University of Chittagong
Seal of the University of Chittagong
|Established||November 18, 1966|
|Chancellor||President of Bangladesh Abdul Hamid|
|Vice-Chancellor||Iftekhar Uddin Chowdhury|
|311 (Male 277, Female 34)|
(Male 15,598, Female 8,685)
|Campus||Rural, 1,754 acres (7.10 km2)|
|Affiliations||University Grants Commission
Association of Commonwealth Universities
The University of Chittagong (Chittagong University, Bengali: চট্টগ্রাম বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়, CU in short) is a public, multidisciplinary, research university located in Hathazari Upazila, Chittagong District, Bangladesh. The university was established in 1966. It is one of the largest universities by campus area in Bangladesh, and has approximately 22,000 students and 750 faculty members.
|University of Chittagong at a glance|
|Inauguration||18 November 1966|
|Location||Zobra village, Hathajari upazila, Chittagong
22 kilometer from Chittagong city
|Area||1,754-acre (7.10 km2)|
|Undergrad||BA, MA, B.Ed, BSc, MSc, MS, BBA, MBA, LLB, LLM, M.Ed, BSS, MSS, M.B.B.S.|
|Postgrad||M.Phil., Ph.D., M.D., M.P.H|
|Types||Male:6, Female:3, Coed:1|
|Other Staff||Officer:296, 3rd Class Staff:478, 4th Class Staff:1180|
University of Chittagong is located in Fatehpur Union, Hathazari Upazila about 22 kilometers north of the Chittagong city around 1753.88 acres of hilly and flat land. The university was officially launched on 18 November 1966.
The university opened on 18 November 1966 with Master of Arts program classes for 200 students in the Departments of Bengali, English, History, and Economics. The Departments of Medicine, Engineering, Law, and Education were later incorporated as separate departments in colleges outside the university.
Monuments and sculptures
List of Vice-Chancellors
Following is the complete list of the Vice-chancellors.
- A R Mallick (01.10.1966 to 31.01.1972)
- U. N. Siddiqui (Acting V.C.) (21.04.1971 to 30.01.1972)
- M Innas Ali (01.02.1972 to 18.04.1973)
- Abul Fazal (19.04.1973 to 27.11.1975)
- Abdul Karim (28.11.1975 to 18.04.1981)
- M. A. Aziz Khan (19.04.1981 to 18.04.1985)
- Mohammad Ali (19.04.1985 to 22.05.1988)
- Alamgir Muhammad Serajuddin (23.05.1988 to 29.12.1991)
- Rafiqul Islam Chowdhury (30.12.1991 to 06.11.1996)
- Abdul Mannan (06.11.1996 to 13.02.2001)
- Md. Fazle Hossain (14.02.2001 to 02.02.2002)
- A. J. M. Nuruddin Chowdhury (02.02.2002 to 02.02.2006)
- M. Badiul Alam (08.02.2006 to 24.02.2009)
- Abu Yousuf (25.02.2009 to 28.11.2010)
- Md. Alauddin (Acting V.C.) (09.12.2010 to 14.06.2011)
- Anwarul Azim Arif (15.06.2011 to 14.06.2015)
- Iftekhar Uddin Chowdhury (15.06.2015 to present)
# Institute of Law
- Institute of Marine Sciences and Fisheries
- Institute of Forestry and Environmental Sciences
- Institutes of Fine Arts.
- Institute of Modern Languages (IML)
- Social Science Research Institute
- Institute of Educational Research & Training
The Chittagong University Library is situated on the university campus, and since 1990, has been housed in its own building of 56,700 square feet. The library is managed by a 14-member Library Committee. The library collection consists of about 350,000 books and over 40,000 bound journals.
Notable faculty members
- Jamal Nazrul Islam, theoretical physicist and mathematician. Ex-Professor, Mathematics Department. Ex-Professor Emeritus and founding Director of Research Center for Mathematics and Physical Sciences (RCMPS).
- Muhammad Yunus, founder of Grameen Bank, 2006 winner of Nobel Prize in peace. Former professor of Economics Department; initiated a microcredit program in the adjacent area of Jobra.
- Abdul Mannan, Chairman, University Grants Commission of Bangladesh. Ex-Professor, Management Department.
- Abdus Salam, the 1979 recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physics (Doctor of Science, 1981)
- Jamal Nazrul Islam, a physicist, mathematician, astronomer and cosmologist (Doctor of Science, 2008)
- "University of Chittagong at a Glance". cu.ac.bd. University of Chittagong. Retrieved January 8, 2016.
- "Chittagong University". hathazari.chittagong.gov.bd (in Bangla). Hathazari: hathazari.chittagong.gov.bd. Retrieved January 8, 2016.
- Azim, Fayezul (January 2003). "University of Chittagong". In Sirajul Islam. Banglapedia. Dhaka: Asiatic Society of Bangladesh. ISBN 984-32-0576-6. Retrieved January 8, 2016.
- "Faculty of the University of Chittagong.". University of Chittagong. Retrieved 28 September 2014.
- Administrator. "List of Vice-Chancellor and Pro-Vice-Chancellor". Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- Azim, Fayezul. "University of Chittagong". Banglapedia. Bangladesh Asiatic Society. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- "Details of the University of Chittagong". University of Chittagong. 8 July 2012. Retrieved 11 March 2014.
- "Vice-Chancellors". University of Chittagong. Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- Administrator. "About Central Library". Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "University of Chittagong". Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "PriyoShop.com - Online shopping in Bangladesh". Retrieved 16 June 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to University of Chittagong.|