Sleaford and North Hykeham (UK Parliament constituency)
|Sleaford and North Hykeham|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Sleaford and North Hykeham in Lincolnshire.
Location of Lincolnshire within England.
|Electorate||85,561 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Sleaford, North Hykeham|
|Member of parliament||Stephen Phillips (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Grantham, Lincoln|
|European Parliament constituency||East Midlands|
The constituency covers the towns of Sleaford and North Hykeham and an area of rural Lincolnshire. The constituency's boundaries roughly correspond to those of North Kesteven local government district. In their formative proposals for 1997, the Boundary Commission for England proposed calling the new constituency Mid Lincolnshire, however the name was changed to its current form during the local inquiry process. The inclusion of North Hykeham in the constituency title was criticised by author and psephologist Robert Waller in 1995 on the grounds that North Hykeham was effectively an overspill area of Lincoln City, however not its actual inclusion, as its local government authority has long been in common with the villages to the south in this seat and wholly separate from the city.
Following a Boundary Commission review in 2001, the constituency boundaries with its neighbouring Lincoln borough constituency and Grantham and Stamford county constituency were changed for the 2010 general election.
The seat comprises electoral wards:
- Ashby de la Launde, Bassingham, Billinghay, Branston and Mere, Brant Broughton, Cliff Villages, Cranwell and Byards Leap, Eagle and North Scarle, Heckington Rural, Heighington and Washingborough, Kyme, Leasingham and Roxholm, Martin, Metheringham, North Hykeham Forum, North Hykeham Memorial, North Hykeham Mill, North Hykeham Moor, North Hykeham Witham, Osbournby, Ruskington, Sleaford Castle, Sleaford Holdingham, Sleaford Mareham, Sleaford Navigation, Sleaford Quarrington, Sleaford Westholme, Waddington West in the North Kesteven District; and
- Barrowby, Ermine, Heath, Loveden, Peascliffe, Saxonwell and Witham, and Valley in the South Kesteven District
Members of Parliament
|1997||Douglas Hogg PC QC||Conservative|
|2010||Stephen Phillips QC||Conservative|
Douglas Hogg, was immediately before 1997 the MP for the former seat of Grantham from 1979 who stood down at the 2010 general election due to controversy over his expenses claims.
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: Sleaford and North Hykeham|
|Liberal Democrat||Matthew Holden|
|Lincolnshire Independents||Marianne Overton|
|General Election 2010: Sleaford and North Hykeham|
|Conservative||Stephen Phillips QC||30,719||51.6||+1.0|
|Liberal Democrat||David Harding Price||10,814||18.2||+0.1|
|Lincolnshire Independents||Marianne Overton ||3,806||6.4||+6.4|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: Sleaford and North Hykeham|
|Liberal Democrat||David Harding-Price||9,710||18.2||+2.0|
|General Election 2001: Sleaford and North Hykeham|
|Liberal Democrat||Robert Arbon||7,894||16.2||+1.0|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: Sleaford and North Hykeham|
|Liberal Democrat||John Marriott||8,063||15.2||N/A|
|Referendum Party||P. Clery||2,942||5.5||N/A|
|Independent Conservative||R. Overton||578||1.1||N/A|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Boundary Commission for England, Fourth Periodic Report, Lincolnshire section, 1995
- Almanac of British Politics (fifth edition), Sleaford and North Hykeham constituency section, 1995
- 2010 post-revision map non-metropolitan areas and unitary authorities of England
- "Final Recommendations for Parliamentary Constituency Boundaries in the County of Lincolnshire" (PDF). Boundary Commission for England. 14 November 2001. Archived from the original on 21 February 2010. Retrieved 12 December 2010.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "S" (part 3)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "UK > England > East Midlands > Sleaford & North Hykeham". Election 2010. BBC. 7 May 2010. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- "Four-way election race to be Hogg's successor". Lincolnshire Echo. Lincoln, United Kingdom. 15 March 2010. Retrieved 16 March 2010.