James Erskine, Earl of Mar and Kellie
Educated at Eton, he was Page of Honour to Queen Elizabeth II in 1962 and 1963. He proceeded to Moray House College of Education, Edinburgh, before embarking on a career in social work with various Scottish local authorities. He has also worked as a boatbuilder, and has served with the Royal Auxiliary Air Force and Royal Naval Auxiliary Service.
The earl entered the House of Lords in 1994, having succeeded to the title in the previous year, taking his seat on the Liberal Democrat benches. He lost his seat after the passage of the House of Lords Act 1999. However, in 2000, he was created a life peer as Baron Erskine of Alloa Tower, of Alloa in the County of Clackmannanshire, enabling him to return to the House. He was the Liberal Democrat candidate for the constituency of Ochil in the Scottish Parliament election, 1999.
Owing to a dispute in the nineteenth century, there is another Earldom of Mar, held by Margaret Alison of Mar, 31st Countess of Mar. Precedence as determined by the Decreet of Ranking is Countess of Mar, 4th (created 1404) and Earl of Mar and Kellie, 10th (created 1619).
As the Earl of Mar does not have any children, his heir presumptive is his younger brother Hon. Alexander David Erskine.
|Ancestors of James Erskine, Earl of Mar and Kellie|
- "Jamie Earl of Mar and Kellie". Ochil Liberal Democrats:. Archived from the original on 15 April 2010. Retrieved 25 October 2010.
- "Mar and Kellie, Chief of Erskine". Burke's Peerage & Gentry. Retrieved 14 November 2007.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Earl of Mar and Kellie
- Earl of Mar and Kellie, House of Lords
- Announcement of his taking the oath under his new title at the House of Lords House of Lords minutes of proceedings, 19 April 2000
|Peerage of Scotland|
James Francis Hervey Erskine
|Earl of Mar
|Earl of Kellie
|This biography of a Scottish peer or noble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of a life peer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|