|Community Area 44 - Chatham|
West Chatham Bungalow Historic District
Location within the city of Chicago
|• Total||2.97 sq mi (7.69 km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|ZIP Codes||60619, parts of 60620|
|Area code(s)||773, 872|
|Median household income||$32,222|
|Source: U.S. Census, Record Information Services|
Chatham is one of the 77 community areas of the city of Chicago, Illinois. It is located on the city's South Side. It includes the neighborhoods of Chatham, East Chatham, West Chatham and the northern portion of West Chesterfield. Its residents are predominantly African American, and it is home to former Senator Roland Burris. Housing many city employees and other officials, Chatham has been a central area for Chicago's middle-class African Americans since the late 1950s.
In the 1990 census Chatham was found to be 1.0% White, 98.7% Black, 0.5% Hispanic, 0.1% Asian and 0.3% other.
In the 2000 census Chatham was found to be 0.32% White, 98.0% Black, 0.59% Hispanic, 0.06% Asian and 1.00% other. The median income was $37,809.
Chatham has stops at 79th Street (Chatham), 83rd Street (Avalon Park), and 87th Street (Woodruff) on Metra's Metra Electric commuter rail line, which provides daily service between downtown Chicago at Millennium Station and the southern destinations of University Park and Blue Island, as well as many CTA bus and train stops. The CTA Red Line stations at 79th and 87th also serve Chatham.
- Simeon Career Academy
- Jimmie Thompson High School
- Arthur R Ashe Elementary School
- Arthur Dixon Elementary School
- James E McDade Elementary Classical School
- Jane A Neil Elementary School
- John T Pirie Fine Arts & Academic Center ES
- Martha Ruggles Elementary School
- Oliver S Westcott Elementary School
- Ted Lenart Regional Gifted Center
- "Community Data Snapshot - Chatham" (PDF). cmap.illinois.gov. MetroPulse. Retrieved November 28, 2017.
- "Chatham". www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org. Retrieved 23 April 2018.
- Encyclopedia of Chicago, "Chatham", Available online at http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/232.html, Cited September 29, 2009
- U.S. Census, Record Information Services.
- http://www.cps.edu/Schools/Find_a_school/Pages/Findaschool.aspx | Chicago Public Schools' Search
- Chatham-South Shore travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org: Chatham
- Official City of Chicago Chatham Community Map
|Greater Grand Crossing, Chicago||
|Avalon Park, Chicago|
|Auburn Gresham, Chicago||Chatham, Chicago|
|Calumet Heights, Chicago|
|Roseland, Chicago||Burnside, Chicago|