|Elevation||84 m (276 ft)|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Birbhum|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Dubrajpur|
Bakreshwar is a village in Dubrajpur CD Block in Suri Sadar subdivision of Birbhum district in the Indian state of West Bengal. Bakreshwar Thermal Power Station of West Bengal Power Development Corporation Limited and Bakreswar Thermal Power Plant Township are located some distance away from this town.
The word Bakreshwar comes from the name of Lord Shiva worshipped in the locality. Bakra (Vakra) means bent or curved. Ishwar means God. Mythologically it is said that in Satya Yuga during the marriage ceremony of Lakshmi and Narayan, Ashtavakra Muni (then known as Subrata Muni) was insulted by Indra. The muni was so enraged that he developed 8 cripples in his body (Ashtavakra Muni means a sage with 8 curved cripples, probably kyphoscoliotic). Ashtavakra Muni was blessed by lord Shiva here after many years of Tapashya (meditation). This place is also famous as one of the 51 Shakti Pithas where there is a temple dedicated to Adi Shakti. This is a major pilgrimage spot for Hindus.
Bakreshwar is located at  It has an average elevation of 84 metres (276 feet)..
Bakreshwar River flows beside the town.
Hot springs and temples
Bakreshwar is also a place of geological interest with many hot springs. There are ten hot springs here. They are :
- Paphara ganga.
- Baitarini ganga.
- Khar kunda : The water in this spring is of 66 degrees Celsius.
- Bhairav kunda : The water in this spring is of 65 degrees Celsius.
- Agni kunda : Agni means fire. The water in this spring is at 80 degrees Celsius. It is also rich in many minerals of sodium, potassium, calcium, silicates, chlorides, bicarbonates and sulphates which are said to have medicinal properties. It might also contain traces of radioactive elements.
- Dudh kunda : Dudh means milk. The water of this spring attains a dull white hue during early morning probably due to ozone concentration. The water in this spring is at 66 degrees Celsius.
- Surya kunda : Surya means sun.The water in this spring is of 61 degrees Celsius.
- Shwet ganga.
- Brahma kunda.
- Amrita kunda.
Temples at Bakreswar:
- Ma Bhavatarini Mandir(Temple)
- Bakreswar Temple(Main Temple)
- Mahisasur Mardini (Temple)
- Bhairabnath Temple
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Bakreshwar
- "West Bengal Power Development Corporation Ltd". Official website of Department of Power, Government of West Bengal. Archived from the original on 21 February 2009. Retrieved 2009-03-11.
- "Health & Family Welfare Department" (PDF). Health Statistics – Primary Health Centres. Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 10 February 2018.