FHM's World's Sexiest Woman 2011 poll. She appeared on the covers of the UK's July issues of Elle and GQ.
In 2012, Huntington-Whiteley was named the top style icon at the Elle Style Awards.
In May 2010, it was announced that Huntington-Whiteley would become the new female lead in Transformers: Dark of the Moon, released 29 June 2011, replacing Megan Fox. She had previously worked with the film's director, Michael Bay, on a Victoria's Secret commercial. MTV Networks' NextMovie.com named her one of the "Breakout Stars to Watch for in 2011". Prior to the film's release, she won the "Female Star of Tomorrow" award at the 2011 CinemaCon Awards. Critics were highly critical of the acting of Huntington-Whiteley and co-star Shia LaBeouf. Peter Travers stated the two "couldn't be duller". Jason Solomons of The Observer wrote that "we're first introduced to Rosie via a close-up of her bum, segueing straight from the film's opening sequence and titles on to the pert buttocks and underwear of our heroine", and that Huntington-Whiteley's English posh girl accent "renders her practically unintelligible when surrounded by American accents and falling masonry". Much of the criticism towards Rosie Huntington-Whiteley compared her in an unfavorable light to Megan Fox. Lou Lumenick said that her "'acting' makes...Megan Fox look like Meryl Streep in comparison". Baz Bamigboye gave his review of the film the title 'Come back Megan Fox, all is forgiven...'. In a positive review, Drew McWeeny of HitFix said, "She reminds me of Cameron Diaz in The Mask, an actress who doesn't really show off any range, but who gives a natural, winning performance and who is up to the challenge of this particular picture."
Huntington-Whiteley dated Tyrone Wood, the youngest son of Rolling Stones member Ronnie Wood, from August 2007 until October 2009. After she and Wood separated, Huntington-Whiteley was briefly involved with French actor Olivier Martinez. By April 2010, her new relationship with English actor Jason Statham became public after Statham and Huntington-Whiteley attended the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival together and were subsequently photographed after a shopping trip to Cartier of Beverly Hills.
|2011||Transformers: Dark of the Moon||Carly Spencer|
|2015||Mad Max: Fury Road||Splendid||Post-production|
|2011||Spike Guys' Choice Award - Our New Girlfriend||Won|
|2011||CinemaCon Award Female Star of Tomorrow||Transformers: Dark of the Moon||Won|
|2011||Teen Choice Award for Choice Summer Movie Star – Female||Transformers: Dark of the Moon||Nominated|
|2011||Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Supporting Actress||Transformers: Dark of the Moon||Nominated|
|2011||Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Screen Couple (shared with Shia LaBeouf)||Transformers: Dark of the Moon||Nominated|
|2011||Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Ensemble (shared with cast)||Transformers: Dark of the Moon||Nominated|
- Mills, Simon (25 May 2011). "When GQ met Rosie". GQ. Retrieved 8 June 2011.
- "Model Rosie Huntington-Whiteley To Replace Megan Fox In". MTV. 26 May 2010. Retrieved 26 May 2010.
- Fulton, Rick (17 June 2011). "Rosie Huntington Whiteley: I may be the world's sexiest woman, but i didn't get this body by accident". Daily Record. Retrieved 29 June 2011.
- The Times, 22 April 1987
- Joseph, Claudia; Trump, Simon. "Did Rosie Huntington-Whiteley get her looks from Royalty? No, a bootmaker called Stump", Daily Mail, 16 January 2010. Retrieved 26 May 2010.
- Debrett's peerage and baronetage. Kelly's Directories. 1976. p. 2129.
- Gillian HUNTINGTON-WHITELEY Obituary
- Alexander, Ella (31 May 2011). "Lippy Girls". Vogue UK. Retrieved 8 June 2011.
- "I'm the luckiest girl". This is Plymouth. 26 July 2008. Retrieved 12 November 2013.
- "Fashion: Rosie Huntington". New York. Retrieved 27 October 2011.
- Lim, James (7 July 2008). "Meet the New Girl: Rosie Huntington". New York Magazine. Retrieved 30 April 2011.
- "Burberry’s New Deyn-less Fall Ads". New York Magazine. 27 June 2008. Retrieved 30 April 2011.
- Millen, Karen (22 January 2009). "Rosie fronts new campaign". karenmillen.com. Retrieved 30 April 2011.
- Gilbert, Laurelle. The inside scoop from the Elle Style Awards 2009, Elle UK, 10 February 2009. Retrieved 26 May 2010.
