Central University of South Bihar
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Location||Gaya and Patna, Bihar, India|
The Central University of South Bihar (CUSB) is one of the sixteen newly established Central Universities by the Government of India under the Central Universities Act, 2009 (Section 25 of 2009). The university is located at the premises of Birla Institute of Technology, Patna (BIT Campus, P.O.- B.V. College, Patna – 800 014). The university is likely to be relocated to Panchanpur, approximately 10 km from Gaya on Defence land to be transferred soon. The area near Panchanpur where the university campus is to be started has good natural scenic beauty with lots of greenery. It takes about 15 minutes by road from Gaya Railway Station to the University Campus. The closest village to the campus is Dariyapur easily visible from the main gate of the University Campus. The decision of the central government to build the university campus in Gaya has many advantages since the location of Gaya and Panchapur is very strategic with International exposure. Bodh Gaya can be reached within 30-35 mins by road from the university campus. Since the campus is very big, it may provide excellent environment of education. Keeping in view of the permanent location of the university at Gaya, it has been decided to launch new academic programmes at Gaya. It operates from a temporary campus on the grounds of Birla Institute of Technology, Patna. The university will now have its own campus in Gaya. On 28 February 2014, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar laid the foundation stone of the Central University of South Bihar at Gaya. It will be spread in 300 acre campus. After establishment of Mahatama Gandhi Central University in Motihari after the Central Universities (Amendment) Act 2014 is passed in Rajya Sabha, the university will be renamed to Central University of South Bihar. Third Central University in Bihar will be established at Vikramshila in Bhagalpur.
As stated in the Section 5 of the Act, the objective of the University shall be: “... to disseminate and advance knowledge by providing instructional and research facilities in such branches of learning as it may deem fit; to make special provisions for integrated courses in humanities, social sciences, and technology in its educational programmes; to take appropriate measures for promoting innovations in teaching-learning process and inter-disciplinary studies and research; to educate and train manpower for the development of the country; to establish linkages with industries for the promotion of science and technology and to pay special attention to the improvement of the social and economic conditions and welfare of the people, their intellectual, academic and cultural development.”
The President of India, in his capacity as the Visitor of the University, has appointed Janak Pandey as the first Vice Chancellor of the University. Janak Pandey was the founder Vice Chancellor whose tenure completed in March 2014.
M. Nehal a distinguished scientist and administrator was the first Registrar of the Central University of South Bihar.
In pursuance of its objectives and considering the emerging needs of the society, the University evolved through different Programmes ever since its inception in 2009. Initially the university offered only postgraduate studies, in various fields. It made a modest beginning by establishing the Centre for Development Studies under the School of Social Sciences and Policy and launched a two-year Master of Arts in Development Studies in the academic year 2009-2010. In the following Academic Year 2010-11, University launched five more Masters Programmes in Biotechnology, Computer Science, Environmental Science, Mathematics and Statistics. Three more Masters Programmes - Bioinformatics, Communication & Media Studies and Psychology - were added in Academic Year 2011-12. In Academic Year 2012-13, seven new Masters Programmes - Life Science, Economics, English, Hindi, Political Science & International Relations, Sociology and M.Tech. in Computer Science - were started. The University has offered conducive environment, adequate infrastructure support and innovative pedagogies to nurture the students who have joined the University considering unique characteristics of its courses and pedagogy.
The first convocation of the University was held on September 26, 2013.
- School of Earth, Biological and Environmental Sciences.
- School of Human Sciences.
- Center for Psychological Sciences
- School of Languages and Literature.
- Center for Foreign Languages
- Center for Indian Languages
- School of Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science.
- School of Media, Art & Aesthetics.
- School of Social Sciences and Policy.
- School of Education
- School of Law and Governance
- School of Agriculture and Development
- School of Health Sciences
- School of Physical and Chemical Sciences
- School of Management
- School of Technology
- School of Vocational Studies
Observing the importance of the location of this university, CUSB Gaya, has enormous possibilities to achieve Global exposure. CUSB Campus near Dariyapur Gaya, has clean and peaceful surrounding with a very well equipped campus (work in progress) which is very advantageous to invite/admit students from different parts of the globe. The International exposure of this university can globalize Bihar and its youth.
Central University of Bihar Motihari
Admission used to be through Central Universities Common Entrance Test (CUCET), and in addition, in some cases, interview or group discussion. Now the university conducts its own test christened as CUSBET, across cities in India which can be viable as examination centres.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-10-02. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "CUB admission process to begin today". The Times of India.
- "Cong-JD (U) clash mars CUB foundation laying ceremony - The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2014-02-28. Retrieved 2014-05-29.
- "Bill to establish one more central university in Bihar". The Times of India.
- "भागलपुर में खुलेगा तीसरा केंद्रीय विश्वविद्यालय, पीएम ने की थी घोषणा".
- "Plot hunt on for Vikramshila Central University".
- "About the University - Central University of Bihar". Cub.ac.in. Retrieved 2014-05-29.
- "Visitor - Central University of Bihar". Cub.ac.in. Retrieved 2014-05-29.
- "Chancellor - Central University of Bihar". Cub.ac.in. 2013-04-23. Retrieved 2014-05-29.
- "Vice-Chancellor - Central University of Bihar". Cub.ac.in. 2013-04-23. Retrieved 2014-05-29.
- "Central University of Bihar to hold its 1st Convocation today". News.biharprabha.com. 2013-09-26. Retrieved 2014-05-29.
- "Home - Central University of Bihar". Cub.ac.in. Retrieved 2014-05-29.
- "Motihari people still await foundation ceremony of Central University - The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2013-12-28. Retrieved 2014-05-29.
- "Name Central University of Bihar after Buddha, Gandhi: Nitish - The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2013-09-27. Retrieved 2014-05-29.
- "Central team inspects sites near Motihari for Central University of Bihar - The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2014-05-29.
- "Central University at Motihari in Bihar, says govt - The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2012-08-18. Retrieved 2014-05-29.
- Basant Kumar Mohanty (2013-10-09). "Centre frees land for CUB". Telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 2014-05-29.
- "Central University of Bihar | Cub.ac.in - Central University of Bihar". Cub.ac.in. 2013-04-23. Retrieved 2014-05-29.