1946 in France
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|See also:||Other events of 1946|
History of France • Timeline • Years
Events from the year 1946 in France.
- Chairman of the Provisional Government (also Prime Minister):
- 16 January – Charles de Gaulle resigns as a head of a French provisional government.
- 20 January – Charles de Gaulle resigns as President of France.
- 6 March – Ho Chi Minh signs an agreement with France which recognizes Vietnam as an autonomous state in the Indochinese Federation and the French Union.
- 19 March – French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Martinique and Réunion become overseas départements of France.
- 7 April – Syria's independence from France is officially recognised.
- 5 May – Constitutional Referendum held and proposed constitution rejected.
- 2 June – Legislative Election held.
- 5 July – The bikini, designed by Louis Réard, is first modeled by Micheline Bernardini at the Piscine Molitor in Paris.
- 13 October – Constitutional Referendum held and constitution approved, creating the French Fourth Republic.
- 10 November – Legislative Election held for the first National Assembly of the Fourth Republic.
- December – Severe winter weather.
- 12 December – Léon Blum founds a government of socialist parties in France.
- 16 December – Luxury brand Christian Dior is established in Paris by designer Christian Dior.
- 24 December – French Fourth Republic founded.
January to June
- 14 February – Tina Aumont, actress (died 2006)
- 7 April – Colette Besson, Olympic athlete (died 2005)
- 13 May – Jean Rondeau, motor racing driver and constructor (died 1985)
- 16 May – Jean-Michel Gaillard, politician (died 2005)
- 19 May – André the Giant, professional wrestler (died 1993)
- 17 June – Gérard Grisey, composer (died 1998)
July to December
- 22 July – Mireille Mathieu, singer
- 30 September – Claude Vorilhon, leader of Raëlian Movement
- 6 November – Romain Argyroudis, soccer player
- 18 November – Pierre Chanal, soldier and suspected serial killer (died 2003)
- 8 December – Jacques Bourboulon, photographer
- 17 December – François Lamoureux, European civil servant (died 2006)
- 24 December – Roselyne Bachelot, politician
Full date unknown
- Alain Dorval, voice actor
Jacques Hiron, journalist and writer
- 9 June – Charles Burguet, film director (born 1878)
- 9 August – Léon Gaumont, inventor, engineer, film pioneer and industrialist (born 1864)
- "Pumain, Denise (1946-)". Virtual International Authority File. Retrieved 23 April 2018.