13th arrondissement of Paris
|13th arrondissement of Paris|
|French municipal arrondissement|
Paris and its closest suburbs
|• Mayor||Jérôme Coumet|
|• Total||7.15 km2 (2.76 sq mi)|
|Population (8 March 1999 census)[p]|
|• Estimate (2005)||181,300|
|• Density||24,000/km2 (62,000/sq mi)|
|^[p] Population sans doubles comptes: single count of residents of multiple communes (e.g. students and military personnel).|
Situated on the Left Bank of the River Seine, it is home to Paris's main Chinatown, which is located in the southeast of the arrondissement in an area that contains many high-rise apartment buildings. The current mayor is Jérôme Coumet (Socialist), who was re-elected by the arrondissement council on 29 March 2008 after the list which he headed gained 70% of the votes cast in the second round of the French municipal elections, 2008.
The 13th arrondissement is still growing in population, mainly because of an influx of Asian immigrants. In the 1980s, ethnic Chinese refugees from the former French colony of French Indochina (modern-day Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos) settled there. Teochew, Cantonese, Vietnamese and Khmer are spoken by many residents in the community.
At the last census in 1999, the population was 171,533. The 13th arrondissement is also rapidly growing in business activity, thanks to the new business district of Paris Rive Gauche. In 1999, the arrondissement contained 89,316 jobs, and it is believed to contain more today.
(of French censuses)
(inh. per km2)
|2009 (peak of population)||182,032||25,459|
The 13th arondissement is home to the engineering graduate school, Arts et Métiers ParisTech. The teaching and learning center is settled at the number 151.
Places of interest
- Paris's main Chinatown, also locally called la petite Asie ("Little Asia"), is located in the high rise buildings of this arrondissement. The following can be found in this area:
- Bibliothèque nationale de France
- Pitié-Salpêtrière Hospital
- Gare d'Austerlitz
- Gobelins manufactory
- University of Chicago Center in Paris
- 6 Villa des Gobelins - residence of Hồ Chí Minh from July 1919 to July 1921
Streets and squares include
City hall in the 13th arrondissement
McDonald's in the 13th arrondissement's Chinatown
Chinese New Year celebrations in the 13th arrondissement
- "Address book." Accor. Retrieved on 19 March 2012. "Executive Management Immeuble Odyssey 110 avenue de France 75210 Paris cedex 13 France" and "Accor 2, rue de la Mare-Neuve 91021 Evry Cedex France"
- "Legal information." Accor. Retrieved on 19 March 2012. "[...]having its registered office at 110 Avenue de France - 75013 PARIS" and "with its Group Corporate Communications & External Relations is located at: Immeuble Odyssey, 110 avenue de France, 75013 Paris, France."
- "World Presence France." Ubisoft. Retrieved on 20 August 2011. "Business office Austerlitz 2000 173-179 rue du Chevaleret 75646 Paris Cedex 13 "
- 13th arrondissement travel guide from Wikivoyage