- "Rosie Huntington Whiteley Advertising".
- Ings-Chambers, Edwina (20 December 2009). "Rosie Huntington-Whiteley: Let's get saucy". The Sunday Times (UK). Retrieved 30 April 2011.
- Kay, Nathan, "Kylie's ex and the double barrelled Victoria's Secret model", Daily Mail, 3 January 2010. Retrieved 26 May 2010.
- Odell, Amy (25 February 2010). "The Prada Show Was All About Boobs". New York Magazine. Retrieved 30 April 2011.
- Odell, Amy (4 March 2010). "Highlights From Giles: Victoria’s Secret Models and a Bag With Eyes". New York Magazine. Retrieved 30 April 2011.
- Bull, Sarah, "Rosie Huntington-Whiteley unveiled as new face and body of Monsoon lingerie", Daily Mail, 7 April 2010. Retrieved 26 May 2010.
- "Rosie Huntington-Whiteley – Magazine Covers".
- Vilensky, Mike (2 August 2010). "Rosie Huntington-Whiteley Plays a Hot Pinup Girl on Love’s September Cover". New York Magazine. Retrieved 30 April 2011.
- Jacoby, Rachel (8 July 2010). "Burberry Beauty’s First Ad Campaign Revealed". In Style. Retrieved 5 June 2011.
- Forrester, Sharon, "Burberry Beauty", Vogue, 23 April 2010. Retrieved 26 May 2010.
- Hutchinson, Kate (22 September 2010). "To Rosie Huntington-Whitely, Missing Her Book Party Is Like Missing the Oscars". New York Magazine. Retrieved 30 April 2011.
- Amazon.com-Ten Times Rosie
- Lesley-Ann Jones (7 September 2010) "Rosie Huntington-Whiteley: Is Model Nice Girl Rosie's Transformation Complete?",Daily Express, Retrieved 23 August 2011
- Milligan, Lauren (1 February 2011). "March On". Vogue UK. Retrieved 30 April 2011.
- "2011 Hot 100" 3 May 2011. Maxim
- "2011 Sexiest Women In The World" 5 May 2011, FHM's 100 Sexiest Women in the World 2011 FHM
- Bergin, Olivia (26 May 2011). "Rosie Huntington-Whiteley: ‘I was told I had to get into better shape’". The Telegraph. Retrieved 5 June 2011.
- "Sample Burberry's new Body scent via Facebook", The Telegraph, Retrieved 23 August 2011
- "Rosie Huntington-Whiteley as the face of Burberry Body fragrance", InStyle.co.uk. Retrieved 23 August 2011
- "The Money Girls". Retrieved July 2011.
- "Top Sexiest Models". Retrieved July 2011.
- "On the Set: Michael Bay Prepares the New Model 'Transformers'", 1 May 2011, Michael Bay web site
- Evry, Max (5 January 2011). "25 Breakout Stars to Watch for in 2011". Next Movie. Retrieved 10 April 2011.
- Cantor, Paul (1 April 2011). "Rosie Huntington-Whiteley Wins "Female Star of Tomorrow" At CinemaCon". Complex. Retrieved 5 June 2011.
- Travers, Peter (29 June 2011). "Transformers: Dark of the Moon". Rolling Stone. Wenner Media. Retrieved 4 July 2011.
- Solomons, Jason (2 July 2011). "Transformers: Dark of the Moon – review". The Observer. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- Lumenick, Lou (29 June 2011). "Total bomb!". New York Post. News Corporation. Retrieved 4 July 2011.
- Bamigboye, Baz (27 June 2011). "Come back Megan Fox, all is forgiven...". Daily Mail. Retrieved 4 July 2011.
- Review: 'Transformers: Dark Of The Moon' wraps up with the best of the franchise
- Nicholl, Katie, Rocker Ronnie Wood's boy no longer has that Rosie Huntington-Whiteley glow, Daily Mail, 14 November 2009. Retrieved 26 May 2010.
- "It must be love! Smitten Jason Statham takes Rosie Huntington-Whiteley to Cartier". Daily Mail (London). 21 April 2010.
- "Huntington-Whiteley 'Transformers' role revealed".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rosie Huntington-Whiteley.|
- Rosie Huntington-Whiteley at the Fashion Model Directory
- Rosie Huntington-Whiteley at the Internet Movie Database
- Rosie Huntington-Whiteley @ Elite New York City