Cornelius, North Carolina
|Cornelius, North Carolina|
The Cornelius branch of the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County
Location of Cornelius, North Carolina
|• Mayor||Lynette Rinker|
|• Chief of Police||Bence Hoyle|
|• Total||12.1 sq mi (31.28 km2)|
|• Land||11.78 sq mi (30.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.78 km2)|
|Elevation||804 ft (245 m)|
|• Density||2,111.6/sq mi (815.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0983573|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 12.1 square miles (31 km2), of which, 11.8 square miles (31 km2) of it is land and 0.3 square miles (0.78 km2) of it (3.20%) is water. Cornelius is one of three towns in Mecklenburg county north of Charlotte. Along with its sister towns - Davidson and Huntersville - Cornelius serves as a suburb to Charlotte, NC.
As of 2011[update], there were 23,000 households, and 3,374 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,415.5 people per square mile (546.2/km2). There were 5,716 housing units at an average density of 676.0 per square mile (260.9/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 91.65% White, 5.62% African American, 0.21% Native American, 1.24% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 0.50% from other races, and 0.74% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.79% of the population.
There were 5,113 households out of which 28.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.8% were married couples living together, 6.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.0% were non-families. 27.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.34 and the average family size was 2.87.
In the town the population was spread out with 22.4% under the age of 18, 5.8% from 18 to 24, 36.7% from 25 to 44, 27.2% from 45 to 64, and 7.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 102.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 101.9 males.
According to Claritas Market Statistics, the median household income in 2010 was $83,789.
Schools and libraries
The citizens of Cornelius, NC, attend the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools. Elementary schools include Cornelius Elementary and JV Washam Elementary. Middle schools include the Bailey Middle School and Community School of Davidson. William Amos Hough High School opened in August 2012 and currently serves over 2000 students.
- Cannon School in Concord
- Davidson Day School in Davidson
- Grace Covenant Academy in Cornelius
- Lake Norman Christian School in Davidson
- New Beginnings Christian Academy in Cornelius
- Phoenix Montessori Academy in Cornelius
- St Mark's Grammar School in Huntersville
- Woodlawn School in Davidson
- Southlake Christian Academy in Huntersville
Cornelius is served by a branch of the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County. The library is located in the heart of Cornelius, on Catawba Avenue just east of exit 28 on I-77.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Staff (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Demographics". Town Of Cornelius. Retrieved October 11, 2013.
- "Corneliis branch of the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County". Retrieved 2008-10-25.