|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2022.|
2022 (MMXXII) will be a common year starting on Saturday (dominical letter B) of the Gregorian calendar, the 2022nd year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 22nd year of the 3rd millennium, the 22nd year of the 21st century, and the 3rd year of the 2020s decade.
Predicted and scheduled events
- February 4–20 – The 2022 Winter Olympics will be held in Beijing, China. Beijing will be the first city ever to host both Summer and Winter Olympics
- July 18–31 – Durban will host the 2022 Commonwealth Games.[importance?]
- November 21 – December 18 – The 2022 FIFA World Cup is scheduled to be held in Qatar.
- Germany plans to phase out the last of its nuclear power plants.
- 73P/Schwassmann-Wachmann will possibly cause a meteor shower.
- ESA's Jupiter Icy Moon Explorer is scheduled to be launched.
- SpaceX founder and entrepreneur Elon Musk plans to send humans to Mars on a new spacecraft, with flights beginning as early as 2022.
- A collision of the contact binary star system KIC 9832227 will result in a luminous red nova, briefly creating one of the brightest objects in the night sky.
- "FIFA Executive Committee confirms November/December event period for Qatar 2022". FIFA.com. 19 March 2015.
- "Germany: Nuclear power plants to close by 2022". BBC News. May 30, 2011.
- "Comet Breakup Points to Possible Meteor Shower in 2022". Space.com. 2006-05-10. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- Jonathan Amos (2012-05-02). "Esa selects 1bn-euro Juice probe to Jupiter". BBC News Online. BBC. Retrieved 2012-05-13.
- "Elon Musk outlines Mars colony vision". BBC. 27 September 2016. Retrieved 28 September 2016.
- Clery, Daniel (2017-01-06). "Colliding stars will light up the night sky in 2022". Science. doi:10.1126/science.aal0579. Retrieved 2017-02-25.