Roman Catholic Apostolic Vicariate of Puerto Princesa
This article does not cite any sources. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Roman Catholic Apostolic Vicariate of Puerto Princesa|
Apostolicus Vicariatus Portus Principis in Philippins
Katoliko Romanong Apostolico Vicariato ng Puerto Princesa
Vicariato Apostólico de Puerto Princesa
Immaculate Conception Cathedral
|Metropolitan||Immediately subject to the Holy See|
|Area||8,552 km2 (3,302 sq mi)|
(as of 2010)|
|Sui iuris church||Latin Church|
|Established||10 April 1955|
|Cathedral||Immaculate Conception Cathedral in Puerto Princesa|
|Patron saint||Immaculate Conception|
|Bishop||Socrates C. Mesiona M.S.P, D.D|
|Vicar General||Juan Felipe Torrecampo|
|Emeritus Bishops||Pedro D. Arigo, D.D|
Jurisdiction of the Apostolic Vicariate of Puerto Princesa.
|Source of statistics: "Apostolic Vicariate of Puerto Princesa". Diocesan Directory. UCANews. Retrieved 28 November 2011.|
The Apostolic Vicariate of Puerto Princesa is an Apostolic Vicariate in the Philippines. Within the Catholic Church hierarchy, it operates like a diocese and is headed by a titular bishop. Its episcopal see is the Immaculate Conception Cathedral-Parish in Puerto Princesa, Palawan. It is not a part of an ecclesiastical province as it is directly subject to the Holy See, yet for the purpose of apostolic cooperation usually grouped with the Archdiocese of Manila, along with the Roman Catholic Apostolic Vicariate of Taytay. The Catholic Church in the Philippines is organized into 72 dioceses in 16 Ecclesiastical Provinces, as well as 7 Apostolic Vicariates and a Military Ordinariate.
The current bishop is Socrates C. Mesiona M.S.P,D.D.
It was established on 10 April 1910 as the Apostolic Prefecture of Palawan when it split off from the then Roman Catholic Diocese of Jaro (now a Metropolitan Archdiocese).
On 3 July 1955, it was promoted to an Apostolic Vicariate (then the Apostolic Vicariate of Palawan).
On 27 March 2002, it was renamed as the Apostolic Vicariate of Puerto Princesa and lost part of its territory when the Apostolic Vicariate of Taytay was established.
- Apostolic Prefects of Palawan
- Friar Vittoriano Romàn Zárate di S. Giuseppe, O.A.R. (1911.04.21 – 1938)
- Friar Leandro Nieto y Bolandier, O.A.R. (1938.11.25 – 1953)
- Gregorio Espiga Y Infante, O.A.R. (1953 – 1955.07.03 see below)
- Apostolic Vicars of Palawan
- Gregorio Espiga Y Infante, O.A.R. (1955.07.03 – 1987 see above)
- Francisco C. San Diego, D.D. (1987–1995) - previously Coadjutor Vicar Apostolic of Palawan (1983.06.06 – 1987.12.18).
- Pedro D. Arigo (1996.02.23 – 2002.03.27 see below)
- Apostolic Vicars of Puerto Princesa
- Pedro D. Arigo (2002.03.27 – 2016.10.28)
- Roman Catholicism in the Philippines
- List of Roman Catholic dioceses in the Philippines
- Catholic Church hierarchy
- GigaCatholic, with incumbent ordinaties list and linking biographies
- Conference of Catholic Bishops of the Philippines page on the Vicariate of Puerto Princesa