Dana Hills High School
|Dana Hills High School|
|33333 Golden Lantern|
Dana Point, California 92629
|School district||Capistrano Unified School District|
|Enrollment||2,682 (Fall 2016)|
|Color(s)||Blue & Silver|
|Athletics conference||CIF-SS; South Coast League|
Dana Hills High School is a high school in Dana Point, California. It is one of the oldest high schools in South Orange County, having opened in 1973. The school's enrollment of nearly 3,000 students is drawn from the nearby communities of Laguna Niguel, Dana Point, Capistrano Beach, and San Juan Capistrano.
When Dana Hills was built in 1972-73, the area was an unincorporated area of Orange County. The school was named for its hilltop location over the unincorporated village of Dana Point, as well as the tip of the hill projecting south into the Pacific Ocean as the Dana Point headland. The school later became a part of the City of Dana Point, when the city was incorporated in 1989.
Dana Hills now has over 155,839 square feet (14,477.9 m2) in permanent buildings. The principal is Dr. Joshua Porter.
Dana Hills' Academic Performance Index (API) for the year of 2007 was 824.
Dana Hills offers a wide array of Advanced Placement (AP) classes. These AP classes include Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Statistics, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Literature, Language and Composition, Music Theory, Art History, Psychology, Spanish IV, French IV, European History, United States History, World History, Government/Politics, and Computer Science A. All AP classes offer a “grade bump” making a 5.0 GPA possible in that class exclusively.
The Dana Hills newspaper, originally called the Dolphin Dispatch from 1973 to 1992, now simply known as The Paper (stylized as "THE PAPER"), is produced by a staff of roughly 30 students. Ten newspapers are produced each school year.
Dana Hills has a junior medical program, the Health and Medical Occupations Academy. The academy is for those who wish to study or pursue a career in medicine, as it prepares students for higher education in the medical field. Participants are involved in field trips, hospital duties, and view medical procedures as they are performed.
The South Orange County School of the Arts (SOCSA), a part of Dana Hills High School, is a visual and performing arts academy for students within the Capistrano Unified School District. Conceived in 1989 by a group of parents, teachers and administrators, the academy was chartered by the District on November 20, 1995. The pilot program at Dana Hills High School was launched in the Spring semester of 1996.
In October 2000, the SOCSA Foundation was formed to raise funds to support the SOCSA Academy. In the fall of 2015, the Friends of SOCSA was formed as a replacement non-profit to support the SOCSA Academy.
Marine Ecology Program
One of Dana Hills' science courses is the Marine Ecology program, which offers a year of marine science covering both the physical and biological sciences of the ocean.
- Dana Brown, film maker
- Matthew Carl Earl, composer and sound designer
- Ian McCall, wrestler; professional mixed martial artist, retired UFC Flyweight contender
- Nicole Brown Simpson, former wife of Heisman Trophy winner/ex-NFL player and actor O. J. Simpson
- Melinda Clarke of The O.C.
- Brian Ireland of Something Corporate
- Andrew McMahon, lead singer of Jack's Mannequin, Something Corporate, and Andrew McMahon In the Wilderness
- Scott Covington, NFL quarterback for the St. Louis Rams and Cincinnati Bengals
- Seth Etherton, Major League Baseball pitcher for the Anaheim Angels and Cincinnati Reds
- Bao Quach, wrestler; professional MMA fighter
- Tanner Scheppers, MLB pitcher for Texas Rangers
- Fredy Montero professional soccer player
- Erik Apple Professional MMA fighter and from the movie Warrior (2011), formerly competing in Strikeforce (mixed martial arts)
- Jose Cortez, center for Greek Team Athens 2003–2009
- Charlotte Drury, national and international champion trampolinist
- Anthony Cumia, one half of the former Opie and Anthony radio show
- Joey Richter, actor, one of the founding members of Team Starkid
- Ethan Detels, Best lacrosse player to ever play at Dana Hills
- Mitchell Kuwahara, Pecussion Instructor
- Dana Hills High School School Profile 2016-2017 Retrieved 2016-09-25
- 2011 Growth API School Report – Dana Hills High. Api.cde.ca.gov (2012-08-13). Retrieved on 2012-10-11.
- 2010 Growth API School Report – Dana Hills High. Api.cde.ca.gov (2011-10-05). Retrieved on 2012-10-11.
- 2009 Growth API School Report – Dana Hills High. Api.cde.ca.gov. Retrieved on 2012-10-11.
- 2008 Growth API School Report – Dana Hills High. Api.cde.ca.gov (2010-03-26). Retrieved on 2012-10-11.
- 2007 Growth API School Report – Dana Hills High. Api.cde.ca.gov (2008-08-20). Retrieved on 2012-10-11.
- "Ian McCall UFC Bio". Retrieved 2014-01-01.
- "Bao Quach MMA Bio". Retrieved 2014-01-01.
- "Erik Apple MMA Bio". Retrieved 2014-01-01.