Derby North (UK Parliament constituency)
|for the House of Commons|
Boundary of Derby North in Derbyshire for the 2010 general election.
Location of Derbyshire within England.
|Electorate||72,617 (December 2010)|
|Member of Parliament||Chris Williamson (Labour)|
|Number of members||One|
|European Parliament constituency||East Midlands|
Many constituencies changed in the 2008 review and for the 2010 general election the constituency boundaries changed quite significantly which made the seat less of a Labour Party safe seat based on council results for wards.
Currently Derby North constituency is made up of seven electoral wards of the City of Derby; Abbey, Chaddesden, Darley, Derwent, Littleover, Mackworth, and Mickleover.
Constituency profile 
The constituency covers a largely residential area immediately north of Derby city centre, including some of the city’s most affluent suburbs, as well as much of its council housing and former council housing in private ownership which are of mixed incomes.
A relatively close seat for two largest parties since 1950, Derby North has been held by Labour Party's Clifford Wilcock, Niall MacDermot then Phillip Whitehead[n 3]. In the 1979 election, it was covered by the BBC as the bellwether seat as the 41st of the 41 seats that Margaret Thatcher needed to win; in that year it stayed Labour, with an exit poll on the seat being a center piece of the election-night coverage.
Labour's Bob Laxton defeated Knight in 1997 and held the seat until retiring in 2010, when the seat was held for Labour by Chris Williamson.
Members of Parliament 
|1962 by-election||Niall MacDermot||Labour|
Prospective Candidates for the 2015 General Election 
|General Election 2015: Derby North|
Elections in the 2010s 
|General Election 2010: Derby North|
|Liberal Democrat||Lucy Care||12,638||28.0||+11.6|
Elections in the 2000s 
|General Election 2005: Derby North|
|Liberal Democrat||Jeremy Beckett||7,209||16.5||+2.4|
|General Election 2001: Derby North|
|Liberal Democrat||Robert Charlesworth||6,206||14.1||+5.1|
Elections in the 1990s 
|General Election 1997: Derby North|
|Liberal Democrat||Robert Charlesworth||5,059||9.0||−0.6|
|Referendum Party||P. Reynolds||1,816||3.2||N/A|
|ProLife Alliance||J. Waters||195||0.3||N/A|
|Labour gain from Conservative||Swing||13.2|
|General Election 1992: Derby North|
|Liberal Democrat||Robert Charlesworth||5,638||9.6||−3.8|
|National Front||Peter Hart||245||0.4||N/A|
|Natural Law||N. Onley||58||0.1||N/A|
Elections in the 1980s 
|General Election 1987: Derby North|
|SDP–Liberal Alliance||S.F. Connolly||7,268||13.4||−6.1|
|General Election 1983: Derby North|
|SDP–Liberal Alliance||S.F. Connolly||9,924||19.5||+10.0|
|Conservative gain from Labour||Swing|
Elections in the 1970s 
|General Election 1979: Derby North|
|National Front||C. Bayliss||592||0.9||N/A|
|United English National||S.P. Gibson||116||0.2||N/A|
|General Election October 1974: Derby North|
|More Prosperous Britain||H. Smith||242||0.4||N/A|
|General Election February 1974: Derby North|
|General Election 1970: Derby North|
Elections in the 1960s 
|General Election 1966: Derby North|
|General Election 1964: Derby North|
|Derby North by-election, April 17, 1962|
Elections in the 1950s 
|General Election 1959: Derby North|
|Labour||Clifford A.B. Wilcock||22,673||52.8||−3.0|
|General Election 1955: Derby North|
|Labour||Clifford A.B. Wilcock||24,162||55.8||+0.6|
|General Election 1950: Derby North|
|Labour||Clifford A.B. Wilcock||22,410||55.2||N/A|
See also 
Notes and References 
- A borough constituency (for the purposes of election expenses and type of returning officer)
- As with all constituencies, the constituency elects one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post system of election at least every five years.
- Later an MEP
- Deputy chief whip from 1993 to 1996 and Minister for Industry from 1996 to 1997.
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Derby.gov.uk local election results 2010
- 2001 census statistics Derby 001 etc SOAs occupation, housing and income
- Page 516, When the Lights Went Out: Britain in the Seventies by Andy Beckett
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "D" (part 1)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "General Election Results For Derby North". Derby City Liberal Democrats. Retrieved Jan 26, 2009.
- "Election history". The Guardian newspaper. Retrieved Jan 28, 2009.
- "UK General Election results: April 1992". Richard Kimber. Retrieved Jan 28, 2009.
- "UK General Election results: June 1987". Richard Kimber. Retrieved Jan 28, 2009.
- "UK General Election results: June 1983". Richard Kimber. Retrieved Jan 28, 2009.
- "UK General Election results: May 1979". Richard Kimber. Retrieved Jan 28, 2009.
- "UK General Election results: October 1974". Richard Kimber. Retrieved Jan 28, 2009.
- "UK General Election results: February 1974". Richard Kimber. Retrieved Jan 28, 2009.
- "UK General Election results: 1970". Richard Kimber. Retrieved Jan 29, 2009.
- "UK General Election results: March 1966". Richard Kimber. Retrieved Jan 29, 2009.
- "UK General Election results: October 1964". Richard Kimber. Retrieved Jan 29, 2009.
- "1962 By Election Results". www.geocities.com/by_elections/. Archived from the original on 2009-10-24. Retrieved Jan 29, 2009.
- "UK General Election results: October 1959". Richard Kimber. Retrieved Jan 29, 2009.
- "UK General Election results: May 1955". Richard Kimber. Retrieved Jan 29, 2009.
- "UK General Election results: February 1950". Richard Kimber. Retrieved Jan 29, 2009.