Lima in 2010
|Born||Adriana Francesca Lima
June 12, 1981
Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
|Spouse(s)||Marko Jarić (m. 2009–14)|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Dress size||4 (US); 8 (UK)|
|Shoe size||9 (US); 6½ (UK)|
|Manager||The Society Management|
Adriana Lima (Brazilian Portuguese: [adɾiˈãnɐ frɐ̃ˈseska ˈlimɐ]; born June 12, 1981) is a Brazilian model and actress who is best known as a Victoria's Secret Angel since 2000, and as a spokesmodel for Maybelline cosmetics from 2003 to 2009. At the age of 15, Lima finished first in Ford's "Supermodel of Brazil" competition, and took second place the following year in the Ford "Supermodel of the World" competition before signing with Elite Model Management in New York City. In 2012, she came in 4th on the Forbes top-earning models list, estimated to have earned $7.3 million in one year. In 2013, she came in 3rd place and in 2014 she came in 2nd place with earnings of $8 million.
Adriana Lima was born on June 12, 1981 in Salvador, Bahia, Brazil. Lima is of Japanese, Swiss, Native American, and African heritage; she acknowledges her ethnic backgrounds and considers herself Afro-Brazilian.
Lima never thought about being a model, although she had won many beauty pageants in elementary school. However, she had a friend at school who wanted to enter a modeling contest and did not want to enter alone, so Lima entered with her. Both sent in pictures, and the contest sponsor soon asked Lima to come out for the competition. Soon after, at the age of 15, she entered and finished in first place in Ford's "Supermodel of Brazil" model search. She subsequently entered the 1996 Ford "Supermodel of the World" contest and finished in second place. Three years later, Lima moved to New York City and signed with Elite Model Management. After acquiring representation, Lima's modeling portfolio quickly began to expand, and she appeared in numerous international editions of Vogue and Marie Claire. As a runway model, she has walked the catwalks for designers such as Vera Wang, Giorgio Armani and Valentino, among others. Lima became a GUESS? girl in 2000, appearing in that year's fall ad campaign. She also appeared in the book A Second Decade of Guess? Images.
Lima continued to build upon her portfolio, doing more print work for Maybelline, for whom she worked as a spokesmodel from 2003 until 2009, the same year she appeared in the company's first calendar. She did an ad campaign for Swatch Lima has also worked for notable fashion brands bebe, Armani, Versace, BCBG and Louis Vuitton. She also appeared on the covers and in the editorials of other fashion magazines such as Harper's Bazaar, ELLE, GQ, Arena, Vogue, V, Esquire and French Revue des Modes. Her April 2006 GQ cover was the highest-selling issue that magazine for the year. It is also one of the biggest selling issues of the publication ever. The magazine named her "The World's Most Voluptuous Virgin".
In 2008, she again fronted the cover of GQ, this time, attracting a record number of visits to the publication's website. She also appeared in the 2005 Pirelli Calendar and became the face of Italy's cell phone carrier, Telecom Italia Mobile, a move that earned her the nickname, "the Catherine Zeta-Jones of Italy."
In February 2008, Lima was featured on the cover of Esquire, re-creating the classic 1966 Angie Dickinson cover on Esquire's 75th anniversary. She appeared only in shoes, diamonds and gloves for the November 2007 issue of Vanity Fair celebrating 20 years of supermodels with her fellow Angels. In February 2008, she was chosen to be the face of Mexico's Liverpool department store chain and launched the partnership with a press conference, runway show, and summer campaign. Lima returned to the high fashion runway in 2009, walking for Givenchy. That same year, after visiting Turkey, Lima signed a contract with Doritos to appear in print campaigns and commercials which began airing in Turkey that April. She was also one of the faces of Givenchy for the Fall/Winter 2009 season. Lima is one of the two faces of Blumarine's Fall/Winter 2011 season.
In 2011, Lima signed a deal as a spokeswoman for Megacity by Votsu, a Brazilian social gaming company, to appear in their commercials. She also became the face of Brazilian luxury brand, Forum for their F/W and S/S seasons. Lima has worked with the most established photographers in fashion such as Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matidin, Vincent Peters, Mario Sorrenti, Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott David Sims and Mario Testino. She became the face of Donna Karan's spring 2012 advertising campaign, which was accused of having racist undertones due to a photo featuring Lima posing in front of huddled local Haitians.
