Cornelius, North Carolina
|• Mayor||Woodrow Washam|
|• Chief of Police||Kevin Black|
|• Total||13.12 sq mi (33.98 km2)|
|• Land||12.66 sq mi (32.78 km2)|
|• Water||0.46 sq mi (1.20 km2)|
|Elevation||804 ft (245 m)|
|• Density||2,481.79/sq mi (958.23/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0983573|
Cornelius is a suburban town located along Lake Norman in northern Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, United States. It is a major suburb in the Charlotte metropolitan area. The population was 24,866 at the 2010 census.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 12.1 square miles (31 km2), of which 11.8 square miles (31 km2) is land and 0.3 square miles (0.78 km2) (3.20%) is water. Cornelius is one of three towns in Mecklenburg County located north of Charlotte. Along with its sister towns – Davidson and Huntersville – Cornelius serves as a suburb to Charlotte.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
|Black or African American (non-Hispanic)||1,957||6.23%|
|Hispanic or Latino||2,307||7.34%|
As of the 2020 United States census, there were 31,412 people, 12,307 households, and 7,853 families residing in the town.
At the 2000 census, there were 11,969 people, 5,113 households, and 3,374 families living in the town. The population density was 1,415.5 people per square mile (546.2/km2). There were 5,716 housing units at an average density of 676.0 per square mile (260.9/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 91.65% White, 5.62% African American, 0.21% Native American, 1.24% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 0.50% from other races, and 0.74% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.79% of the population.
Of the 5,113 households 28.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.8% were married couples living together, 6.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.0% were non-families. 27.0% of households were one person and 5.2% were one person aged 65 or older. The average household size was 2.34 and the average family size was 2.87.
The age distribution was 22.4% under the age of 18, 5.8% from 18 to 24, 36.7% from 25 to 44, 27.2% from 45 to 64, and 7.9% 65 or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females, there were 102.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 101.9 males.
According to Claritas Market Statistics, the median household income in 2010 was $83,789.
Schools and libraries
The citizens of Cornelius, NC, attend the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools. Elementary schools include Cornelius Elementary and JV Washam Elementary. Middle schools include Bailey Middle School. William A. Hough High School opened in August 2010 and currently serves over 2,000 students.
- Grace Covenant Academy
- New Beginnings Christian Academy
- Phoenix Montessori Academy
Cornelius is served by a branch of the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County. The library is located in the heart of Cornelius, on Catawba Avenue just east of exit 28 on I-77.
- Erika Brown, Olympic swimmer
- Vicky Bruce, professional women's soccer player
- Kevin Conway, professional stock car racing driver
- Amber Cope, NASCAR driver
- Jerry K. Crump, soldier in the United States Army; received Medal of Honor during the Korean War
- Christian Elder, NASCAR driver
- Mark Fields, NFL cornerback
- Erik Jones, NASCAR driver
- Michael Jordan, Hall of Fame NBA basketball player (resident)
- Steve Letarte, sportscaster and former NASCAR crew chief
- Leilani Munter, former professional race car driver and environmental activist
- Ricky Rudd, NASCAR driver
- Daniel Steedman, soccer player
- Jeff Tarte, politician
- Thom Tillis, politician and businessman
- Brian Voss, PBA and United States Bowling Congress Hall of Fame bowler
- Scot Walters, NASCAR driver
- Hoyt Wilhelm, MLB pitcher and member of the National Baseball Hall of Fame
- "ArcGIS REST Services Directory". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 20, 2022.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Explore Census Data". data.census.gov. Retrieved 2021-12-20.
- "Demographics". Town Of Cornelius. Retrieved October 11, 2013.
- "Corneliis branch of the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County". Archived from the original on 2008-10-06. Retrieved 2008-10-25.
- Erika Brown. swimcloud.com. Retrieved January 15, 2022.
- Vicky Bruce - Women's Soccer - Davidson College Athletics. Retrieved October 28, 2020.
- Kevin Conway. Motor Sport Magazine Database.
- Soble, Stacey. (Oct 4, 2011). With Millennium's Help, Twin Stylists Pursue their NASCAR Dream. Salon Today. Retrieved Dec 14, 2019.
- Cpl. Jerry K. Crump Bronze Portrait Statue - Cornelius Veterans Memorial. Retrieved Aug 17, 2020.
- (Aug 18, 2007). Christian Stuart Elder Obituary. Star Tribune. Retrieved Dec 14, 2019.
- Mark Fields, William Amos Hough, Cornerback. 247sports.com.
- "Your Next Move Starts Here".
- Slater, Darryl. (April 2, 2006). From Sweeping Floors to Making Sweeping Changes. Daily Press. Retrieved Dec 14, 2019.
- Leilani Munter - Women of Motorsports. Zimbio.
- (Sep 18, 2018). Allison & Rudd To Be Honored By N.C. Auto Racing HoF. Speed Sport. Retrieved Dec 14, 2019.
- Daniel Steedman - Charlotte Soccer Academy. chrl.ussoccerda.com.
- Meet Senator Tarte - Jeff Tarte. jefftarte.com.
- Driver Scot Walters Career Statistics. racing-reference.info.