West Bali National Park
|West Bali National Park|
|Taman Nasional Bali Barat|
|Location||Buleleng, Bali, Indonesia|
|Visitors||5,592 (in 2007)|
|Governing body||Ministry of Environment and Forestry|
West Bali National Park (Indonesian: Taman Nasional Bali Barat) is a national park located in Buleleng Regency, Bali, Indonesia. The park covers around 190 square kilometres (73 sq mi), of which are 158 square kilometres (61 sq mi) land and the remainder is sea. This is approximately 3% of Bali's total land area. To the north, it includes a 1,000-metre (3,300 ft) long beach, reef and islets. A seaport at Gilimanuk is west of the park, and the village of Goris is to the east. The National Park can be reached by roads from Gilimanuk and Singaraja, or by using ferries from Ketapang, East Java.
There are several habitats in the national park, a savanna, mangroves, montane and mixed-monsoon forests, and coral islands. The center of the park is dominated by remnants of four volcanic mountains from Pleistocene era, with Gunung Patas at 1,412 metres (4,633 ft) its highest elevation.
Flora and fauna
Some 160 species can be found inside the park, including the banteng, barn swallow, black-naped oriole, black racket-tailed treepie, crested serpent-eagle, crested treeswift, dollarbird, hawksbill turtle, Indian muntjac, Java sparrow, Javan lutung, large flying fox, leopard cat, lesser adjutant, long-tailed shrike, milky stork, Pacific swallow, red-rumped swallow, rusa deer, sacred kingfisher, savanna nightjar, stork-billed kingfisher, water monitor, wild boar, yellow-vented bulbul and the critically endangered Bali myna.
There are several endangered flora species in this national park, such as: Pterospermum diversifolium, Antidesma bunius, Lagerstroemia speciosa, Steleochocarpus burahol, Santalum album, Aleurites moluccanus, Sterculia foetida, Schleichera oleosa, Dipterocarpus hasseltii, Garcinia dulcis, Alstonia scholaris, Manilkara kauki, Dalbergia latifolia and Cassia fistula.
- Forestry statistics of Indonesia 2007, retrieved 20 May 2010
- "Tentang Kami « Taman Nasional Bali Barat (Bali Barat National Park) – Taman Rekreasi, Jalak Bali, Penelitian, Pariwisata". Tnbalibarat.com. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- Ministry of Forestry: Bali Barat National Park, retrieved 13 October 2010
- "Surabaya zoo releases 40 endangered birds into Bali national park", Waspada Online, 18 June 2011
- Jackson, P. & Nowell, K. (2008). "Panthera tigris ssp. balica". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2015.2. International Union for Conservation of Nature.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for West Bali National Park.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to West Bali National Park.|
- (in Indonesian) Official website