In early 2012, Turkish clothing company Mavi Jeans, made a contract with Lima to be the face and spokesmodel for the brand. In the first quarter of 2012, her advertisement campaign increased sales to 50%, the highest increase in products sales. It also provided 20% increase in stores and online traffic. Furthermore, her television commercial which was watched by 28 million people became a trending topic at Twitter and the number of people now on Mavi's facebook page have increased by 20%. Store officials at Mavi say the clothing Lima wore in the ad campaigns were met with so much demand that, they ran out of stock. Due to her success rate with the company, the European and Russian branch of Mavi decided to make her the global face of the brand.
Lima was photographed by artist Richard Phillips on the famed Copacabana sidewalk in Brazil for Visionaire no. 62 which was released in mid-2012. Lima is the subject of a painting by Phillips at Gagosian Gallery's 24th Street Gallery in New York.
In an interview, Phillips talks about Lima: "She's so powerful,really an entity, in a way". Then added: "You meet her and there's a generosity of spirit and very friendly and easy manner, and then all of sudden, the lights go on, and you realize you're working with this absolutely extraordinary person who's capable of creating these powerful images."
She is – for the second time – featured in the Pirelli calendar by setting a record of being the first pregnant woman to be ever featured in the calendar for the 2013 edition.
Lima is probably best known for her work with Victoria's Secret. Her first fashion show for the company came in 1999, and since being contracted as an Angel in 2000, she has appeared on subsequent shows ever since, opening the show in 2003, 2007, 2008, and 2010. In 2012, she opened the show for the 5th time less than two months after giving birth to her second child. In 2004, she was part of the five Angels promoting Victoria's Secret nationwide in the so-called "Angels Across America"-Tour alongside Tyra Banks, Heidi Klum, Gisele Bündchen and Alessandra Ambrosio. She missed the 2009 show due to her pregnancy. Lima has appeared on several television ads for the brand, including the praised and criticized "Angel in Venice" commercial of 2003 with Bob Dylan. 2008 continued for Lima with hosting the What Is Sexy? program for the E! Entertainment Network and a July tour for the BioFit Uplift Bra launch. She was also featured in November's Miracle Bra relaunch. Topping the year off, Lima wore the "Fantasy Bra" for the 2008 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show. The bra, created by American jewelry designer Martin Katz, was set with 3,575 black diamonds, 117 certified 1 carat (200 mg) white round diamonds, 34 rubies, and two black diamond drops totaling 100 carats (20 g). Valued at over $5 million, the bra carried more than 1,500 carats (300 g). In 2010, she again wore the Fantasy Bra, called the Victoria's Secret Bombshell Fantasy Bra. The bra which weighs in at 142 carats with 60 carats of white diamonds and 82 carats of topazes and sapphires is worth 2 million dollars.
Super Bowl ads
Lima's 2008 solo Victoria's Secret's Super Bowl XLII ad was the single most-seen ad of the game, watched by 103.7 million viewers. In February 2012, Lima became the only celebrity to ever star in two Super Bowl commercials in one game. She starred in Super Bowl XLVI commercials for online flower service Teleflora and Kia Motors in early 2012 which was watched by more than 200 million viewers. Her Kia Motors Super Bowl commercial – promoting the new Kia Optima – sent sales to their highest mark since the design debuted. Sales were up 31% from January 2012 and 138.6% from February 2012. The commercial was also voted No.3 out of the 55 commercials on USA TODAY and Facebook's Super Bowl Ad Meter. A teaser of the commercial was released in movie theaters in January before the game. It is believed to be the first time a Super Bowl commercial premiered in movie theaters.
Forbes named her Teleflora commercial as one of the best during Super Bowl XLVI, with the comment, "Teleflora ... Adriana Lima. 'Nuff said". Among the many reviews the commercial had, The Huffington Post said: "One of the basic goals of any commercial is to capture the viewer's attention, and by this measure, Teleflora.com's ad featuring supermodel Adriana Lima was most definitely successful." ESPN.com noted: "This actually makes sense when you think about it: Launch your Valentine's Day campaign in the middle of the Super Bowl. That's actually what flower company Teleflora is doing on Sunday. Even smarter? Hire supermodel Adriana Lima to star in it."
Lima's first acting role was the wife, alongside Mickey Rourke and Forest Whitaker, in The Follow (2001), a short film in BMW's series The Hire, starring Clive Owen and directed by Wong Kar-wai. She also appeared with her fellow Angels in a guest spot playing herself in the series How I Met Your Mother in November 2007. She also recently played herself along with fellow Angels in the new 2013 series The Crazy Ones starring Robin Williams and Sarah Michelle Geller, she wore the replica of 2014 "Fantasy Bra" in that episode.
