|Observation data (Epoch J2000)|
|Right ascension||15h 10m 56.20s|
|Declination||+05° 44′ 41″|
|Brightest member||IC 1101|
|Bautz-Morgan classification||I |
|326 Mpc (1,063×106 ly) h−1
|ICM temperature||8.47 keV|
|Binding mass||8×1014 M☉|
|X-ray flux||×10−11 6.94erg s−1 cm−2 (0.1-2.4 keV)|
Abell 2029 or A2029 is a large cluster of galaxies 315 megaparsecs (1,027 million light-years) away in the constellation Virgo. A2029 is a Bautz–Morgan classification type I cluster due to its large central galaxy, IC 1101. Abell 2029 has a diameter of 5.8–8 million ly. This type of galaxy is called a cD-type brightest cluster galaxy and may have grown to its large size by accreting nearby galaxies. Despite its relaxed state, it is the central member of a large supercluster which shows clear signs of interaction.
- Abell, George O.; Corwin, Harold G., Jr.; Olowin, Ronald P. (May 1989). "A catalog of rich clusters of galaxies" (PDF). Astrophysical Journal Supplement Series. 70 (May 1989): 1–138. Bibcode:1989ApJS...70....1A. ISSN 0067-0049. doi:10.1086/191333. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- Walker, S. A.; Fabian, A. C.; Sanders, J. S.; George, M. R.; Tawara, Y. (March 2012). "X-ray observations of the galaxy cluster Abell 2029 to the virial radius". Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society. 422: 3503. Bibcode:2012MNRAS.422.3503W. arXiv: . doi:10.1111/j.1365-2966.2012.20860.x.
- NASA/IPAC EXTRAGALACTIC DATABASE. "NED results for object ABELL 2029". Retrieved March 11, 2012.
- Table 4 from Vikhlinin, A.; Kravtsov, A.; Forman, W.; Jones, C.; Markevitch, M.; Murray, S. S.; Van Speybroeck, L. (April 2006). "Chandra Sample of Nearby Relaxed Galaxy Clusters: Mass, Gas Fraction, and Mass-Temperature Relation" (PDF). The Astrophysical Journal. Chicago, Illinois, USA: University of Chicago Press. 640 (2): 691–709. Bibcode:2006ApJ...640..691V. arXiv: . doi:10.1086/500288.
- Chandra X-ray Observatory, "Galaxy Clusters and Dark Energy: Chandra Opens New Line of Investigation on Dark Energy", Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
- Abell 2029 on WikiSky: DSS2, SDSS, GALEX, IRAS, Hydrogen α, X-Ray, Astrophoto, Sky Map, Articles and images
- The Scale of the Universe (Astronomy Picture of the Day 2012 March 12)
|This galaxy-cluster-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|