North Park, Chicago
|Community Area 13 - North Park|
Location within the city of Chicago
|• Total||2.07 sq mi (5.36 km2)|
|• Density||8,700/sq mi (3,300/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|ZIP Codes||parts of 60625, 60646, 60659|
|Median household income||$53,305|
|Source: U.S. Census, Record Information Services|
North Park is one of 77 well-defined community areas of the City of Chicago. It is bordered by the North Shore Channel on the east, the Chicago River's North Branch and Foster Avenue on the south, Cicero Avenue on the west (except for the section in the northwest corner, north of Bryn Mawr Avenue, which is part of the Sauganash neighborhood) and Devon Avenue on the north.
Originally a Swedish community and later a stronghold of Orthodox Jews, it more recently has been adopted by newer American immigrants, from Latinos[who?] to Middle Easterners[who?], Koreans and Central Europeans (Poles). It is part of the 60625 and 60659 zip codes.
North Park received its name from North Park University that built the Old Main building in 1894 along Foster Avenue west of Kedzie, on the north side of the river. Further north is the campus of Northeastern Illinois University, which opened in 1961. Other major land uses include two large cemeteries, LaBagh Woods forest preserve, Peterson Pulaski Industrial Park, and North Park Village, which includes housing, park facilities, and a nature center.
The Good Counsel Province of the Polish Felician Sisters is headquartered in this neighborhood, as is Chicago's PBS station, WTTW, in the Chicago Production Center. Two universities – North Park University and Northeastern Illinois University – and a Yeshiva make for concentrated educational resources. The closest Chicago Transit Authority "L" train stop is the Kimball terminal on the Brown Line.
North Park is in Jefferson Township, which was annexed into Chicago in 1889.
The education section of the Consulate-General of the People's Republic of China in Chicago is located at 3322 West Peterson Avenue, several blocks away from the rest of the consulate at 4747 W Peterson Ave.
- CICS Northtown Academy
- Stephen Tyng Mather High School
- Northside Learning Center
- Northside College Prep
- Von Steuben Metropolitan High School
- St Bernadette School
- Cheder Lubavitch Hebrew Day School
- Joan Dachs Bais Yaakov
- St Philip Evangelical Lutheran Church and School
- Wonder Montessori School
- North Park University
- North Park Theological Seminary
- Northeastern Illinois University
- Telshe Yeshiva
- Paral, Rob. "Chicago Demographics Data". Retrieved 6 June 2012.
- Paral, Rob. "Chicago Census Data". Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- "Chicago". SkyTeam. Retrieved January 31, 2009.
- "Education Section's Map". Consulate-General of the People's Republic of China in Chicago. Retrieved January 31, 2009.
- "Contacts". Consulate-General of the People's Republic of China in Chicago. Retrieved January 31, 2009.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Chicago/North Park.|
||Lincolnwood, Illinois||West Ridge, Chicago|
|Forest Glen, Chicago|
|Albany Park, Chicago||Lincoln Square, Chicago|