Lima was listed in the 2005 Forbes' edition of The World's Best-Paid Celebrities Under 25. She ranked ninety-nine in the 2005 and 2006 Forbes' edition of The Celebrity 100 lists. In 2012, she was listed in Forbes Celebrity 100 power list for earning more than 7 million between May 2011 and May 2012. In 2012, she ranked number eight in forbes' "The World's Most Powerful Latino Celebrities" list for earning more than 7 million dollars.
Lima was chosen to be a part of People magazine's 100 most beautiful people in the world list, sharing that space with the Angels, with whom she also received a star on the Hollywood "Walk of Fame" prior to the 2007 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show. That same year, she ranked 7th on FHMs "100 Sexiest Women 2007" list.
Lima was also voted on Maxim's "Hot 100" 2007 at the No.53 spot. She was voted No.1 as the Most Desirable Woman in 2005 by visitors of the men's lifestyle website Askmen.com and placed 4th in 2006 and 2007, 10th in 2008, and 19th in 2009. She received the award for "Hottest Girl on the Planet" in the 2007 Spike Guys' Choice Awards. Since November 2008, Models.com has featured her at number one on the list of the "Sexiest Models." As of July 2011, she is also ranked No. 4 in the website's "Money Girls" list. The website also lists her on "the Supers" list. The list, which has only 8 supermodels, is about supermodels that transcend the boundaries of the fashion industry and have public recognition in and out of fashion. In 2010, she was voted eighth in "FHM's Sexiest Women in the World". FHM ranked her at No. 6 in 2009, No. 21 in 2008 and No. 4 in 2007.
In 2010, Lima was ranked No. 46 on the 50 most popular women on the Web according to Google search results. A results from a market research study in 2011 about the UEFA Champions League released by Heineken showed that 52% of men would rather watch their team lift the Champions League trophy than go on a date with Lima. McAfee ranked Lima as the 6th most "dangerous" celebrity in cyberspace in 2010. The ranking, relating to the use of the names of popular celebrities to lure people to websites that are laden with malicious software, ranked Lima number eight in 2011. Complex (magazine) ranks her 4th in the list of "The 100 Hottest Supermodels of All Time".
In a 2011 interview with The Daily Telegraph, prior to the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show, Lima revealed her diet regimen – nine days before the show, she drinks only protein shakes: "No liquids at all so you dry out, sometimes you can lose up to eight pounds just from that," she says. She also stated that the last three weeks before the show, she works out twice a day. The interview got negative reviews on the media and was mentioned in CNN's Anderson Cooper's "Ridiculist". Shortly afterwards, Lima defended herself in an interview with E!, "I know it's very intense but ... I just have an athlete's mind and I appreciate doing this thing," she said. "It's not that I do crazy diets throughout the year. I just do it for this particular thing. After this show, I become normal again."
The Adriana Lima diet became so popular that it eventually became one of the top five most searched diets on the web in 2012 according to Google. Other celebrities on the list are Beyonce and Michael Phelps.
Lima does charitable work helping with an orphanage, "Caminhos da Luz" (Ways of Light), located in Salvador. She helps with construction to expand the orphanage, and buys clothes for poor children in Salvador, Bahia. She appeared on Var mısın? Yok musun?, the Turkish version of Deal or No Deal, where her prize money went to a hospital in Istanbul for children fighting leukemia.
Lima is a devout Roman Catholic who attends mass every Sunday. In April 2006, she told GQ that she was a virgin. "Sex is for after marriage," she said. "[Men] have to respect that this is my choice. If there's no respect, that means they don't want me."
After nine months of dating, Lima became engaged to Serbian NBA player Marko Jarić in June 2008. The couple married on St. Valentine's Day 2009 in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. In May 2009, it was reported that Lima had applied for Serbian citizenship. The couple have two daughters: Valentina Lima Jarić (Serbian Cyrillic: Валентина Лима Јарић, born November 15, 2009) and Sienna (Serbian Cyrillic: Сијена Лима Јарић, born September 12, 2012). On May 2, 2014, Lima and Jaric announced their separation after five years of marriage.
- Adriana Lima Profile in the FMD database. Retrieved 2007-06-23.
- "The Society Management - Adriana Lima". Retrieved 2013-07-15.
- "Adriana Lima" (click "Women", then "Adriana Lima"). Marilyn Model Agency. Retrieved 2009-04-22.
- Solomon, Brian (June 14, 2012). "The World's Highest Paid Models". Forbes.com (Forbes.com LLC). Retrieved 2012-06-20.
- "10 Celebs you didn't know that have black heritage". Suggest. 2014. Retrieved 2014-08-19.
- "Adriana Lima: rica, linda e poderosa". Correio da Bahia (December 8, 2008).
- "Adriana Lima". Maybelline. Archive as of 2008-01-15, via archive.org.
