South Deering, Chicago
|Community Area 51 - South Deering|
Location within the city of Chicago
|• Total||8.89 sq mi (23.03 km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|ZIP Codes||parts of 60617 and 60633|
|Median household income||$35,056|
|Source: U.S. Census, Record Information Services|
South Deering, located on Chicago's far South Side, is the largest of the 77 official community areas of that city. It is part of the 10th Ward, once under the control of former Richard J. Daley ally Alderman Edward Vrdolyak. Primarily an industrial neighborhood, a small group of homes exists in the northeast corner and Lake Calumet takes up a large portion of the area. It is the location of Calumet Fisheries, an historic seafood restaurant that opened in 1928 and has been featured on Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations. It was also the location of the Wisconsin Steel Works, originally the Joseph H. Brown Iron and Steel Company, which opened in 1875 and closed in 1980. Since the closing of the steel mill, the neighborhood has encountered economic depression.
Louis Rosen documented the racial transition of this and nearby communities in his 1998 book The South Side: The Racial Transformation of an American Neighborhood.
Jeffery Manor is located between 95th Street on the north, Torrence Avenue on the east, 103rd Street on the south, and the Chicago and Western Indiana Railroad on the west. When the steel mills operated, this area was predominantly Jewish, populated by World War II veterans purchasing their first house. More recently it has become a predominantly African American neighborhood.
The area from 95th to 103rd and from Baltimore Ave. to Manistee is commonly referred to as "Slag Valley", in reference to the slag (waste steel) from the former steel plants, being piled in the area.
South Deering is served by a number of CTA bus routes:
- N5 South Shore Night Bus
- J14 Jeffery Jump
- 15 Jeffery Local
- 28 Stony Island
- 71 71st/South Shore
- 95 95th
- 100 Jeffery Manor Express (weekday rush hours only)
- 106 East 103rd
- Richard Speck, mass murderer
- Jon Burge, police detective convicted of torturing suspects
- Sherman Skolnick, conspiracy theorist
- "Community Data Snapshot - South Deering" (PDF). cmap.illinois.gov. MetroPulse. Retrieved December 3, 2017.
- Rosen, Louis (1998). The South Side : the racial transformation of an American neighborhood. Chicago: Ivan R. Dee. ISBN 1-56663-190-4.
- "Jeffery Manor neighborhood". The Field Museum. Retrieved September 11, 2012.
- Official City of Chicago South Deering Community Map
- Northeastern Illinois University community history project
- Lake Calumet region Journey through Calumet, The Field Museum
|Burnside, Chicago||Calumet Heights, Chicago||South Chicago, Chicago||
|Pullman, Chicago||East Side, Chicago|
|South Deering, Chicago|
|Riverdale, Chicago||Hegewisch, Chicago|