From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the year 1474.
|Centuries:||14th century – 15th century – 16th century|
|Decades:||1440s 1450s 1460s – 1470s – 1480s 1490s 1500s|
|Years:||1471 1472 1473 – 1474 – 1475 1476 1477|
|1474 by topic|
|Arts and science|
|Architecture - Art|
|State leaders - Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births - Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments - Disestablishments|
|Art and literature|
|1474 in poetry|
|Ab urbe condita||2227|
|English Regnal year||13 Edw. 4 – 14 Edw. 4|
|Chinese calendar||癸巳年 (Water Snake)
4170 or 4110
— to —
甲午年 (Wood Horse)
4171 or 4111
|- Vikram Samvat||1530–1531|
|- Shaka Samvat||1396–1397|
|- Kali Yuga||4575–4576|
|Japanese calendar||Bunmei 6
|Minguo calendar||438 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||2016–2017|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1474.|
- February – The Treaty of Utrecht puts an end to the Anglo-Hanseatic War.
- March 19 – The Senate of the Republic of Venice enacts the Venetian Patent Statute, one of the earliest patent systems in the world. New and inventive devices, once put into practice, have to be communicated to the Republic to obtain the right to prevent others from using them. This is considered the first modern patent system.
- December 12 – Upon the death of Henry IV of Castile, a civil war ensues between his designated successor Isabella I of Castile and her niece Juana, who is supported by her husband, Afonso V of Portugal. Isabella wins the civil war after a lengthy struggle when her husband, Ferdinand II of Aragon, the newly crowned king of Aragon, comes to her aid.
- January 7 – Thihathura II of Ava (d. 1501)
- March 1 – Angela Merici, Italian religious leader and saint (d. 1540)
- May 18 – Isabella d'Este, Marquise of Mantua (d. 1539)
- September 8 – Ludovico Ariosto, Italian poet (d. 1533)
- October 7 – Bernhard III, Margrave of Baden-Baden (d. 1536)
- October 13 – Mariotto Albertinelli, High Renaissance Italian painter of the Florentine school (d. 1515)
- October 26 – Frederick of Saxony (d. 1510)
- December 24 – Bartolomeo degli Organi, Italian musician (d. 1539)
- date unknown
- August 26 – James III of Cyprus (b. 1473)
- November – William Canynge, English merchant (b. c. 1399)
- November 27 – Guillaume Dufay, Flemish composer (b. 1397)
- December 11 – King Henry IV of Castile (b. 1425)
- date unknown
- Ladas, Stephen Pericles (1975). Patents, Trademarks, and Related Rights: National and International Protection, Volume 1. Harvard University Press. pp. 6–7. ISBN 9780674657755.
- Schippel, Helmut (2001). "Die Anfänge des Erfinderschutzes in Venedig". In Lindgren, Uta (Hrsg.). Europäische Technik im Mittelalter, 800 bis 1400: Tradition und Innovation (4. ed.). Berlin: Wolfgang Pfaller. pp. 539–550. ISBN 3-7861-1748-9.