- Mod-TV video 1:02–1:09
- Mod-TV video 0:51–1:04
- '+relative_time(twitters[i].created_at)+'. "Swatch". Adriana Lima Fan.net. Retrieved 2012-07-07.
- Forbes Top Fifteen Models Forbes. Retrieved 2007-06-16.
- "MODELS.com's Top Sexiest Models - 5-1". Models.com. August 12, 2011. Retrieved 2012-10-25.
- "Adriana Lima's new title is "the world's most voluptuous virgin" (Vogue.com UK)". Vogue. UK. March 16, 2006. Retrieved 2012-10-25.
- Forbes Top Fifteen Models. Retrieved 2007-06-16.
- Top 100 Celebrities 2006 Forbes. July 26, 2007.
- ''Forbes'' Top-Earning Models Profile Forbes. April 30, 2008. Retrieved 2011-08-10.
- "Adriana Lima". AskMen. December 31, 1969. Retrieved 2012-10-25.
- "Adriana Lima, Forbes Top Celebrities", Forbes. Retrieved 2007-05-21.
- Vanity Fair[dead link]
- "Model Adriana Lima arrives to Liverpool Santa Fe to attend Fashion... | 80077473". WireImage. February 29, 2008. Retrieved 2012-10-25.
- StyleFrizz. Retrieved 2009-03-19
- "Adriana Lima Doritos Commercial 3". YouTube. October 17, 2011. Retrieved 2012-10-25.
- Givenchy fw09. Models.com. Retrieved 2011-08-10.
- Models.com. Accessed 2011-08-10. Models.com.
- "MegaCity – Comercial estrelado pela supermodelo Adriana Lima!" Video on YouTube (in Portuguese)
- Profile at Celeb Net Worth
- "Adriana Lima - Model Profile - Photos & latest news". Models.com. Retrieved 2012-10-25.
- Jessica Misener (December 15, 2011). Adriana Lima Donna Karan Ads For Spring 2012: Are They Misguided?. Huffington Post. Retrieved 2012-06-19.
- "Google Translate". Google. May 20, 2012. Retrieved 2012-07-07.
- "Google Translate". Google. Retrieved 2012-07-07.
- First Look: Visionaire 62 Rio | Made in Brazil. Madeinbrazilblog.com.
- Timeline Photos. Facebook.
- First Looks: Artist Richard Phillips Talks Adriana Lima and Lindsay Lohan - The Cut. New York. (October 20, 2012).
- Desigual blog: Adriana Lima for Desigual in the 080 Barcelona Fashion
- Style Bistro: Bar Refaeli Struts the Runway for Desigual at Barcelona Fashion Week
- Solomon, Brian (August 18, 2014). Forbes.com "Forbes - The World's Highest-Paid Models Of 2014: Adriana Lima". Forbes.com LLC. Retrieved 2014-08-26.
- "Adriana Lima: Victoria's Secret's Angel and Her Style Evolution from 2001 to 2011 [PHOTOS]". International Business Times. Retrieved 2012-10-25.
- Twitter / ELLEmagazine: A caped @AdrianaLima opens. Twitter.com.
- Adriana Lima Wows at Victoria's Secret Show Two Months After Giving Birth | Fox News Latino. Latino.foxnews.com (November 8, 2012).
- Victoria Secrets has made some of these Super Models Really Rich. thereallyrich.com. Retrieved 2012-04-11.
- 2009 Victoria's Secret Fashion Showfashion-style.becomegorgeous.com. Retrieved 2012-04-11.
- Dylan appearing in Victoria's Secret ad. Retrieved 2007-09-19.
- 'Lovesick' and Attired. Retrieved 2007-09-19.
- Pink, Stuart (December 5, 2008). "Lima's hotness is no Miracle". Sun (London). Retrieved October 25, 2012.
- "Brazilian beauty Adriana Lima shows off her killer curves in Victoria's Secret's Miracle Bra". Daily Mail (London). December 4, 2008. Retrieved October 25, 2012.
- "Victoria's Secret unveils 2008 'Fantasy Bra'" "National Jeweler", October 20, 2008.
- "EXCLUSIVE: Watch Adriana Lima Show Off Victoria's Secret $2 Million Bra" February 10, 2010, People
- Close Super Bowl puts even more eyes on late-airing ads. Retrieved 2008-08-07.
- Super Bowl ads: Super model Adriana Lima in demand. Latimesblogs.latimes.com (February 3, 2012).
- Model Adriana Lima Stars in Two Super Hot Super Bowl Commercials. The Hollywood Reporter. (February 6, 2012).
- By Cars.com (July 3, 2012). "Did Super Bowl XLVI Ads Impact Car Sales? - Kicking Tires". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2012-07-07.
