Apostolic Vicariate of Puerto Princesa
|Roman Catholic Diocese of Puerto Princesa
Apostolicus Vicariatus Portus Principis in Philippins
Katoliko Romanong Diyosesis ng Puerto Princesa
Immaculate Conception Cathedral
|Metropolitan||Immediately subject to the Holy See|
|Area||8,552 km2 (3,302 sq mi)|
|(as of 2010)
|Sui iuris church||Latin Church|
|Established||10 April 1955|
|Cathedral||Immaculate Conception Cathedral in Puerto Princesa|
|Patron saint||Immaculate Conception|
|Bishop||Pedro D. Arigo|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Ramon Arguelles|
|Vicar General||Jesus G. delos Reyes|
Jurisdiction of the Apostolic Vicariate of Puerto Princesa.
|Source of statistics: "Apostolic Vicariate of Puerto Princesa". Diocesan Directory. UCANews. Retrieved 28 November 2011.|
The Apostolic Vicariate of Puerto Princesa is an Apostolic Vicariate (missionary circoncription, akin to a diocese) in the Philippines. Within the Catholic Church hierarchy, it operates like a diocese and is headed by a titular bishop. Its cathedral see is the Immaculate Conception Cathedral Parish in Puerto Princesa, Palawan. It is exempt, i.e. directly subject to the Holy See, not part of an ecclesiastical province. The Catholic Church in the Philippines is organized into 72 dioceses in 16 Ecclesiastical Provinces, as well as 7 Apostolic Vicariates and a Military Ordinariate.
The current bishop is Pedro D. Arigo.
It was established on 10 April 1910 as Apostolic Prefecture of Palawan on territory split from the then Roman Catholic Diocese of Jaro (now a Metropolitan Archdiocese).
On 3 July 1955, it was promoted as Apostolic Vicariate of Palawan.
On 27 March 2002, it was renamed as Apostolic Vicariate of Puerto Princesa and lost territory to establish the Apostolic Vicariate of Taytay.
The early incumbents were missionary members of the order of Augustinian Recollects (O.A.R.)
- Apostolic Prefects of Palawan
- Friar Vittoriano Romàn Zárate di S. Giuseppe, O.A.R. (1911.04.21 – 1938)
- Friar Leandro Nieto y Bolandier, O.A.R. (1938.11.25 – 1953)
- Gregorio Espiga Y Infante, O.A.R. (1953 - 1955.07.03 see below)
- Apostolic Vicars of Palawan
- Gregorio Espiga Y Infante, O.A.R. (1955.07.03 - 1987 see above)
- Francisco C. San Diego, D.D. (1987 - 1995) - previously Coadjutor Vicar Apostolic of Palawan (1983.06.06 – 1987.12.18).
- Pedro D. Arigo (1996.02.23 – 2002.03.27 see below)
- Apostolic Vicars of Puerto Princesa
- Pedro D. Arigo (2002.03.27 see above - present)
- Roman Catholicism in the Philippines
- List of Roman Catholic dioceses in the Philippines
- Catholic Church hierarchy
- GigaCatholic, with incumbent ordinaties list and linking biographies
- Conference of Catholic Bishops of the Philippines page on the Vicariate of Puerto Princesa
|This article about a Roman Catholic diocese is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|