- "Obama needs a Brazilian supermodel". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved 2012-07-07.
- "2012 USA TODAY Facebook Super Bowl Ad Meter: Rate the ads". USA Today. February 5, 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-25.
- "USA TODAY Facebook Super Bowl Ad Meter Scores" February 8, 2012
- (January 20, 2012). "Kia Motors USA to premiere Super Bowl ad in theaters". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2012-10-25.
- Patrick Rishe (April 18, 2012). "The Winners and Losers of Super Bowl Commercials in 2012". Forbes. Retrieved 2012-10-25.
- Greenberg, Chris (February 6, 2012). "Adriana Lima Teleflora.Com Super Bowl Commercial: Sexy Ad Stirs Controversy (VIDEO)". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2012-10-25.
- "From The Bark Side to Bueller, a look at 2012's Super Bowl commercials - ESPN". ESPN. February 1, 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-25.
- Bridget Daly (September 5, 2008). Adriana Lima to join cast of Ugly Betty tv.hollyscoop.com. Retrieved 2010-10-10.
- The World's Best-Paid Celebrities Under 25. MSN. Retrieved 2010-10-10.
- Lea Goldman; Kiri Blakely (June 15, 2006). The Celebrity 100. Forbes. Retrieved 2010-10-10.
- Celebrity 100 List at Forbe]
- "The World's Most Powerful Latino Celebraties May 25, 2012, Forbes
- "USA: Victoria's Secret"angels"honored with a star on the Hollywood walk of fame Video - Adriana Lima Videos". Starpulse.com. Retrieved 2012-10-25.
- No.7 Adriana Lima and No.6 Jessica Biel – 100 Sexiest Women 2007", FHM. Retrieved 2007-05-21.
- "AskMen.com - Press Releases". Ca.askmen.com. January 31, 2008. Retrieved 2012-10-25.
- "Press Releases". AskMen.com. Retrieved 2012-10-25.
- Spike Guys' Choice Awards
- "No.1 Sexiest model". Models.com. Retrieved 2011-08-10.
- Money Girls List Models.com
- MODELS.com's The Supers. Models.com.
- FHM Ranking. FHM.com. Retrieved 2010-08-10.
- Adriana Lima. fhm.com. Retrieved 2011-08-10.
- The 50 Most Popular Women on the Web According to Google search results" April 15, 2010, COED Magavine
- "Heidi Klum Named Most Dangerous Celebrity in Cyberspace" mcafee.com
- The 100 Hottest Supermodels of All Time. Complex.
- Whitworth, Melissa (November 7, 2011). "Victoria's Secret show: What does it take to be a Victoria's Secret Angel? - Telegraph". The Daily Telegraph (London). Retrieved 2012-10-25.
- Fenner, Justin (November 11, 2011). "Anderson Cooper | Adriana Lima's Diet | The Ridiculist". Styleite. Retrieved 2012-10-25.
- Hammel, Sara. "Victoria's Secret Fashion Show: Adriana Lima Extreme Diet". People. Retrieved 2012-10-25.
- "The Most Popular Diets Of 2012 (According To Google)". Time. December 12, 2012.
- Adriana helping her charity. Superiorpics.com. Retrieved 2011-08-10.
- Adriana on deal or no deal"[dead link]
- "Adriana Lima: Our favorite ... virgin?" GQ (April 2006).
- "Tom Cruise Proposes to Katie Holmes; Angelina Jolie's Personal Life Full of Drama; Picks and Pans of New Movies". Showbiz Tonight. (June 17, 2005).
- Alexander, Bryan (June 13, 2008). "Supermodel Adriana Lima Engaged to Basketball Star". People. Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- Odell, Amy (February 24, 2009) "Adriana Lima Got Married". New York Magazine.
- Wihlborg, Ulrica (February 29, 2009). "Supermodel Adriana Lima Elopes!" People.
- "Adrijana Lima želi državljanstvo Srbije". Radio-televizjia Srbije. May 27, 2009
- Triggs, Charlotte (May 5, 2010). "First Photo: Meet Adriana Lima's Daughter Valentina!" People.
- "Adriana Lima Gives Birth to Daughter Sienna!". Us Weekly. September 12, 2012.
- Lee, Esther (May 2, 2014). "Adriana Lima Splits From Husband Marko Jaric After 5 Years of Marriage: Supermodel Announces Separation From Former NBA Player". Us Weekly.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Adriana Lima.|
- Official website
- Adriana Lima at the Internet Movie Database
- Adriana Lima at the Fashion Model Directory
- Adriana Lima at Models.com